Toshiba SD-H400 will not boot: bad hard drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by iow, Sep 9, 2007.

1. iow

iow New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    My Toshiba SD-H400 has been crashing a lot lately, and now it won't boot at all. I have power cycled it many times, but when I try to power it up now I get the "Welcome, powering up..." screen for about 30 seconds and then it gets stuck on the "Almost There. Just a Few Minutes More..." screen indefinitely.

Reading through the forums this seems to be a very common problem with the SD-H400, almost always attributed to a bad Maxtor hard drive. I've gotten 3-4 years of life out of this unit, and I'm willing to invest in a new hard drive if that will fix the problem.

I tried following the "kickstart" instructions from another post, but couldn't get the hard drive diagnostics to run.

My questions are:
    1) How can I definitely confirm that the problem is just the hard drive?
    2) If I do have a hard drive problem, is there any way to fix it, or should I just replace it?

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    It sounds like your hard drive was failing for a while. If you see pixelating and if the TiVo locks up frequently, this is an indication of a failing hard drive.

To answer your questions.

1) Put in a new drive the a fresh copy of the TiVo OS and see if the TiVo boots.
    2) Yes, there is entire forum here that has a wealth of info, it's called the Upgrade forum. Check out www.mfslive.org for the latest tools for updating 'working' TiVos or check out www.dvrupgrade.com for a copy of Instant Cake. Instant Cake is used to put a fresh copy of the TiVo OS onto a blank hard drive.

Good luck,
    robomeister

3. iow

iow New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    It appears that the hard drive was the problem. I replaced the original 80 GB maxtor drive with a new 300 GB seagate replacement kit from weaknees, and my Tivo is working again. This may or may not be related, but while I was editing the channel listing the Tivo did throw error 86 a couple of times, and another time it gut stuck and required a reboot. Since the reboot it has been working fine.