Toshiba DVR/Tivo and an RCA RCU807 Universal Remote!

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by FortWorthPeg, Jan 17, 2006.

1. FortWorthPeg

FortWorthPeg New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Fort Worth
    Hi All! I am very new to TiVo and the community! I am so glad you are all here, because I am less than expert at all of this!

I purchased my unit, Toshiba RS-TX20 at Best Buy. It was a display unit, no box, no nothing. The only thing it had was a power cord. NO REMOTE either! I am fairly proud to say that I have the thing working to some extent. I found most of the cables I needed around the apartment. I understand I need an IR cable to help channel changing be more seamless, but otherwise the basics are in place. I plan to find one of those tomorrow.

My basic issue at the moment:
    Having an unprogrammed, brand new universal remote, I was able to at least program it to get my Toshiba TiVo, Hughes Sat receiver and TV to turn off and on. At present, I have the remote programmed for the DVD button to control the DVR, which has been working pretty well. I have no original TiVo remote for the RCA remote to "learn" from, so I am finding there are functions that I am having problems with. :confused:
    I figured out how to play a DVD, but while it was playing, when I pushed the "stop" button on the remote the movie went to slomo. I don't know how to get back to the main DVD menu to choose from options such as features, scenes, play, etc.
    Before I ramble and put whoever is kind enough to read this far to sleep ;) Does anyone know of an existing thread or website that has assistance for my situation? Programming an RCA RCU807 Universal Learning Remote for use with my Toshiba TiVo? I don't know if it's a question to bug you all with or not, but I do know I want to master this TiVo thing so I definitely intend to spend some time getting to know everyone around here! :p :rolleyes: :)
    I had a DVR through my cable company a few years ago and LOVED IT!!!! Moved to an apartment after that time that allowed only DirectTV and since we share dishes, from what I understand it is very tough to hook up TiVo. Now with the Series 2, I am so thrilled to have it now and I so want to know what I am doing!
    Thanks for reading!!!!!
    Kim

2. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    If you want to dvd commands you will need a another remote to learn from, but you don't need the original remote, for about $10 you get the Radio Shack 15-2142. Using setup VCR 0618, you can map these advanced code to unused keys:

Angle-00036
    Stop-00037
    Dvd-00039
    Top Menu-00043
    Menu-00119

To map them to a key on the 2142:

1. press VCR
    2. press and hold P for two blinks
    3. enter 9-9-4
    4. tap P for one blink
    5. enter 5 digit Advanced code
    6. pick a key

Other tivo advanced codes are here, with the 2142, you will need to add two zeroes to the FRONT of each advanced code in that link.

3. FortWorthPeg

FortWorthPeg New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Fort Worth
    You are so awesome to reply... thanks for the help. Know what I did? I went and got the Harmony 659 and I am one happy girl! :eek: :D