Toshiba RS-TX120 hard drive and DVD Tivo Series 2

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by John7777, Dec 19, 2017.

1. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017

Advertisements

I got a good deal on one of these machines, with hopes of being able to use it, but unsure how many (if any) of the TIVO functions will be available on this old machine. I did a complete reset and it is doing downloads now. Am I setting myself up for disappointment? Thanks to anyone who is still using one of these and knows what they are capable of and thanks to anyone who has information that might help me get some use out of this.
    I already have a TIVO account if that helps but not counting on that too much. Worse case scenario, I pull the DVD drive to use in another Toshiba hard drive I have (non-tivo) because the DVD stopped working years ago.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Does it have lifetime? If not then functionality will be limited. They do have free "TiVo Basic" service, but that's essentially just 3 days of guide data with the ability to set time based recordings. It has something kind of like a Season Pass, but it's time/channel based so if the show moves the pass wont update.

3. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Hi Dan, it's not lifetime, but offers a 45 day trial of Tivo Plus, which may or may not even apply anymore. I would be happy to just have basic three day guide, and I would love to try and let it do the updates through my wifi but for some reason, it makes you do the guided set up through a phone line before you can hook it up to your home network, and it looks like it's giving me progress through the phone line but than will stop and give me some error message about data during hang up or upload. I'm close to getting my screwdriver out and pulling the DVD drive for a transplant into my old toshiba since any hopes I have for this thing are dying fast.

Oh, I completely forgot that this thing is not going to have digital channel capability. So the guide is kind of pointless anyway. All I would like to do is be able to hook it up to a converter box, but even that may be impossible.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I would be surprised if TiVo would enable anything to work on this for a new account since it does not have lifetime.

5. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

Since it does not have full lifetime not sure what you will be able to use. Did they let you transfer it into your account? I have one with full lifetime, it works ok with external box, OTA or cable (probably satellite too). Swapping DVD drives is possible, at least with the same model, I did it once. Not sure about another machine, even if it is Toshiba. A nicer one is the Pioneer S2 that has a DVD writer. I still have mine, works well, including the DVD drive. If you ever search for one of those I'd look for the full lifetime for sure, and get it from someone who can authorize the transfer, S2/S3 with lifetime they can balk if original owner does not authorize the transfer. Also have to be careful, someone may have used it for a promo and Tivo did not deactivate it yet.

6. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    It never had lifetime, but back then they provided what was known as "basic service". Now it will not activate since it is basically obsolete as far as TIVO is concerned. I had read some fairly recent reviews on amazon from some folks who bought this thing online and were able to use it with a converter, but if there was ever a chance for me to do that, I killed it by resetting the thing. I guess I got a 120 gig hard drive out of it and a DVD recorder that I found out will be compatible with my older toshiba that is in need of a DVD, so not a total loss since I would have paid more for a compatible DVD unit than I paid for the TX120. But hopefully this thread will help someone else out who may be considering buying one of these and know that there are risks involved. Thanks everyone for the info.!

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    A USB network adapter should still work for guided setup.

8. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Hi Dan, I hoped that would be the case, but sadly no. If I was ever able to get through the guided set up with the phone line, then, and only then, would it let me use my home network for updates and new guide with a wifi usb adaptor. This machine came with the original manual and it confirmed it for me.

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Many newer phone lines aren't compatible with a modem. You could try a friend or relatives phone line.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Which wifi adapter are you using? IIRC TiVo only ever supported the TiVo branded 802.11b adapter on the Sieres 2 units. And even then you may need updated software to support that which may not be available out of the box. However you can use a USB ethernet adapter if you go to the dial configuration setting and set it to ,#401

11. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    I'd give it a try with another line, but I would be hard pressed to find someone who has the old style phone line.

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
  13. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Thanks Dan, I've got the AGO100 and that is on the list for the series 2 single tuner which I assume falls into the category of the toshiba series 2.
    I'll have to give it a try tomorrow. Thanks again! Appreciate you checking that out.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah the Toshiba is the same S2 hardware as the 540 series S2 units internally.

15. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    phoneoptions.jpg Not sure how to enter the phone info. for it to use the wifi. It still seems to want to use the phone line, so I tried that again and it connects and hangs up for the test but then data fails. Took some pics.

16. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    phonetest.jpg

17. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    I think the phone code only works with a USB ethernet adapter.

18. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Maybe, but I tried it with this unit and didn't have any success. I entered it wherever there was a place, and tried every variation of the settings but it always kept reverting to the phone line. I finally gave up but will still welcome any info. anyone wants to add to this thread in the future. Thanks very much and Merry Christmas!

19. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Buy a Tivo brand USB wireless G adaptor on Ebay. You can easily find one for around $10. The series 2 so slow and takes so much time to set up, it's not worth trying to get dialup to work or to use a non tivo brand adaptor. You will either need broadband internet to connect wirelessly or you can connect to a mobile device set up as a hot spot. The Tivo will only use a few MB of data. Guided setup will need to be run initially, but won't complete successfully with pre Rovi software. As soon as the first connection completes successfuly in guided setup, pull the plug and reinsert to reboot the tivo. If you see the "installing software update screen" then you sucessfully downloaded the Rovi software and can complete guided set up once the software update completes. Otherwise; you will have to repeat the procedure until the tivo downloads the Rovi software update.

20. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Where are you located? I have an RX20 sitting under my desk at work with Lifetime. I offered it to a coworker and now just acts as a foot rest for me.

I have a Linksys USB adapter that I used as well, and this box is already configured for the ,#401 prefix that used to be required to get networking to work.

aaronwt likes this.