TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Transfer from old subcriber

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  All-In 
#1 ·
Sorry for what is probably a dumb question, but I bought an S3 with a lifetime subscription, years ago. The old owner had to call in and transfer the account to me. It was kind of an involved process as I recall but I don't remember all the details.

I just bought a used TiVo Bolt but it didn't have a lifetime subscription. The original owner told me he upgraded to the Edge.

Since there is no Lifetime/All-in to transfer, do I need to ask the previous owner to do anything? Or can I just call up TiVo and subscribe this (used) Bolt like it was a brand new one I bought at Best Buy?

#2 ·
Tivo will need the tsn and their records will show that it belongs to someone else, not a new one. I have in the past bought used TiVos and had no trouble setting them up in my name without any action by the previous owner. Normal procedure is for the seller to call TiVo and get a ticket number and then you call TiVo and reference this number. But, like I said, I had no trouble setting up TiVo’s without doing that. Call and see what happens.

#3 ·
All-In,
Having a lifetime sub in your account will automatically give you a discount on a new subscription that you purchase.

If your S3 is in working condition, you will need to connect it to TiVo, run a guided setup and update the unit to your Zip code. Once you have done that, call TiVo again and they will transfer the unit and lifetime service to your account.

#5 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied. Just to clarify- I was only talking about setting up the used Bolt (not my old S3)

I finally got around to doing it and it was fine, I didn't need anything from the previous owner. I signed up online in my existing Tivo Account and the Bolt shows up in my Active Devices list now. One interesting thing is that I found out the used Tivo was a refurb, since it says "Tivo-renewed Bolt" in the device description instead of "TiVo Bolt"

#6 ·
If the Tivo doesn't have service, then there is nothing to transfer. They are happy to have someone paying a recurring subscription.

#7 ·
That's kind of what I thought and alluded to in the OP but my only experience with buying a used TiVo before was with the lifetime service, and that required additional interaction with the original owner. I was 90% sure that buying a used Bolt WITHOUT lifetime wouldn't require the previous owner to do anything, but I was a little nervous because it was an eBay purchase and ebay doesn't let you exchange contact information so it would have been difficult to coordinate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.