Tough As Nails - Season 1

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TIVOSciolist, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Aug 4, 2020 #1 of 13
    TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...

Advertisements

I wasn't sure that I was in the mood to commit to a new series so I kept my TiVo recordings unwatched for a few weeks. After having caught up now, I can say that I am enjoying this new Phil Keoghan series. My favorite part is that, in this competition, no one goes home. Rather, they remain and help the team so we get to know everyone better.

It's a bit cheesy because all of the contestants are enthusiastic, hard working, and optimistic people whose attitudes represent idealized versions of the everyday working man/woman. However, I don't mind having a bit of that these days. Everything so far has been filmed in the Los Angeles area at existing industrial sites so production costs are substantially lower than, say, for The Amazing Race. Phil gives us his usual clean family entertainment.

One amusing part is that Phil pulls out a stack of $12,000 "cash" each week from his pocket and hands it to the winning team. In one episode, it was pretty clear that the bundle of cash consisted of a bill on the top and the bottom and blank paper in-between.

(I remember reading that in Cash Cab, the contestants do not actually get to walk off with the cash after we see them leaving the taxi. Rather, the cash is taken back and a check is mailed to them later.)

2. Aug 5, 2020 #2 of 13
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    That's because the money has to be withheld for taxes - the government must take their cut first. So none of those shows really hands out the money right then and there - it's just a prop. The real winnings minus the government cut are paid out later off camera. You can see that in the credits where they say the payouts are dependent on contestant eligibility and all that. The Price is Right, for example, often have winning contestants forfeit the prize they won on camera because they cannot pay the taxes owing. And no, they don't walk away with a cash equivalent.

To ensure this, most cash you see on screen is actually specially made fake money used for props - even if they are taken home, they're worthless.

Some other countries don't tax winnings, and thus the contestants can keep the cash, but almost always the money on screen is just for show and they're still awarded off screen - usually a check is written out to avoid having to carry big bundles of cash to the bank.

And yes, I'm enjoying the show. For me there's not much on TV anyways. This show's bending of the rules is pretty neat since even when the contestants are out, they still can win money through team challenges so there's still incentive to work even if you lost.

3. Aug 5, 2020 #3 of 13
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I'm quite enjoying this show! Yes, it's a tad heavy handed on the idealistic blue collar worker, but hey, there's lots of folks who ARE that very thing. And the team challenge aspect once voted out is fantastic. Listen up, Survivor, THIS is how you keep eliminated contestants relevant.

Phil Keoghan has been showing up on the weekly RHAP podcast to discuss details, and it's pretty fascinating. Timing wise, he said the following in the spoiler about when things are filmed. AND he did mention they were casing Season 2, so sounds like a renewal has already happened or is looking likely.

Phil said the team challenge is filmed early in the morning on Day 1. Then the afternoon films the confessionals, and other editing type shots. Day 2 films the individual challenge in the morning, then lunch break, then right to the overtime challenge. If there's time final extra type filming at the end of the day. So these contestants aren't getting much of a physical rest between tasks

TIVOSciolist likes this.
  4. Aug 5, 2020 #4 of 13
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Typically the contestant doesn't receive the money until the episode has aired, which can be months or even years later. Just like with Survivor, a season may film in the spring or early summer, but not air until the following spring, meaning none of the participants get their money until May of the following year when the season finishes airing.

5. Sep 3, 2020 #5 of 13
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

Darn, I wish
    the short guy
    would have won.

Also, I thought it was really funny that a guy almost ran into the boom. (do you still call it a boom if a camera is on it and not a mike?). I went back and wasn't sure if it was just a viewing angle thing or not, but I think he did come within a few feet of hitting it.

6. Sep 4, 2020 #6 of 13
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    No, it's called a crane. Boom microphones are typically hand held by a holding it up in the air.

A crane carries the camera at one end, the base in the middle and counterweight on the other end. Broadcast cameras are heavy and you can't use a boom unless you have hulk-like upper body strength. Cranes can be manual, power assisted or computer controlled (motion control).

I'm guessing that crane was computer controlled - it lets them program those sweeping shots and re-take it multiple times until they get it right. But it also means they're big and heavy and don't move very well or quickly.

It was a tight ending, until it wasn't, so that was somewhat disappointing. And yes, I wanted Danny to win too. Though they should show more of him using stilts - always fascinated me.

I hope they have another season. I'm tired of reality shows where it's just people snipping at each other

7. Sep 4, 2020 #7 of 13
    DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Already been renewed for Season 2.

I liked the ending. Either of those two winning was going to be fine by me. This was a fun show and I'm looking forward to the next season.

tivotvaddict and TIVOSciolist like this.
  8. Sep 4, 2020 #8 of 13
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Funny...I saw the commercials and never watched a single episode, but when I heard that the finale was on this week, I decided to record it (hoping that they would recap the season)...

They didn't really do any great recap, but the show was easy to follow anyway...

I really liked Linda Goodridge (the former sheriff jailer and current roofing contractor)... She was pretty d*mn competitive for someone so small going against those big guys... I was absolutely rooting for her... Not sure what sort of person she was during the season though...

I liked the guy who won too... I loved that he hurt his hand, and that he powered through the last comps, with his hand bleeding and all... What a way to suck it up and do the work...

I guess I will have to wait for another CBSAA trial to watch some of the earlier episodes... :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    tivotvaddict and justen_m like this.
  9. Sep 5, 2020 #9 of 13
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yes, that's why I enjoyed it. It was a reality series less about people fighting against each other, scheming and preening, and more about friendly competition. It brought a breath of positivity at a time when the world feels bleak.

It also features people who are more laypeople - everyday people doing everyday jobs. It was actually hard to find someone to root for since they all had a reason you wanted them to win.

DancnDude likes this.
  10. type_g

type_g Active Member

Sep 9, 2002
    What I loved most is once they where eliminated from the grand prize, they still were involved in competitions. That I felt was something unique to this reality show compared to others. They go head to head but afterwards they are congratulating the winner without any ill will.

Also after seeing the final challenge, I do not see half the contestants being able to finish the final course at the pace the winner did.

tivotvaddict likes this.
  11. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Solid ending to a show with a unique point of view. Glad it's coming back.

I gotta hand it to Murph, beating out guys over a decade younger than he is! His coping with some solid mental health challenges (fear of heights/ptsd) along the way is pretty inspiring.

While I get that Danny the Drywaller faces some challenges being a little on the short side, I didn't care for the characterization that a guy being 5' 6" is any more of a challenge than a woman being 5'4" would be. I hope to see more women like Linda the former sheriff in Season 2, super physcial and going through some emotional growth.

My favorite scene of the finale may have been Firefighter Young's conversation of how each of them is facing real life challenges that really define being tough as nails.

Donbadabon likes this.
  12. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah, like I said, it's a reality show that's less about alliances and backstabbing and metagame strategy and instead is just some honest challenges and everyone playing cleanly.

TIVOSciolist and Donbadabon like this.
  13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    There was a camera operator right near the crane.. I guess it could STILL be computer controlled.. Though I _thought_ he was sweeping it out of the way as the contestant came by.. it was a very quick cut though.