Toshiba unresponsive - black screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Generalee, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Generalee

Generalee New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Well it is kind of hard searching for problems so I am posting mine up.

I have a Series 2 Toshiba SD430 (something like that). It is running w/o a cable box. Recently, it started acting up (pixelation and DVD stopped loading) until finally it would no longer display picture or sound. The screen stays black but has a slight static blip every now and then.

I bought a replacement drive and installed it. Still no go. The screen says Welcome Powering up (gray screen white letters) , then after 3-4 minutes it goes black - no sound, no video, TiVO central doesn't come on, nothing. It did flash really quick at one point an orange screen with the TiVO logo on it but then went back to black.

If I unplug the TiVO, I can watch TV with the cables routing through the in/out of the TiVO. I had thought that that part might be bad, but I guess this rules that out.

What is the possibility if installing a new bad HD, I think 1%?

So what do you think i9s wrong with my TiVO? Never realized how much I apprecaited this thing until it died on me, now I'm staying up late watching shows, I think I'll have to try to figure out the VCR thingy.

2. Generalee

Generalee New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    I would also like to add the following:
    While the screen is blank (before I replaced the HD) I was able to connect to it via remote desktop and download the programs off the HD. I jumped to conclusions when buying a new HD as if mine were bad I shouldn't have been able to download 6 hours worth of programming.

I have unhooked everything from the TiVo and then hooked it all back up, powered on and off numerous times, hit the TiVO button on the remote, I've done it all. I also hooked up some component cables to video 2 and when before I would recieve cable channels, now it is also the same blank black screen I get from video 1.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have a second TiVo of the same model in the basement, perhaps swapping out a compenet or 2 to isolate the problem further?

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    IMO, something is wrong with the HDD image, or it could have the wrong image installed.

4. Generalee

Generalee New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Well I could try to swap out the HD from the basement unit (which is working now, a bit noisey though) into the upstairs unit and see if the same thing happens. Problem is that it is acting the same before and after the HD swap, making me think it isn't HD related.
    I have a lifetime subscript on this unit and I would like to keep it functioning for this reason.