Training a reluctant R15

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jaguar325, Jan 2, 2006.

1. jaguar325

jaguar325 New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Anybody out there having problems with an R15 getting trained on to-do lists? I have had this receiver for about a week and cannot figure out why it keeps recording reruns even though I have "new episodes only" checked. When I first set mine up, I noticed that it selected selected all episodes to recrod. I figured this was because the SW & program monitoring is not intelligent enough to know what is a new run vs. rerun and that it really tracks new vs. rerun by storing history about what you've recorded in the past and makes sure to not record the same thing again. If this is correct, it means that you've got a relatively lengthy "training" process to go through on shows that have a lot of past episodes that run all the time. I decided this wasn't the end of the world and just made sure to check every day for what got recorded and delete all the old stuff I had recorded on my older TiVo box. The funny thing is, it appears to be recording some shows again.. even after I have recorded and subsequently deleted them on the new receiver. Anybody else having this problem? Figure out a solution?

(I double/triple-checked and only have the system set to record new episodes)

Another question I have is whether others are noticing the difference in program descriptions? Is it just me or did you get more info from TiVo about a program? The DTV descriptions aren't bad, but they seem less complete and, in some cases, all I get it a program title and no program description. I figure these ones are for sure going to get recorded more than once since the system has no reference to compare against to figure out what's a new program vs. rerun. I don't remember this ever happening with TiVo.. and, yes, I do have the system hooked up to a phone line and, as far as I know, it is current on SW and program updates. BTW: the previously mentioned problem with not filtering out reruns is not just for programs that have no descrpitions.. I have been watching for that.

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    There are some on going "quirks" with the R15...

However, all discussion of the R15 has been moved to the www.dbstalk.com forum (since this is a TiVo board)

3. jaguar325

jaguar325 New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Thanks Earl.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    And, Earl the thread cop, on all things R15, redirects another member to DBSTalk. :)

5. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    :) Easy way to rack up cheap post count ticks.....

6. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    I really wish the R-15 talk was allowed HERE. This board is better moderated than dbstalk and way to much nonsense is allowed over there compared to here. There its just all arguments.

Rich

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Well, if the R15 was a TiVo box I'm sure it would be allowed.

8. BillyT2002

BillyT2002 Crush!Kill!Destroy!

Oct 19, 2002
    Waterville, ME
    Sometimes you have to just break the rules. I'm not saying to do so, of course; I'm just saying that you could choose to talk about the R15 here and see how far it goes. ;)

If I had anything further to say on the R15 (which would be all negative) I would and I wouldn't much care where I did it. ;)