Torchwood 9/8/07 BBCA SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sieglinde, Sep 10, 2007.

1. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I think this one will have to grow on me. I do like police woman character and the Captain Jack character but the pilot was just too much getting things started. The story improved when the police were identifying the weapon and getting closer to solving the crime.

2. latrobe7

latrobe7 What, me worry?

May 1, 2005
    Orange...
    I liked it, but I'm a Doctor Who fan and I've been waiting awhile for it to come on here. My GF did not like it, though. She had never seen Doctor Who before we started dating, and has only seen the ones from the new season; so I thought this would be a show we could both enjoy from the start.

I was surprised when she said she liked Doctor Who better! She said that Doctor Who knows it's cheesy and plays it tongue-in-cheek, while Torchwood seems to be taking itself too seriously. She hated Captain Jack; said he was too smug.

Oh, well, maybe it will grow on her...

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    FWIW I loved Torchwood (caught the BBC airings) and it got me back into Doctor Who, so that says a lot.

But I have to give a word of warning, the first season is very uneven in quality, fun show, solid concept, but varied quality of execution.

The 1st 2 episodes were outstanding, with the 1st being especially good, LOVED the pizza delivery issues.

4. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought the first Torchwood episode was terrific.

We've got three (soon to be two) charaters who don't die currently on tv. Claire from Heroes, Capt. Jack Harkness and the soon to be gone Painkiller Jane.

5. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I thought you said PKJ couldn't die! How can she be gone?

Oh, and I believe the show New Amsterdam has an immortal character, but I'm not sure if that just means that he doesn't age...

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    What, you think just because they stop making TV shows about her, she ceases to exist?!?

That's just silly!

She'll still be in the comic books.

7. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Did they retain the raunch on the BBCA airing?

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I don't remember the original version that well but considering the BBCA version had a commercial break every three minutes, I doubt it. Owen did kiss a dude.

9. PhillyJimbo

PhillyJimbo New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    North Wales, PA
    I was entertained and will continue with it.

Is it Capt. Jack Harkness or really Captain Scarlet (another one who cannot die)? Both actors are pretty wooden. (Not really, but I wanted to throw in the pun.) Was I alseep during the Doctor Who eps where Captain Jack appeared? He wasn't immortal then, was he?

Liked that the policewoman got injured in the bar fight. Women just can't kick ass like guys and at least she was portrayed realistically and not like some Lara Croft.

Did not like the homo kiss. BLECH!

10. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    the blanked out a cop saying Fu-ck but not someone else saying sh-it

11. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    The bleep machine is going to get a series workout on this show. :D

12. jtown0620

jtown0620 TIMELORD with TiVo

Jun 17, 2004
    Trinity, Fl.
    Capt. Jack references the event in the Doctor Who Series 1 finale "The Parting of the Ways" where after being shot by a dalek Rose raises him from the dead as being the genesis of his immortality.

Good episode I prefer the more whimsical Jack of Doctor Who to the deadly serious one in this weeks episode. But it was a solid start for the show. Loved the opening scene! Bringing that guy back from the dead and the rain stopping and all was just very cool!

13. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I thought it was suppose to start on HDNet this week also?

14. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    It doesn't start until the 13th or 17th or something like that.

15. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    i liked the refs to dr. who the hand the something with a chameleon circuit sitting in this spot causing the blind spot. :D

16. Bulldog7

Bulldog7 New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Fremont, CA
    then theres cancellation. She may not die, but no one seems to care enough to watch the show to keep the show alive. So she doesn't die, but the show did!!!
    Semantics are fun, aren't they? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

17. Bulldog7

Bulldog7 New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Fremont, CA
    start Monday, the 17th.

18. emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I thought it was pretty good. Being an American my husband was annoyed with the gap in the main char front teeth (what was her name? I don't remember) . I hated her hair, which is kind of funny because it is similar to mine but mine looks better ;)

19. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    :confused:

What does being an American have to do with that?

20. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Her name is Gwen.

I like her hair. I tried to get my hair cut like hers when I got it cut earlier this year (during the original airing of these on BBC).