Torchwood 7/22/2011 (S04E03) "Miracle Day: Dead of Night"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Jul 23, 2011.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    This episode felt such a bore compared to the first two.

I can't think of any reason a nutjob like Oswald Danes could be desirable as any sort of advocate for pharmaceuticals.

I also can't believe that the whole thing could be related to deregulating prescription drugs so pharmaceutical companies could make big profits.

All this nonsense has to be a cover up of something alien. And this is just misdirection.

2. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Dang, that was slow. With a bunch of tired "brits don't speak or drive like we do" jokes.

3. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Least there was nekkid..

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The weird thing is that Rex scoffs at the notion of alien worlds.

In the Doctor Who universe. Where massive and very public alien invasions have taken place on several occasions.

5. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    best part was Gwen bashing the guard against the car, "Looks like you've done that before"
    "*sigh* "many many times"

6. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    That scene at the end with the bodyguards beating up Jack was a metaphor for the writers beating up the viewers' intelligence.

I have to keep watching, because I want to find out what is actually going on, but the whole season seems so.. off, for lack of a better word. The pacing is wrong, the characters are over the top, and as Doug Has already mentioned, some of the plot is just ludicrous, even for the Doctor Who universe.

7. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I am still loving Torchwood - although I agree with everyone this episode was paced pretty slowly.

But who's complaining when we got to see Jack engaging in carnal knowledge?

(which apparently - all the Jack nude frakking scenes have been cut from the BBC airing in the UK and people are NOT happy!)

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    This was a slower paced, move the chess pieces into position episode. I can deal with that.

We've seen gay sex and straight sex. I'm hoping for some lesbian sex next episode.

The Oswald Danes subplot makes no sense - again.

Why was Gwen driving anyway?

People here keep complaining about the pacing being off. What does that mean?

9. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    It doesn't FEEL like a Torchwood series yet.

10. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    This makes The Event look like Shakespeare.

11. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I wish I had your eloquence when I was trying to express how I felt about this season. Well played, sir.

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah.... I hate to say it, but this is pretty awful television.

I want to know where the recipe went so horribly wrong. I mean, you have some amazingly talented people both behind and in front of the camera.... but yeah, whatever it was, this isn't just not good when compared with the rest of Torchwood, it's just not good *period.*

And yet, because of that talent, and because it's Torchwood, I'm almost certain to grit my teeth and keep watching this series, in the hopes that somehow it improves. I just can't see that happening at this point.

13. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think part of the problem is they keep hitting us over the head with just how serious of a problem this is. Yet 2 of them go out to get some sex, and then we have time to bounce and secure a video chat with a hubby and baby.
    Then add on top of that the connections they have to "the baddies" seem so conveniently close to them. One girl's boss, and Rex's hot doctor's pharm rep/marketing person (seriously, is she a pharm rep or a PR person).

Then I remember I watch this cuz it's fun, and not serious drama. Until I get hit over the head again of just how serious this situation is. :\

14. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    It feels like I shouldn't even bother piling on, but I agree, it just doesn't feel right.

I was also really irritated at the incredibly poor dialogue around the "you speak different" bits. It was way too forced and unnecessary.

However, like my esteemed colleague from Milwaukee, I too will keep watching.

Z

15. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    :up:

16. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    wow talk about a bunch of queens over-reacting. :eek:

i'm enjoying it. is it as good as the last series? no.

are they trying really hard to re-formulate it since most of the original cast is gone.
    yes.

chillax people - it's still better than 75% of what's on TV.

17. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    Thanks for your valuable contribution to make up for all of our "over-reacting".

Z

18. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I actually don't agree. :(

19. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It's not awful. It just isn't COE quality.

20. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Through the first two episodes, I kept telling myself that, and posted as much. Now, after this episode, I'm not that generous. It is awful.