Trading referrals

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVoBill, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Dec 8, 2004 #1 of 56
    TiVoBill

TiVoBill New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Just a reminder that trading TiVo Rewards referrals is a violation of the Terms and Conditions for the TiVo Rewards program. The program is designed for you to get credit for you referring somebody you already know. :)

2. Dec 8, 2004 #2 of 56
    LiveBlues

LiveBlues Master Blaster

Oct 30, 2001
    Clinton, UT
    With your last sentence in mind Bill, can you refer yourself? I know myself. I bought a new TiVo (2 actually) and subscribed them. I should be able to refer myself. I looked at your website pretty thoroughly, and I did not find where it says that you can't. But I still haven't seen the love for the one I tried.

3. Dec 8, 2004 #3 of 56
    TiVoBill

TiVoBill New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    I'm afraid not (at least currently) -- which is why we refer to it as "Refer a friend". The idea of the TiVo Rewards program is to reward you for bringing new people into the fold, though of course we do appreciate you buying more TiVo boxes yourself (and reward you with lower pricing via Multi-Service Discount)

4. Dec 9, 2004 #4 of 56
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Ok. Thanks for clarifying. It seemed like it suddenly became a taboo topic on here but I never found the thread stating it was verboten.

5. Dec 9, 2004 #5 of 56
    john123

john123 New Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Washington,US
    Yeah, when I signed up for my second TiVo, the referral trade stuff seemed a bit dodgy, so instead I tried putting myself down as the referer on the off chance they accepted that - no go :)

I've since managed to hook in a friend (only took about two years worth of convincing!), so finally got the points for a spare remote :)

Realistically, they should just have made the referral bonus for new customers - seems a bit of an oversight that they let you get a referral for an existing customer.

6. LiveBlues

LiveBlues Master Blaster

Oct 30, 2001
    Clinton, UT
    Once again, I will point out that if it says in the rules that you can't refer yourself, I can't find it.

7. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    He said you can't refer yourself, get over it.

8. LiveBlues

LiveBlues Master Blaster

Oct 30, 2001
    Clinton, UT
    I think that might be the best advice I have had in a long time. Thank you.

9. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    You're welcome.

10. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    So is the definition of this that if you already have a TiVo, and you want to buy a second, nobody else can get the referral points for that? I would literally interpret trading referrals as being: A refers B and B refers A. Or possibly even A refers B, B refers C, C refers D, D refers A.

But how about:
    A buys TiVo 3 years ago - before referral program
    B buys TiVo 3 years ago - before referral program
    A persuades B to buy second TiVo right now.

A doesn't get referral points? It's not a recursive relationship as described above, but then again, B is not a newcomer to the fold, either.

11. Kaokulk

Kaokulk New Member

Feb 5, 2002
    Indiana,...
    Every TiVo box purchased is a chance for referral. I just activated a box (my THIRD stand-alone), and it asked me for a referral address.

If I have a TiVo, and someone convinces me to buy a Humax burner, isn't that still a referral? So that counts.

It's just that most of us don't need much to convince us to buy a 2nd, 3rd, 4th TiVo.

12. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Okay that sounds reasonable. So A and B already own TiVos. B convinces A to buy a second one, so B gets points. What if a year later, A convinces B to buy one? It sounds like the spirit of this plan is that A should get points. But this is "trading referals", and apparently against the rules.

I guess the idea is that two people both in market to buy a TiVo at the same time should not link up and trade their IDs to get referral points.

13. Kaokulk

Kaokulk New Member

Feb 5, 2002
    Indiana,...
    When they refer to "trade referrals", they are talking about posts where person A buys a TiVo on their own, and wants points for it.

A advertises that they have a new TiVo, and person B (whom A has never met) PMs A and tells him, "Hey, I just bought one too. Let's trade."

That's against the rules.

14. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Another reminder;
    Strictly speaking, according to the TiVo Rewards FAQs, "TiVo Rewards is a customer loyalty program that rewards you with TiVo Points for referring your friends and family to TiVo
    https://www3.tivo.com/tivo-com/rewards/faq.do#1

Also, strictly speaking, as far as I can see, the TiVo Rewards Terms and Conditions do not define a friend as an old friend, "somebody you already know" - after all, chatting about referrals is a good way to make a new friend >
    http://www.tivo.com/4.3.18.tsandcs.popup.asp

Of course, not only is there the catch-all rule that TiVo can change the rules, there is the specific one "The sale, solicitation, trade or other trafficking in TiVo Rewards points or referrals is strictly prohibited." - but that would apply just as much to trading between the oldest of friends and family members.

15. ilovedvrs

ilovedvrs Member

Oct 20, 2004
    haha, tivo is greedy

16. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    So, from now on, everyone who wants to complain that the product doesn't exist, or is vaporware, must now refer to it as TiVoToGo®

Is TiVoToComeMaybe trademarked yet? If not, I have dibs on it. I also want to trademark common phrases such as "Movie Review". I can't believe I didn't think to trademark "Season Pass" as it's a whole new concept. BLAH!

17. MerlinMacuser

MerlinMacuser New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Ann Arbor,...
    BiteMe® :+)

I sent the Tivo® written email text to everyone I know along with a personal endorsement then sat back to wait for the points to pile up...either my friends are too cheap to buy a TiVo®, they already had one, or they had a referral from someone else. I have no points and now I may have no friends because they thought my message was Spam®.

18. Rawson819

Rawson819 Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Algonquin, IL
    If TiVo is concerned about the trading of referrals, then I would really think they'd freak about the purchase of referrals.....yet these guys on eBay are just going to town!?!?

GET UPTO $60 for USING MY E-MAIL IN TIVO(TM) REFERRAL

$28.50 TIVO Rewards Referral - I PAY YOU!

Make $31 Tivo Referral! Let me refer you Series 1 & 2

$28.50 TIVO Rewards Referral - I PAY YOU!

Seems if TiVo was that concerned about the abuse of the referral program they'd shut these guys down....and it wouldn't exactly be difficult, their referral mail addresses are listed right in the auction text!

19. terminus303

terminus303 New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Ebay probably won't enforce Tivo's rules. But it should be easy enough for Tivo to read the auctions and disallow any referals to that email address.

>>For referring me by entering my e-mail address (buddhawood@aol.com) I will paypal you $28.50 after I receive the confirming e-mail from Tivo stating that you entered my e-mail address in step 2 of your activating process. (See picture below) If you activate via phone make sure you tell them my e-mail address (buddhawood@aol.com) as the person who refereed you.<

20. hipster

hipster New Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Omaha NE
    I actually asked a salesman at Best Buy to hand out some pre-printed cards with my tivo email. They were all set to let me do it when a "manager" put the kebosh on my little plan. RATS!!!