Transfer Between TiVos

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by Greg Kuritz, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Greg Kuritz

Greg Kuritz New Member

Sep 21, 2020

Advertisements

Hi...

I currently have two TiVo boxes, a XL and XL4. I regularly transfer shows and parts of shows between the two devices and to my PC. I am thinking about getting the new EDGE TiVo but have read that transferring to PC is no longer supported. Can you still transfer between the Edge and another (older) TiVo? Also, is the option to transfer from a paused location still there? If so, can you transfer a show from the Edge to the XL4 and then from there transfer the show to the PC?

Thanks!

Greg

2. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    With the Edge running the TE4 software and all DVRs on the same account and same network:
    • You can still transfer between TiVos (provided the show is not copy protected) but it has to be done using TiVo Online. It cannot be done from the DVR. Also, TiVo Online will only transfer the whole show; there is no way to transfer just from a pause point.
    • You can still stream content from the Edge to either of your Premieres (and vice versa)
    • You can transfer non copy protected shows from the Edge running TE4 to your PC (e.g., using pytivo).
    • You cannot transfer from your PC directly to the Edge running TE4. You would have to transfer from your PC to one of your Premieres, then use TiVo Online to transfer it to the Edge.

Kunzorama likes this.
  3. Greg Kuritz

Greg Kuritz New Member

Sep 21, 2020
    Thank you for all the great information. One question: TE4 I guess is the operating system? If I buy a new Edge now, will it have TE4?

Thanks!!!

Greg

4. pfiagra

Oct 13, 2014
    Yes, TE4 refers to the OS software, and Edge will only run TE4.

5. jangell2

jangell2 Member

Jan 21, 2002

Advertisements

I think in the question above, it is referring to TiVo’s the owner is keeping. What would happen if Tivo replaced and Edge with another? Could I transfer shows from the old to the new before returning the old Tivo?

6. pfiagra

Oct 13, 2014
    As long as the two DVRs are on the same account, have active service, and are on the same network, you can transfer non copy protected shows using TiVo online.

7. jangell2

jangell2 Member

Jan 21, 2002
    What shows are usually copy protected? My Tivo mainly contains the networks and cable channels.

8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That depends on your cable provider. Some copy-protect almost all while others only tend to copy-protect the movie channels (We have Comcast and they follow the latter model).

Scott

jangell2 likes this.
  9. Michael Gargano

Michael Gargano New Member

Oct 13, 2020
    I'm trying to transfer recordings and One Passes from my TiVo Premiere XL to my new TiVo Edge, but TiVo Online keeps giving me error message: "There is a problem communicating with this TiVo box. Make sure your box is connected to your home network, then try again." related to the Premiere. It will see the To-Do List on the Premiere, but when I try to go to One Pass Manager tab, it gives me that error message.

Contacted support and they said it's some kind of communication issue between the Premiere and Edge and some kind of software that's missing on the Edge that's causing TiVo Online not to have visibility to the Premier, which made zero sense to me.

Anyway, they said they'd get back to me in 3-400 business days, so I guess I should just sit tight with my new Edge that I apparently wasted money purchasing.

10. justinw

justinw Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Did you just activate the new Edge? I think it took a day or two after being activated for me to be able to transfer from my Roamio to the Edge.