Transfer Copy Protected Shows

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by PSU_Sudzi, Feb 25, 2020.

1. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Is it possible to copy a protected show e.g. movie from HBO, from one TiVo to another on your network?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What do you think copy protected means? You cannot copy it at all.

There is an alternative, if the Tivos are Premieres and above, the shows can be streamed between the two.

3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I know there are levels of flags and you can copy a movie from HBO to a phone etc. and it’s gone from the original device. Didn’t know if it was the same between TiVos or not.

4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    On my Tivos it's always said 'non-transferable' and that's that. Fortunately, when I got better internet years ago it made it easy to just play from either box without problems, so I'm glad for that because back when my internet was not as good it would take forever to transfer (wireless) shows. Now it's like 4-5min for a one-hour HD show, but I don't do that much anymore.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  5. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I only have a TiVo and a Mini, so I can't speak for TiVo to TiVo. But on a Mini, I can watch HBO movies from my main TiVo.

There are different levels of the CCI, so it depends on what the cable company sets. Cox in my area sets it to 0x02 - Copy Once.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No you can't. They only implemented that copy/delete in the mobile app in conjunction with streaming which is not the way that TiVo's transfer shows between each other.

Scott

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  7. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Yes.

But the latest Tivo that can do it (as the Tivo of origin) is a model HD and it needs some modification that is not trivial. The Tivo to which the show is moved to can be any model, and the show can then move from any Tivo to Tivo with no restriction.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  8. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    protected material cannot be copied digitally.
    I have heard "it" can be rerecorded in real time by way of analog (composit or s-video) outputs.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  9. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    As long as they don't set the CCI to 0x04 or 0x07 which introduces Macrovision on the analog outputs. But I haven't seen those set ever. Usually they set it to 0x02, which means "you get to record it to your TiVo and that's it".