Transfer between units--A CAUTIONARY TALE!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVoEvan74, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1 of 19
    TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004

Advertisements

Aarghh!

I transfered several shows between 2 TiVos, checked to make sure that they had shown up in the 2nd unit, then deleted the originals.

BIG MISTAKE! :eek:

Although the 2nd TiVo showed that the shows had transfered, they were only partial transfers! :mad: Geesh! That means one should always double-check the amount of time of the transfered show--and look out for the "partial" listing.

Why in the world the TiVo stopped in the middle and went on to transfer the other shows is beyond my ken...

Oh, well, I've now set up a Wish List for "Bonnie Hunt" as one of the lost shows was her latest appearance on Letterman. :up:

On a related front, my intra-unit transfers have slowed down dramatically... any explanation or things to look into?

2. Jan 6, 2006 #2 of 19
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Sounds like intermittent interference. Wired or wireless?

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 19
    TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Thanks for responding... should've mentioned... it's wireless... and definitely degraded since the fall in terms of transmission times... it's been taking hours and hours to transfer just a couple of shows.

Would use of the network by a computer cause interference?

What's odd is that the TiVo reported a problem at one point... and said it would resume automatically from where it left off. NOT!

4. Jan 6, 2006 #4 of 19
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    While I was still trying to get wireless to work efficiently I did notice that retransmission after an error took far too long resulting in very extended transfer times.

High frequency wireless can be very strange at times, so there's lots of things that might being causing problems such as closing a door due to the cold weather, moving furniture or a neighbour buying a 2.4Ghz cordless phone. Another computer joining the network might affect bandwidth but shouldn't cause errors.

First check for any new 2.4Ghz devices and anything new blocking the directly line between devices, it's probably as well to also try with the computer off just in case. Then check for antenna placement, if the antenna is vertical the strongest signal is going to radiate out hortizontally, so if both antenna are at the same height they should both be vertical. If they were vertically seperated, such as directly above on the second floor, the antenna should be horizontal. Finally if you have an extension USB cable try moving the wireless adapter arround till you get the strongest signal.

5. Jan 6, 2006 #5 of 19
    bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY

Advertisements

You have my sympathies, TE74. I tried to set up my SA TiVo wirelessly with two different adapters before I gave up, picked up a Linksys USB-200M, 300 ft. of Cat5e cable, a pack of RJ-45 connectors, a crimping tool, a stripping tool, and a splicing tool and haven't looked back. The wireless constantly crapped out and even TiVo support gave up on it. I know they have their own solution now, but it comes six months too late for me.

6. Jan 6, 2006 #6 of 19
    cynthetiq

cynthetiq Member

Mar 13, 2004
    yep sounds exactly like a typical wifi issue where it doesn't complete the transfer.

I don't have that issue since I don't 2.4 on my phone. But a number of people I know who have them do have issues each and every time they pick up the phone and chat with someone.

7. Jan 7, 2006 #7 of 19
    TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Appreciate the detailed reply. I have my two TiVos in the same room and the wireless adapters on the same VCR cart! But there is a TV in between them, so I've now repositioned them both on top of the TV about a foot away from each other--and with both antennae stright up. I'm trying another round of transfers this morning and will see whether that speeds things up. (Do you think a TV in between adapters could create a problem?)

I'll have to go back to an old related thread on this, too... I've been round this block before -- then it was difficulty with signal strength with both wireless adapters in the same room. Once I moved the TiVos to different rooms (along with their adapters), they connected to the network easily. (That's not the problem now, though--even in the same room, they connect easily and have excellent signal strength!)

If today's test doesn't net me a speed increase, I'm going to try the separate room trick again and see whether that improves things.

8. Jan 7, 2006 #8 of 19
    TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Ah, yes... the portable phone issue... ours in an older hybrid 2.4/900... supposedly... and it definitely creates some static on our A/V transmission system, though it used to be unwatchable if someone were on the phone.

As to direct wiring... with both TiVos in the same room, is there a way to simply run a wire between the two units? Or do I have to get an ethernet router and directly wire both to it? That would mean lots of cable throughout the family room, across the garage entrance way.

