Trading a Series 3 for a Premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Jan 31, 2014.

Should I consider other options for selling my S3?

1. Just take the money and be done with it

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Consider a straight up trade for the Premiere (if its lifetimed) & repair it with my 1.5TB drive

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. If Premiere is lifetimed, consider a trade for a reduced price on my lifetimed Series 3

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I am trying to sell a fully working lifetime Series 3 (TCD648250B) on Craigslist for about $160. I have someone interested. They said they have a Premiere with a dead hard drive. Right now, I am thinking I should just take the money (& probably will), but I then later thought maybe I would look into other options.

Mainly, seeing if they wanted to possibly make a trade of some kind. That is if the Premiere they have has lifetime or not. I have a spare 1.5TB hard drive at home that is fully working and was thinking I could possibly throw it in this Premiere. I would maybe even consider trading for the non-working Premiere (if its lifetimed) for a discounted price on this lifetime Series 3.

I have upgraded or repaired Series 3s on my own with WinMFS, but haven't done it on a Premiere yet. Is it possible? If so, how hard/easy is it?

Again, just looking at all my options

2. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    If you have had a non-Premiere TiVo, you will be very disappointed with the Premiere. I suggest we all try to forget the Premiere was ever manufactured.

Putting the $160 on a Roamio would be a much wiser choice.

3. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I actually have some lifetime 2-tuner Premieres (as well as this Series 3) and I don't think its THAT bad. Hence the reason I am looking at other options.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The only time I would say a Series 3 is "better" than a Premiere is if you are using them for OTA and are in an area that has the multi-path reception issues that the Premiere is noted for not being able to handle (that the series 3 units and the Roamio can hand better). Other than that the Premiere pretty much either out performs (if in the SDUI) or has more functionality (if in the HDUI) the Series 3 units. If a person can afford it I recommend going with a Roamio as you get both performance and functionality.

5. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I gave up on the HDUI on my Premiere and was happy that the DVR worked as it should with the SDUI. I think this is one option. I swapped out the hard drive on my Premiere which was a piece of cake. I think you should consider a new Roamio instead.

6. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I actually have a TiVo Mini on the way (that will connect to a 4-tuner premiere) that I ordered with the AP discount. This is probably a compromise for now, but I may eventually get a Roamio as well.

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    That changes things. Once you have moved to 4+ tuner units & Minis then you really want all Premiere or Roamio units. As long as you have a 4+ tuner unit you will be able to use your Mini with a 2 tuner Premiere (streaming). With Series 3 units no way to use them with Minis or to stream anything if you cable company locks down your content. Also the Premiere units will do MPEG 4 cable channels, if your cable company moves any channels too it and the Series 3 units will not.

8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    WinMFS will not work to upgrade a Premiere, you would have to use JMFS and/or DVRBars.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

You're offering that S3 at a very good price.

Especially if the power supply has already been re-capped.

(can't remember if you've been through that or not)

What they're really saying is they have a Premiere and they think it's dead and they think the hard drive is the problem.

If they knew enough about TiVos to be sure, they'd probably have fixed it themselves.

The only way I'd consider that deal myself is if I already had a spare 320GB or larger drive with a good Premiere image loaded on it and they'd allow me to stick it in their TiVo and go through the resetting the TiVo Service Number to the one on the motherboard routine and then run it through Guided Setup, and then test all of the features, including all the possible video modes and such, and I'd stick a voltmeter on the power supply for good measure.