Total Choice Limited $38.xx month...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by roamerr, Mar 29, 2006.

1. roamerr

roamerr New Member

Feb 11, 2003
    NC

Advertisements

I have searched and not found any info on previous posts. DirecTV now has a reduced Total Choice that is called Total Choice Limited (TCL) -- I am unsure of exact price but believe it is $33.99 a month (not sure since it shows $33.29 on my bill but that is a month that is a few days into). TCL basically includes locals but cuts 60 channels -- many music and some good ones such as Spike, Discovery, MTV2, MSNBC, Noggin, Mix Channels (News, Kids, Sports) and others. I switched to it since the only channel I lost that I sometimes watched is Spike for "Pros vs Joes".

Anyway -- thought I would spread the news.

I found out by calling to see what options were available to reduce my $78 a month bill for Total Choice, 3 DirecTivos, and HBO. They basically switched me to TCLimited (saves $8 or so a month), Gave me $10 off a month on HBO for 6 months, and gave me $5 a month off for a year. This saves $216 a year with no contract -- not bad for a 10 minute call.....

Note that I was told that DirecTV does not promote the Total Choice Limited but it is available.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I still think that if DirecTV wants to get more subscribers, that they need to promote this level of programming. Then those subs may increase to higher tiers later. This is even more critical because of their recent rate increases. They may get more subs from those that are sitting on the fence debating cable or sat.

3. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I recently cut off a lot of my programming as well. Went from TC+, HBO & HD package to just Total Choice. Saved about $25/month. Not the biggest savings, but my wife and I agreed that spending $75/month on TV was too much. Nearly 70% of what we watch is on network TV, which I record of our OTA HD antenna (we have a HR10-250).

The remaining 30% is on a handful of other channels (VH1, FX, SciFi, HGTV, E!)

We're probably good candidates for a-la-carte, should it ever become a reality.

4. darthrsg

darthrsg New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    post 911...
  5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

Still includes a whole bunch of shopping channels. :( I counted 8.

And, no SciFi channel.

But, it's a start. :rolleyes:

6. LostCluster

LostCluster Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Shopping channels if they had their way would show up even on unsubscribed recievers... the signal is free, it's selling stuff 24/7 at marked up prices. Afterall, they buy out local stations to get must carry status.

7. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    Of COURSE it includes the shopping channels. Unlike other business models, the shopping channels pay D* to be there and to be promoted, which is why they always appear no matter how many times you delete them!!

:rolleyes:

8. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I'm with you there. I understand why DirecTV must carry them and offer them in every package, but why-oh-why can't they just let me filter those on my receiver.

I know, I can use a very limited "favorite channels" list and they won't show up, but I really wish I could adjust "channels I receive" to just be the channels I actually subscribe to minus the shopping channels.

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I also agree with this. I just wanted to point out that the shopping channels are still there and always will be. :) or should that be :(

10. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Yep! I agree! Dish has been doing this for years. Advertising their budget package. Now if they only offered PPC (something i would like to see Pay Per Channel) I basicly watch about 10 of the 800 perhaps 20 when I am getting Freebies :p :up:

11. randym431

randym431 New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    Des Moines,...
    No tvland.

12. Martin Tupper

Martin Tupper Pontiff Emeritus

Dec 18, 2003
    No FX.

13. randym431

randym431 New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    Des Moines,...
    I'd like to see the day when you can select, one by one, the channels you want (to pay for). And have an allowance. If you go over, it kicks you into the next price bracket. Then you could bypass all those music channels for allowance towards others you want. And dump the shopping channels altogether.

14. drewmotz

drewmotz New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Actually, since DTV gets paid for the shopping channels, dumping them would negatively affect your allowance, not? So in this scenario, accepting the shopping channels would help your allowance toward other channels you want.

If this ever were the case, I wonder how many people would then like DTV to get MORE shopping channels. Perhaps if we get enough of them, we could then get all the channels we actually watch for free! (That would be the day.)

15. rfburns

rfburns New Member

May 10, 2002
    I just called to ask for Total Choice Limited, and they told me this was "phased out", or some similar language. They offered me "Total Choice Select", at $39.99. Can anyone confirm if I just got lied to, or if they quickly cancelled a good plan so they could make more money?