Torchwood 7/29/2011 (S04E04) "Miracle Day: Escape to LA"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, Jul 30, 2011.

1. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Was it just me, or did those doctors just wheel all those sick people into the hospital and leave them? I assumed the entire hospital was supposed to be an ICU where they would receive treatment, but it looked like they just left them in there.

I still don't see why people would be flocking to Oswald.

So they're on the run from the CIA.
    • The analyst chick think it's a good idea to drop by her sister's house, and really what did she expect to happen when she called the cops when she realized her sister has decided to shut herself in with the kids? Whose to say she didn't have the right idea?
    • Gwen and her hubby talk more on the phone than a couple of teenage girls. I keep half expecting someone to nab him and the baby.
    Glad Rex was as annoyed as I was by taking personal calls during a mission. I was also wondering why Jack or Rex didn't secure the package (Hard drives). If the assassin hadn't been such a chatter box and decided to just put a bullet in Gwen's brain, then kill Jack The mission could have been for nothing. Silly baddies always talking instead of doing what they've been paid to do.

Who would build a server room where only one man can get access to it? I understand it was a plot device, this isn't the show "White Collar" is it?

6 more episodes left, still holding out some hope that the ending is awesome TV.

2. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    This is getting to be more and more like 24 with every episode. I'm half expecting that the first draft of the script had CTU instead of CIA.

3. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    So, only a few days have passed? Why would everyone assume that this is a long term thing so quickly? And I can't see the "dead" piling up so quickly either.

Do we know if people are ageing or not? This has so many cool possibilities, but I'm not sure it's going to get there.

4. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    and since we're all getting annoyed, I think every post should contain something annoying about the show.

My Contribution: how many years has Jack lived? and he still fell for the trap of running to Gwen and dropping his guard? really? Even as an immortal, he would have died long ago from sheer stupidity.

5. TomK

TomK Active Member

May 22, 2001
    Huntsville,...
    Do we know how they got to Los Angeles? Couldn't/shouldn't someone be following Rhys and monitoring his phone to see if he was talking to Gwen? I'm trying not to overthink these things and just watch.

6. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Did anyone else think of the movie Escape from LA when reading the episode title?

7. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I never realized Russell T. Davies was such an idiot until I watched this season.

Was there a non-pathetic moment during this entire episode?

The least they could do is go for cheez. As it is, it's just sad.

8. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I think they drove cross-country in a stolen car.

Gwen's "American" accent was a hoot. I wonder if Eve Myles was deliberately going for something that bad, or if she simply wasn't able to do a good accent and so they hung a lantern on it and made it like Gwen was bad at it rather than Eve.

9. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    And I can't believe the CIA chick was so stupid as to go to her sister's house and get tracked.

In fact, I was in such disbelief that I assumed that the team had her do it on purpose in order to get someone to pick up their scent and come after them and they were going to be ready for whoever it was and capture them to get information. Because there's no way she could really be that stupid, right?

No. She was really that stupid. :rolleyes:

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The CIA woman is a desk jockey, not an agent. Yeah, her batshit crazy sister was a cheap plot device to have the team tracked but I can believe that she wouldn't know spycraft tactics.

I thought this episode was pretty good once you stop your brain from wondering how the hell Oswald Danes could be anything but a permanent pariah. The Danes subplot still makes little sense.

Bad guys are so stupid but at least this talkative one gave us hints that the ultimate bad guys are somehow connected to Jack's past.

It sucks to be that Dead Is Dead woman. I'm surprised she was done away with so soon. She was a better and more believable villain than Danes.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I believe that's something that could happen. But I also believe that when it happened, we wouldn't believe it could happen.

In other words, truth is stranger than fiction, but when your fiction is as strange as truth, you have to be awfully good to pull it off.

12. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Mehki Phifer is a terrible overactor.

13. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    An improvement over the last two episodes, but still reeking of bad writing and acting.

14. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Except in the previous episode Gwen told her flat out that "they" would probably be watching her sister's house.

15. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    But even the guy watching the sister's house reeked of a bad spy. I mean, he's parked right in front of the house?

16. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    C Thomas Howell hasn't aged very well. He looked like he's on his own way to becoming the Face of Boe.

17. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    C'mon! He was a few doors down! :p

Also, when he was standing on the beach, taking pics of Gwen, even though he was far away with a telephoto lens, he was on the beach dressed in a black suit. Gee, stand out much? :) That's another reason why I thought that he was being set up, because how could they not spot him???

Yeah... facially he seemed to me to be a cross between Jim Carrey and Barry Bostwick, with a hint of Dirty Harry.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think that kind of stuff is the same principle as taking a couple steps away from somebody and speaking in a normal tone of voice, and they can't hear you.

I.e., more for our sake than for theirs.

19. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I just paused this episode at the point where the doctor says 'This is disgusting' outside of the new hospital and I'm not sure I can go on watching this series. Such a fitting quote.

I would list all the ridiculous plot points that make this season so hard to stomach, but form the sound of the last few threads, I'm not alone in my opinion.

Starz have ruined Torchwood. Burn in Hell, Starz!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/29/torchwood-may-not-get-renewed/

20. TravisKU

TravisKU The Cable Guy

Nov 26, 2001
    Somewhere...
    This +5000
    I really like Torchwood but his scenes are painful to watch.

Travis