Tranferring prohibited notice - ??

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by aliceand, Sep 20, 2011.

1. aliceand

aliceand New Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Santa...
    I finally connected a TiVo Premiere in the living room and have a TiVo HD XL in the bedroom. About 90% of the shows recorded can't be transferred from one TiVo to the other. I get that red circle with a slash through it and it says "Transferring prohibited by the copyright holder." This is happening since I hooked up the Premiere. I previously had a Series 2 in the living room and had no problem transferring any shows. HELP!!!

2. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    CableCARDs verify the CCI byte value of all recordings whereas your Series2 just blindly transferred everything. There is nothing you can do to fix this.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Keep in mind that Tivos current method of MRV is to copy the show.
    The Series 2 recorded your shows in analog. Analog copies of programs are allowed to be transferred because of the inferior quality (I believe the CCI byte isn't inserted in the analog signal).
    Now that you have Tivos that have digital copies of shows, the CCI byte is enforced and MRV is prohibited.
    Digital copies are bit for bit which means there is no degradation in the signal. You could make a copy of a copy of a copy, (etc.) and it would remain exact to the original. The content owners don't want you to be able to do that.

TiVo is supposedly working on streaming MRV which is allowed under the rules, but I think that is going to be for Premiere to Premiere only.

4. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    You could read a long technical explanation, but the bottom line is:

"The cable company made it not work."