Transfer AVI PC file to My Shows on Tivo

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by fpepper, Nov 21, 2011.

1. fpepper

fpepper New Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Hi,

New to Tivo in the UK.....How can I transfer movies on my PC to the Tivo box for viewing????? What software do I need and can it be done without purchasing new program?
    Cheers for any help

2. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    That's all you really need.

If you can afford a Tivo then you can afford to $25 or so needed to buy the registered version of the program.

Maybe a video file conversion program, too, if the format is unreadable on the Tivo. Many free ones out there. Pick one out and try it!

3. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    That's assuming Tivo Desktop works with the UK VM Tivo; which we don't have confirmation of yet.

4. Pine Cladding

Pine Cladding Large member (Ooer!)

Aug 4, 2001
    Fareham, UK
    Doesn't appear to at the moment

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

5. fpepper

fpepper New Member

Nov 19, 2011
    I wondered if that would be the case

6. Paul Webster

Paul Webster Member

Nov 16, 2003
    UK
    If the Virgin TiVo had the equivalent to the US TiVo "Music, photos, & Showcases" (TiVo HME - Home Media Engine extension) then StreamBaby would have been a way to do this.
    http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/
    It becomes a streaming source that the TiVo can play from (so the video is not transferred to the hard-drive of the TiVo - but you can watch it live).
    It uses ffmpeg to do transcoding to formats supported by TiVo.

Has anyone asked Virgin to enable this?

(I installed StreamBaby to see if the TiVo box magically noticed it and added it to the menu but it didn't - I did not force a restart though)

7. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    iTivo works (except everything is copy protected so it can't download anything).

It should be possible to get pyTivoX running somehow. I used to stick things in now playing on 15.1 and I'd be surprised if it's not possible in 15.2.. might need some twiddling.

8. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Not sure I'm reading that correctly - you've managed to import video onto the VM TiVo ? in 15.1 ?!

9. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    No, just a line of text that said something silly. I had a little bash script that did it. Might see if i can dig it out of the backups.

In 15.1 the Tivo would respond to multicast and put the details on now playing.. actually clicking on it caused a nice crash :p

10. Paul Webster

Paul Webster Member

Nov 16, 2003
    UK
    Isn't iTivo for download (from TiVo to desktop) - original request is for the other direction ... hence my suggestion of StreamBaby but I think that Virgin would have to enable HME for it to work.

pyTivoX seems to include StreamBaby ... so I assume would have the same problem.

11. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    I've managed to hack pyTivo to appear on now playing, but it's a very fast way to crash the tivo right now.. Confident I'll get something going though.

12. fpepper

fpepper New Member

Nov 19, 2011
    yOU GUTS ARE WELL AHEAD OF ME. wHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.......::rolleyes:

13. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    <Edit>

Bah. give up. You can get it to try to connect but it tries to connect to another port (port 2191) on the PC then dies because it's not open - the protocol is different to what pyTivo implements.

I reckon it's possible.. it's not *that* far from what they have in the US... after all the remotes work (you could probably make something that looked like tivoweb.. for nostalgia's sake if nothing else).

14. fpepper

fpepper New Member

Nov 19, 2011
    How come this facility is available in the USA but not here, do Vigin need to get a finger out so we can use Tivo Desktop????????????

15. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Could be any number of reasons really.