Traffic Light: "Pilot" 2/8/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TIVOSciolist, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Feb 9, 2011 #1 of 33
    TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...

Advertisements

I had no idea what this show was about but DVRed it just in case. It turns out to be a pretty funny and well-written show. I love the ensemble cast, including especially Liza Lapira (formerly Topher's assistant on "Dollhouse"). It was also great to see Kris Marshall from "Love Actually."

Give it a try.

2. Feb 9, 2011 #2 of 33
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    They had me at 'She's very symmetrical. Don't blow it.'

3. Feb 9, 2011 #3 of 33
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I saw previews for it during Raising Hope, and recorded it.
    Turned out to be fairly entertaining. Found myself chuckling a few times.
    Definitely going to keep watching.

4. Feb 9, 2011 #4 of 33
    ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I really wanted to love it but ended up just liking it OK.

Really didn't care for the wife or girlfriend. Not that their acting was poor, just the characters.

5. Feb 9, 2011 #5 of 33
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK

Advertisements

To be honest, the height difference between one of the couples kind of freaks me out a little.

6. Feb 9, 2011 #6 of 33
    Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    I read a review that said the pilot was horrible, but they had screeners for several more episodes and it gets really good. I skipped the pilot but I'll start watching it next week.

7. Feb 9, 2011 #7 of 33
    SorenTodd

SorenTodd New Member

May 26, 2009
    I liked it in a "train wreck" sort of way. For some reason the guys reminded me of the characters on Shameless. Not sure why.

But the ratings were crap, so I don't expect the show to stick around long.

8. kmcorbett

kmcorbett Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Newton MA
    This. Also, that couple provided the requisite dose of normalcy and "I think we all learned something today" that warns of bad / mainstream TV ahead.

And yet, it made me to chuckle.

9. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I like this show but not sure why...the ending was good but the vibe of the episode was very scattered. Did they rework the pilot or something? Will give it a few more episodes and see if it gets legs.

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I wasn't aware of it until I saw this thread. I checked the tv critic I admire the most, Tim Goodman, and he has a rave review. That's good enough for me.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/sns-rt-review-us-televisiontre71607z-20110207,0,137893.story

"Light" sometimes feels like a mash-up of "How I Met Your Mother" and "The League," with doses of "Men of a Certain Age" -- comparisons that should be celebrated. It isn't just a generic romantic comedy. That it has been able to play in that genre and be funny and believable enough to transcend it is quite the accomplishment.

11. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    I've walked my dogs like that too!

I liked it much more than I thought I would. For now, Season Pass set.

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    He hit the nail on the head!! My son and I both thought it reminded us of a toned down The League, without the fantasy football. I thought there was very good chemistry between the main characters, especially the men. Some things were pretty predictable. The one friend dressing as the clown wrestler we saw coming, and the same cop from the beginning was there at the end. But we laughed a lot with this show, and I set an SP for it.

It's funny, lately shows I'm on the fence about recording and end up doing it anyway turn out to be the best shows. In the past two years, The Middle, Raising Hope and now this one come to mind.

13. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I thought this was great. I had to crouch down and bite my tongue when the husband and wife had their dialog as I was sitting next to my wife who also happens to be Asian and we've had similar discussions. She just doesn't understand hanging with the guys as a valid form of "me" time.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    THAT'S who she is. Hmm, I thought I looked her up on imdb, but must have missed seeing that.. I knew she was familiar, but didn't recognize any of the other things I had seen listed.

I've only watched a few minutes of this one so far.. but it's funny that I admittedly didn't realize there were *two* shows with almost the same premise until someone mentioned it in the same thread.. Now there are THREE shows with the same premise..

"Better With You"
    "Traffic Light"
    and to a slightly lesser degree (just because they're closer in age) "Perfect Couples" all seem to have -- several (three?) couples, in different stages of relationship -- new, several years old, a very long time.

15. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I thought it was just OK. I've got too many other shows to watch so this one won't rate a new SP.

16. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    This...

17. Gromit

Gromit Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 1999
    Atlanta, GA
    I thought it was just OK, but we'll give it least one more chance.

We were about 28 minutes into it when I finally realized that was Pam's fiance from The Office.

18. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
  19. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I watched it, and it was not terribly funny, but it was interesting. I like the overall premise and background.. so for me it has some potential. It certainly was not trying too hard to be funny.. Which I actually take as a good sign.

The one part that did get me though is the warning friends when the wife is around for speaker phone. This is actually something my friends do a lot. One time someone was not warned and it was a major problem lol. That really hit close to home for me.

20. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I love this show!! Almost every episode I nod my head and laugh! Glad I stayed with it.