Top Shot Season 3

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by snowjay, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1 of 143
    snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...

Advertisements

Starts NOW!

2. Aug 10, 2011 #2 of 143
    Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I'd be like the ladies with that S/W 500..that is one big revolver.

Why did so many peeps have trouble with the Larue OBR, it would seem anyone on Top Shot would have experience loading AR style weapons.

3. Aug 10, 2011 #3 of 143
    JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    Keeping my fingers crossed that this season is more about the shooting and less about the "drama".

4. Aug 10, 2011 #4 of 143
    snowjay

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    Most of their problems were just forgetting to put the magazine in. Stress can make you forget the simple things, especially if you've never practiced that exact drill.

5. Aug 10, 2011 #5 of 143
    snowjay

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...

Advertisements

There was a lot more shooting last night it seemed and not too many scenes inside the house.

6. Aug 10, 2011 #6 of 143
    Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    Well they are just getting to hate each other, give it an elemination or two to sort out alliances. :)

7. Aug 10, 2011 #7 of 143
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Every episode of every season is all shooting and no drama when you have TiVo and FF. :)

8. Aug 11, 2011 #8 of 143
    RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I finally watched the season premiere. It was interesting to see how they divided them up into teams. Who thought it was a great idea to put all the LOSERS from the first competition on the same team?

Speaking of which, the pairs seemed to have been chosen more along the lines of similarities of profession/age/military service than any real shooting ability.

The shooting from a stagecoach was little more than a rehash of the same competition from last season where a Humvee was used instead. It's still a hard shoot though.

I was hoping Amanda would survive the challenge though. There's something about Mark's personality that makes me think he'll eventually turn his own team against him, like Jay did last season. After Amanda said something along the lines that Mark was wound a bit tight, I nearly ROTFL'd when their instructor said the same thing :D

9. Aug 11, 2011 #9 of 143
    jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    I'm suprised there wasn't more TEAMWORK in the team challenge. A few minutes is all that would be needed before the start. Ok, you guys on that side of the log, you guys on that side. Take the shooters by hand assist them up the log. Done. But no, you had the people just watching the shooters crawl up the log. I even saw several shooters get on the platform first and then forget about the person behind them. They could have stood near the edge and pulled the 2nd shooters up. dumb dumb dumb.

On the shooting, painful to watch for some of those guys. Too bad the challenge wasn't if you use all 10 rounds then you must completely reload the magazine (10 rounds) before you can shoot again. Maybe the wind was a big factor as it is always windy where they are.

10. Aug 11, 2011 #10 of 143
    snowjay

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    The producers. :D

By pairing up the matches the way they did, I think they might of been trying to keep friends, service mates, etc.. from being on the same team for diversity and to keep teams equal in that respect.

11. Aug 11, 2011 #11 of 143
    RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    They didn't show a lot of it, but they did show the teams briefing themselves as to what to do. Mostly about who goes first, but at least one team (I think it was blue) discussed putting the log on everybody's left shoulder for simplicity's sake. The other team had half supporting the log on one shoulder and half on the other. So it looked like there was some discussion beforehand.

Now it's one thing to plan, and another to execute those plans, and under stress it's not unusual for things to not go as planned. Remember Season 2's blue team, when during one of the early competitions, Jermaine not once but TWICE ran up the hill with the rifle, forgetting to leave it place for the next guy?

Agreed. Considering most of these shooters have successful competitions under their belts, it's surprising how many had trouble acquiring their target early.

As far as making them fully reload each mag, there is also a disadvantage in partially loading them as well, since you will have to take time to remove, reload, and replace the mag again if you use them all up. That dilemma was specifically pointed out in a previous competition (I believe it was Season 2): do I take the time to have a full mag, or do I partially fill one which is quicker but know I have fewer chances before I got to reload again?

12. Aug 11, 2011 #12 of 143
    RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I'm pretty sure the producers were behind that decision ;) I agree with making the teams more random (probably in the hopes of preventing last season's antics) but I would think there's a better way to do it.

13. Aug 11, 2011 #13 of 143
    snowjay

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    They could of split the winners/losers (i.e. winner 1 blue, winner 2 red, winner 3 blue...) and still had the same diversity between the teams and put them on more equal footing.

14. Aug 12, 2011 #14 of 143
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Certainly one problem would be objectively determining the "worst two". Was it the person who took the most shots to get the target? What about the person who had a hard time getting up the log? And should the last few shooters get an (objective) break because their heart rates would have been higher than the first few shooters?

15. Aug 14, 2011 #15 of 143
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I like this show but have mixed feelings about it. I realize it would be boring to just watch guys shoot. (I have shot archery and don't recommend being a spectator at a match) But some of these physical challenges have nothing to do with marksmanship. So we are not necessarily getting the Top Shot but a top athelete. Is that the premise?

16. Aug 14, 2011 #16 of 143
    snowjay

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    The physical challenges are used to get the heart rate and adrenaline up of the competitors and even create more stress in them. It's not really about being an athlete but who can really perform under pressure. But, the better athlete you are the better you should fair. If you are overweight and get winded walking up a flight of stairs, you aren't going to be very accurate if your chest is pounding and you are out of breath.

17. Aug 14, 2011 #17 of 143
    MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    I can understand the reasoning behind that, but it's not really looking for the best marksman. My wife could easily outshoot any of the women they have had and probably many of the men, but due to a few health issues wouldn't be able to compete on the show at all.

18. Aug 14, 2011 #18 of 143
    ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Just finished the first episode. Enjoyed it, but should the woman that got eliminated really have been on the show in the first place? Her hit percentage was 10%. Seems like she was more of a token female than a legit competitor. Or the talent pool they had to choose from was REALLY shallow. I'd rather see the 16 best competitors regardless of the male/female ratio.

19. Aug 14, 2011 #19 of 143
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
  20. Aug 14, 2011 #20 of 143
    snowjay

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    Not all the competitions in the past have had a physical aspect to it but many do. A lot of regular shooting competitions have stages that you need to run in or at least move about. Bullseye matches would be terrible to watch on TV.