Trailing comma in genre

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by minckster, Oct 11, 2008.

1. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC

Advertisements

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    And exactly why is this a problem?

3. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Tell you what...

You send that horrid, malfunctioning machine to me, and I'll put it out of its misery for you....

...or something. :D

4. Bsteenson

Bsteenson TiVo is no BS

Jul 30, 2000
    Iowa
    You didn't call a help line. You didn't call customer service. You posted on a community forum, where people have as much right to comment on the nature of your question as they do to try and come up with an answer.

What did you expect?

BS

5. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007

Advertisements

I smell a class action lawsuit...

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I've never considered sitting in my recliner and pressing a few buttons to be a lot of work, a little work, or even any work at all.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I can't say I've noticed...but I will look.

Okay, what I see on my TivoHD...
    If there are less than 3 categories for genres, there is a trailing comma.
    example: Doctor Who shows *Fantasy, Science Fiction, *.
    If there are at least 3 categories for genres, there is no trailing comma.
    example: CSI:NY shows *Action Adventure, Crime Drama, Mystery *.

That tells me Tivo has 'reserved space' for at least 3 genre categories in a shows description. Does that mean if there are 4 categories listed, there won't be a comma between the 3rd and 4th? Who knows?

Now...back to why this bothers you...are you seeking professional help? ;)

:D

8. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    My reaction to the OP questions is the same as Jim's. Did I miss a mention of the impact of these trailing commas? Are programs not being found/recorded that should be?

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sheesh, guys back off! He asked a legitimate question because he was curious if this was a general cosmetic bug or something wrong only with his TiVo. He didn't deserve all the rude, snarky comments.

OP - This appears to be a cosmetic issue in the TiVo software itself. It seems that TiVo database contains fields for genre for each show, and apparently the loop TiVo uses to build the "Category" string displayed on the info screen applies the trailing comma before checking to see if the next genre field is blank or not. This is a very, very, minor programming error and probably not very high on TiVo's list of things to fix. Your database is not corrupt and there is no need to clear anything. Also if you're worried about the XML... don't. Any software you use (or write) which reads that XML will simply ignore the empty genre tag.

Dan

10. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    more button pressing
    It takes time and it can be a pita, but still not work

No, they don't. But that's not saying that they don't create wonderful necessary and unnecessary programs.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Hey wait a minute! Programming is a lot harder then just pressing some buttons on the keyboard. It may not be manual labor, but it's very mentally taxing. I've had plenty of nights where I've felt physically exhausted after a full day of programming even though I never actually left my chair. There is a reason why programmers are paid so well, it's a lot harder to do then people might think.

Dan

12. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Asking what problems it is causing seems to be a natural follow up question that may lead to a more productive answer.

13. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You're welcome!!!!

BTW, my question is still standing! And this isn't being snarky.:)

14. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    So on Cops it says "Crime, Reality, (2006) Traffic stops lead to...."

It would've never occurred to me that the comma is 'extra'. It appears to belong there to me.

So I'm with Jim in wondering is this causing an issue or something? What makes the OP think it isn't supposed to be there...?

15. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Thinking is another thing that I've never considered to be work.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    On the extended info page, reached by pressing the info button, those genres are listed on their own line like so...

Categories: Crime, Reality,

That's where the extra comma appears out of place.

You obviously don't have a job that requires much thinking.

Dan

17. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    I don't have this on the series 3. Info: First screen shows the show description, second is what's recording on the second tuner, third is audio tracks, fourth is kid zone, fifth is closed captioning.

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Go into the description of any program on your TiVo and press the "Info" button on your TiVo remote. This will pull up an extended info screen with lists of things like the actors in the program, guest stars, categories, and even similar programs. Some programs have more info then others, but all of them have this screen in one capacity or another.

Dan

19. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    I get that, but the comma doesn't look out of place, it's before the description of the program.

20. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Dan is referring to a different screen than you are. You are looking at the information displayed in the banner area. He is referring to going into "Now Playing", from the main menu and pressing Select on an item, then Info.