Torchwood "Immortal Sins" 8/19/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    ALLRIGHT now that's the TORCHWOOD I love!!!

Took 7 episodes but finally.

At first I was like - seriously?
    - - - we're going back to Ellis Island and 1927 but - - -

Gimme an episode featuring Captain Jack and Gwen and minimal of these new American characters and i'm a happy puppy.

Thank you Jane Espenson.

2. dagojr

dagojr June

Jan 9, 2004
    Is it next week yet? can't believe I just said that.
    First good episode! about time.

3. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I guess sending Jack a note from what's his name telling him to come over and he will explain everything was not possible :rolleyes:

And while Gwen's eyes are being monitored, there are tons of ways of signaling to someone (CIA operatives to boot) that something is amiss.

Maybe it was a fun ride, but it was still totally ridiculous

4. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    If Gwen just faced a wall while she talked to anyone, the people monitoring the contacts would not know what anyone was saying. Unless I missed something (I fast-forwarded through most of Gwen's whining).

I was disappointed that Jack did not flatten Gwen once she let him out of the car. His hands were tied behind his back, but he still could have clobbered her.

5. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Best episode of the season by far, so far.

Loved that The Doctor was directly mentioned, as well as the Trickster's Brigade. And there was an alien! It's finally starting to feel more like the Torchwood/DW universe.

Cool to see Nana Visitor. And next week it looks like (casting spoiler)

John DeLancie
    has a role, as well.

6. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    The pacing was much better, we are finally getting some forward movement on the main story line, and it was good to focus on the actual main characters. But seriously? I hope this whole thing doesn't end up revolving around a jilted lover.

7. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I totally disagree - the best thing of that whole scene was when they said to each other don't forget what I said in the car and had a nano-second hug before goin back to the bad guys.

To me this was a character episode arc dating back to the very first show of the first series - I loved it.

8. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    Or Jack's brother. (I cannot remember if he was alive or not after Jack's previous encounter with him.)

9. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    This episode actually had a feel of Torchwood, but still not sure if this season can repair itself from the first 6/10 episodes.

So how did Jack's companion survive all these years? Trickster's Brigade?

10. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Bad? I would think a bad guy would not stand around politely waiting for his friend to hand him over to die.

11. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I think you can assume he used some of Jack's hints about the future to make a ton of money. But a 100 years living is not out of the realm of possibility, especially if he used Jack's blood or something to prolong his life (hmmm!).

12. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    By Bad Guys - I meant the people who kidnapped Gwen's family in the first place.

13. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    So, Gwen expresses her contempt and low regard for Jack's life to him in the car, and Jack basically responds that he will do anything to preserve his life. Then they get out of the car and Jack politely stands next to Gwen waiting for her to hand him over to (as far as Jack knows) likely torture or death.

How is that a good scene?

14. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    After Jack was being murdered over and over again, when the three guys did their little handshake/pact deal, looking at their arms from above would result in a view of a triangle.
    I grant he could be alive naturally(, but whats the fun in that?) It's been 84 years since 1927, and Jack's lover Angelo appeared to be in his 20's.

I'm not sure if I like my own theory here but
    the 3 bad guys and Angelo (since the theory is he somehow knew some of Jack's secrets) transfused Jack's blood into themselves (with the help of the trickster's brigade?) and now they're immortal, but not in a stay young forever kind of way. All of this Miracle Day nonsense was setup to kill Jack and end their own immortality since they're probably still aging and death eludes them. They believe if they can kill Jack (which would make the trickster's happy) they can finally die themselves.

15. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I noticed that as well. I'm sure it is not a coincidence.

I've been thinking about the triangle. What if it's a reference to the Bermuda Triangle? Isn't Florida one point of the triangle (Bermuda and Puerto Rico being the other two)? And didn't Ponce de Leon supposedly discover Florida while searching for the Fountain of Youth? Fountain of youth = immortality?

16. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    Jack's immortality is a quirk of physics (fixed point in time), not due to anything biological. This is just wild speculation on my part, but by extension, I suppose his blood might remain partially affected even when apart from him. That could (loosely) explain the not-dying-but-no-regeneration effects on anyone who received his blood, but not how everyone on earth got it at once. Maybe it got weaponized. If everyone gets infected, then some event triggers the effects across the world simultaneously, then maybe that would diffuse or alter the effects specifically on Jack, maybe act like a drain on him, rendering him mortal. I guess we'll learn soon enough.

17. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Yes.

I love episodes when Jack dies over and over or when he gets buried or boxed or whatever.

And when he gets to show off his knowledge of past and future history.

Love the conversation between Jack and Gwen. Pure Torchwood. They hate it but love it.

They still write Jack and Gwen well. Starting to write Esther well. Now they need to work on Rex.

Also enjoying the guest stars. Nana!!!!!

And a throw away alien!

Can they reedit the first six shows to about three and start over?

Personally, I don't care what the solution to the riddle is. I just want good storytelling. This finally was good.

To anyone who wants to nitpick things like tactics. Torchwood is a story about people, not details.

18. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    This was the first episode that centered on and featured Jack. About damn time. After all, it's his show.

Thank God that the only Oswald Danes reference was one throw away line. Danes is the worst thing about Torchwood:Miracle Day. The woman who got crushed in the car was a much better villain.

Has there ever been an explanation as to how long Jack remains dead? It seems to vary depending upon the plot's needs. He couldn't have been dead for much longer than a minute when he fell off the roof. Also, he was shot in the head. Where'd the bullet go? And while I'm at it, he should have been ripped to shreds during the torture scene. How fast does his body heal?

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, there was a spray of blood behind him, so I assume it's buried in the wall...

20. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It was interesting that the ignorant townspeople went straight to the "He's the Devil!" side of things. Why not think he's an angel? Just because Jack's supernatural doesn't automatically mean he's eeeevil. These same people probably would have worshipped him if his face kind of looked like some burnt markings on a grilled cheese sandwich.