9. Jan 7, 2006 #9 of 19
    TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Well, reporting back. First off, having the two wireless adapters a foot apart didn't work well at all. I even tried turning off the A/V wireless unit which is another 2.4 jobbie. After an hour, only about 4 minutes had transfered. On the second test, one of the TiVos actually froze and then rebooted itself. Bizarre!

So, I moved one TiVo and adapter upstairs. Tested a transfer under less than favorable conditions. Signal strength upstairs is only about 50% (vs. 80-90% when it was downstairs). Upstairs TiVo was recording a show. I was watching a show on the downstairs unit. In spite of all that, amazingly, after a half an hour, over a half an hour of show had transfered!! So, GREAT IMPROVEMENT with the TiVos and adapters in separate parts of the house! It's now actually usable again for transfers.

I truly don't understand this at all... transfers are better, faster, and without error with lower signal strength and in different rooms. The only explanation I have is that the adapters interfere with each other on a transfer when they are in the same area.

Now, I'm back to an old problem in that the TiVo can be too noisey to remain in the bedroom. I need to figure out how to cable it into another room and IR the remote back into the bedroom.

10. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    If you just want MRV and can use the phone for daily updates then you can connect the Tivo's back to back. Just get two wired adapters and a cross over cable.

For more functionality get a wireless bridge, haven't done it myself but there is information in the HMO and TTG forum. If you get a bridge with a built in switch and 2 wired adapters you can wire both tivo's to the bridge then Tivo to Tivo traffic will never leave the room, just going wired to the bridge and back out over the other wire to the second Tivo. But any broadband traffic such as daily updates will get sent over the wireless to your internet router.

11. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Thanks... we'll have to check that out... could be a pretty $$ however for the 2nd solution which we'd have to use. We need the network for "phoning home" as we get charged for the daily phone calls and that would run up the money quickly.

12. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    I transferred a 1 1/2 hour movie yesterday....um...Saturday...um over the weekend. I started it Saturday evening and didnt finish until Sunday evening. wireless I have a 240 with a Netgear 802b and a 540 with Linksys 802b. Ive noticed that when I try to transfer from the 240 to the 540...the 240 will "lose" the net connection to where i have to pull and reseat the adapter multiple times throughout the transfer.

But if i transfer from the 540 to the 240 i get better than real time with no network lost.

As such i ALWAYS check the show time.

13. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Well, with the units in separate room, transfers happened in a "flash"... well slight exagerration... 7 hours transfered in 5, 1.5 hours in 1. So, it's about 40 minutes for an hour show on average. Far better than the interrupted, failed transmissions we were getting. And every show transfers completely without fail. There has to be a problem with having the wireless adapters in the same VCR cart... or with having a TV right next to them!

14. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Each Tivo communicates with the Router, not directly to the other Tivo. So having the two units close together will results in a very strong signal from the other Tivo swamping the much weaker signal from the router.

If you really want the 2 Tivo's close together one other option might be to purchase 2 directional antennas and position the 2 antennas, so both point at the router but not at each other.

15. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Ah, that helps explain it. So I'd be better off separating them and positioning them towards the router rather than each other. I get it now.

I'll have to try this!

16. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    Couple other things to keep in mind:
    • Just because your phone says it is 5.8 GHz does not mean it is purely 5.8 GHz. Many, many are really hybrids, doing 5.8GHz one way and 2.4 the other.
    • Bluetooth is also 2.4 GHz -- watch for that.
    • Microwaves thoroughly swamp out 2.4 GHz when running. Don't nuke the hot dog while you're transferring a show. :)
    The best phone to get is a 900MHz, because they actually have better range and won't interfere, but good luck finding anything other than cheap entry level models. Bah.

17. mbalgeman

mbalgeman Bagel Man

Feb 6, 2002
    My suggest to everyone is to consider moving your router to your entertainment center. That way you can wire up your TiVo(s). In most cases, this means you need to go wireless with your computer(s), but it seems to me that in most cases, computers are better at dealing with weaker signals than TiVo.

Also note, it might be a good idea to try a different channel for your wireless network. I was having a fair number of problems with interference until I moves off of channel 6. I could see 4 or 5 different networks from my house, most of which were on the same channel. That little change fixed me right up.

18. MTBRScott

MTBRScott New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Where do you change the wireless channel within TivO? I see where to do it on all my other stuff, but not in TiVo? Will the adapter figure that out?

19. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Yeah, just change it on the WAP.