Trading in Sony SAT-T60 for HR20?...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by dbassman, Jul 27, 2007.

1. dbassman

dbassman New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    I currently have a Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo that I've had for years and absolutely love it! I'm planning on going to HiDef though and have a few questions....

From everything I've read, if I want all the HiDef channels, my only choice is the HR20 DirecTV DVR. From all the reading I've done on DBSTalk.com and TiVoCommunity.com, the HR20s had a lot of problems in the beginning, but now are fairly stable. Is this a correct statement?

Is TiVo going to come out with a unit that will get all the new HiDef channels that DirecTV will have or are we just stuck with the DirecTV DVR? If TiVo is coming out with one, is there an ETA on it?

Can another hard drive be added to the HR20 in order to increase the recording time more than 30 hours in HiDef?

If I end up with one of the HR20 "lemons", how well is DirecTV at replacing them?

Is it true DirecTV locks you into a 2 yr. commitment w/ the HR20?

I've had a hard time finding what have outputs on the back of the HR20, can someone help me out with this and if possible provide a picture of the back of the unit?

Thanks in advance!

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    I would suggest asking these questions on DBSTalk and you'll get several people answering in minutes. They don't want talk about the HR20 around here.

3. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    Plenty of people will talk about the HR20 around here. It seems that you and some others don't like what they have to say.

But to the OP, you will get much better advice on the care and feeding of the HR20 over on DBSTalk.

I've been wondering: How much time do HR20 fans spend posting on TiVo Community vs. how much time TiVo fans spend posting on DBSTalk? Does anyone else have the impression that there are some folks that seem to be 'greasing' transitions from DirecTiVo's to DirectTV DVR's within the DirecTiVo forums here?

At well over 2.5 million DirecTivo subscribers, I could see DirecTV spending marketing resources in this manner.

4. Bugkillah

Bugkillah New Member

Nov 18, 2005
    No, I think it's more of the fact that the second sticky at the top of the freakin' page says, "No directv new dvr talk here". It's pretty simple. Hr20 is not a tivo, and this is a tivo enthusiast forum.

5. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    No, it's that HR20 talk has been asked to be done offsite but few newbies know this. I could have easily answered all the questions the OP asked but the mods have asked that discussion take place elsewhere. Thus I try to nudge people over to DBSTalk where the HR20 is discussed. Nothing more.

But just watch...odds are that instead of letting this thread die on the vine the flames will begin and we'll have another 5 page thread for nothing. ;)

By the way, the only time I have a problem with what others have to say is if it is FUD.

6. dbassman

dbassman New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a problem or post something here I shouldn't of... Thanks for directing me to DBStalk, I'll post my questions there...

Perhaps one of my questions can be answered here though:

Is TiVo going to come out with a unit that will get all the new HiDef channels that DirecTV will have or are we just stuck with the DirecTV DVR? If TiVo is coming out with one, is there an ETA on it?

Thanks!

P.S. This post can & should be deleted if it doesn't belong here!

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    No, Tivo is not coming out with such a receiver. If you want the new HD channels you need an H20 or HR20 and a 5 LNB dish.

8. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    What Scott should have said is that there have been no announcements of Tivo coming out with a new meg4 HD product. There is a lot of hope that Tivo will be able to have something that we Tivo lovers can upgrade to. A few months ago the chairman of Tivo indicated publicly that the new owners liked Tivo and so hopes were renewed for a follow-on satellite mpeg4 HD product.

So, for right now, you're stuck with the HR20.