Toshiba SD-H400 Video Issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by svoll, Feb 3, 2012.

1. svoll

svoll New Member

Sep 17, 2006

Advertisements

I am experiencing a strange issue with my Toshiba SD-H400 (DVR & DVD player).

I upgraded the HDD about two years ago with no issues. This is my kid's TiVo and the current setup is that I have it connected to my TV via component cables & the sound going to the receiver via optical audio. It is also connected to a TV in our toy room via coaxial. This has been our setup for about 3 years and we have not moved anything behind the TV to knock something loose.

About 3 weeks ago, the picture would go black for about 1/2 a second every minute or so. The sound does not cut out. It has gotten progressively worse and is now a black screen almost all the time. The audio still works. This is true weather watching live tv, a recorded program or on the TiVo menu. This issue is not affecting the DVD player. Everything is working fine with it. The outputs are the same for both the TiVo & the DVD player, so the cabling & the outputs on the TiVo and the inputs on the TV are fine. I copied a show over to my Premiere XL & it plays fine, so the show is recorded intact and the HDD is fine. The only thing I can think of is the video processor.

Any suggestions?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So you have it connected to one TV that's tuned to analog (NTSC) channel 3 or 4 via co-ax, and to a different TV via the red, green, blue cables?

And when the picture goes out, it's the same on both TVs, and neither loses sound?

(you might get lucky and just have to replace a capacitor or 2 in the power supply, but no guarantees just yet).

3. wiz

wiz Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    I know this is an older post, but I'm seeing simular behavior except instead of a black screen I just have purple lines all over the screen. If I select progressive output the screen goes black and stays that way. I'm going to take a look at the capacitors in the power supply this weekend.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Have you tried all of the possible video outputs, including RF on channel 3 or 4?

5. wiz

wiz Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seacoast NH

Advertisements

Yes and it does the almost the same thing. With RF out the video just flickers and then comes back. DVD looks fine on both outputs. I suspect there is a different video generator for DVD.

6. dz2k

dz2k New Member

Aug 8, 2012
    i have a similar issue with screen goes black for a second and comes back. there was no loss of sound. to fix it, i have coax from wall to cable box in, composite cable from cable box out to tivo composite in, and coax out from tivo to tv.