Toshiba SD-H400--hard drive failure? Options

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dcgent, Jan 6, 2006.

1. dcgent

dcgent New Member

May 11, 2004

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure my Toshiba's hard drive is fried--video is stuttering, Tivo freezes in between menu screens, etc. I also peridiocally hear a click/clunk noise in addition to the normal hard drive whir.

I have a normal Series 2 40 hour Tivo wth lifetime so I've just been paying the extra $7/month for the Toshiba.

The Toshiba is off warranty so what are my options?--Any suggestions? We haven't used the DVD player much so I'm temped to just get a new Tivo box since other options seem like they might cost more.

1) Will Tivo (or Toshiba?) repair or replace with a refurb? What would that cost?

2) Can I simply send it to WeakNees for a new drive?

--john

2. simonalope

simonalope New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    People's...
    Weaknees has said it can provide replacement hard drives for the SD-H400 (80 hours or more). You wouldn't need to send them anything unless you want to keep your recordings, they'll just send you the new drive and instructions for installation. Alternately, you can try to find an image online and prepare your own drive - last I checked, there was no InstantCake for the SD-H400, but I'm sure there are images out there.
    Of course, if you don't have Lifetime on the unit and don't care about the DVD player, you could just go ahead and get a new unit.

3. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    If you are not comfortable replacing the hard drive yourself, then sell it off on eBay as is. I would think you can get $75-$100 for it and with the money buy a series two.