Transfer from PC to Tivo failed because file not found...

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by clearskies, Mar 17, 2006.

1. clearskies

clearskies New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    OK, I've saved a couple of home files as mpeg-2 videos and put them in my Tivo folder on my PC. The Tivo sees them, I select them, attempt a transfer and the transfer fails.

After looking at the todo list (history) the error I'm getting is:

"The transfer failed because the file was not found on computer_name (user)"

Huh?

Can some one help me out here? The files are there - Tivo can see them when it scans the PC. I can display photos and play MP3's. I can DL stuff off my tivo to the PC, I just can't upload it.

I'm running tivo software version 7.2, desktop 2.2, windows XP home.

The files are encoded at 720x480 in mpeg2 video, mpeg1 audio as specificed in the knowledge base article.

What am I missing?

Thank you!

2. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Check your audio bit rate and sample rate, and the fps and video bit rate.

what are they?

3. clearskies

clearskies New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Audio is 128, sample is 44100 - frame rate should have been 29.97 (but for some reason it didn't seem to have been saved in my settings), and video bit rate is 3072.

Thanks

4. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    The safest audio is 192kbps @48000Hz.

Since we don't know your frame rate, that is the best bet for the problem. The video bit rate is fine.

5. clearskies

clearskies New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Well, I think I may have found the problem. I thought I was encoding sound at mpeg1 layer 2, but apparently it's encoding at mpeg2.

The software I'm using does not support that codec for audio in conjunction with mpeg2 video.

What conversion software should I be looking at?

Thanks

6. JoeyImage

JoeyImage New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Jersey
    VideoRedo

Whatever the file extension is (even if it is already MPG) convert it to MPG. I will convert to a Tivo-readable file. Put it in the Tivo folder, and you're good to go. I had the 100% exact same problem for the past couple weeks until I found 'Redo.

7. clearskies

clearskies New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Thanks!

I haven't checked the knowledge base for this yet (and I'm about too) - but is there any way to put a program description with my own movies or am I limited to a title? And is there any way to sort my own movies into a folder of their own once they are uploaded?

8. JoeyImage

JoeyImage New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Jersey
    In other words, when you're seeing the Tivo menu, you want to see a description of what each MPG file/video actually is? I don't think so, other than the filename itself. And, uploaded to where? The Tivo? Also no, they'll be in the (PC NAME HERE) folder.

Let me know how VideoRedo works for you. :)

9. clearskies

clearskies New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Yep. When I'm seeing the Tivo menu, it would be nice to put a description with them along with the title. And yep. Uploaded to the Tivo from PC.

I'll look at videoredo, but found a couple of other methods that work -

1) I can convert it to a vob and then rename the file manually to a mpg
    2) there's a freeware converter videora offers that I want to play with first.

Free is good.

:)

Thanks again!

10. JoeyImage

JoeyImage New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Jersey

Cancel what I told you earlier. I was thinking of the wrong software. I downloaded VideoRedo AND Videora yesterday and with similar names, I got them confused. For conversion, Videora's Tivo converter is the only way to go. I use VideoRedo only to cut out commercials for DVD burning. If you manually rename a vob to an mpg, that doesn't make it an mpg, it makes it an
    incorrectly-labeled vob. IIRC, vob's aren't identical to mpg's so renaming it will probably do nothing. Use Videora and you will have zero problems :) As for descriptions, no, just have to do it in the filename.

11. clearskies

clearskies New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Yup you are completely correct, but - IIRC VOB's are used for DVD, and IIRC, isn't most DVD encoding done using mpeg2 and ac3?

I can testify that renaming a .VOB to a .MPG and uploading it to tivo works fine - video and audio playback is quite good. (The renamed file crashed Media Player 10 on the PC, but Tivo had no issues with it.) In fact, I actually did this several times last night and today before I found the freeware Videora Tivo Converter. Evidently the software on the TIVO is less dependent on file extension than header information. I wonder if just uploading a straightforward VOB would have worked.

Ah well, Videora Tivo Converter works great and is free to top it off.

Thank you Very Much for your help. I continue to be impressed by how the folks at Tivo continue to release new features for their products after they have been deployed.

These guys are gonna make me wanna buy a series 3.

:)