Top Gear US Season 2

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RonDawg, Aug 10, 2011.

1. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I know only a couple of episodes have aired, but what does everybody think of it so far?

Personally, I think it's a big improvement over Season 1. The hosts look a bit more comfortable in front of the camera and appear to be a lot more comfortable with each other.

Granted, Jeremy, James, and Richard are in no danger of being eclipsed by them, but considering how many folks (including me) didn't think there was going to be a Season 2, I think it's a pretty good effort so far.

2. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Horrible so far. Boring boring boring.

3. tripmac

tripmac NASA Supporter

Oct 4, 2004
    Statesboro, GA
    I was never able to get into the BBC version, just could not hold my attention.

I really did not even watch season 1 other than bits and pieces.

I am finding this season entertaining. I drove a CRX for a while and it was fun watching them drive that car. I still skip some slower segments, but am enjoying it for 30 minutes of mindless entertainment.

4. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I'm enjoying it.

5. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I'm still watching the show. It isn't nearly as good as the UK version, but I like it.

6. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Bad acting, wooden performances. More trucks. I'm offended that the producers think the original show needs to be dumbed down like this for the American audience. I'd be embarrassed if they showed this outside the U.S. and gave the impression this is what we liked to watch.

7. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    This is a show I *should* love. But I can't make it through an episode without turning it off.
    Something about the hosts bother me.

8. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    I was hoping for an improvement over last season. Unfortunately, it's the same uncomfortable awkward host interaction as last season. I don't care for or respect their opinion and that's why the show fails for me.

9. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I think most things are improving. The stupid map seems to be gone from the Suzuki laps, offering a welcome side effect of tighter editing. For the Stig's laps I think they'd made it even worse by adding a speedometer. Camera mounts in the cars are vastly better.

I was decently amused by the truck episode, though I wonder if every show really needs to feature Tanner doing a burnout. I was impressed to see the F-450 move a train, even if only eight feet. That was definitely more interesting to watch than the attempt up the runaway truck ramp.

The challenge in the season premier which involved hauling "manure" in Texas was quite funny. The shot of Tanner with all of the mulch blowing behind him on the road was memorable.

On the down side, the "live" banter amongst the hosts in or around the studio is still incredibly stiff. In the remotes they seem much more relaxed and natural. Adam definitely seems miscast for this show, though. I don't get the feeling that he knows much about cars.

10. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    I'm enjoying this season. I don't think they really dumbed down the show all that much. They've featured pickup trucks a couple times because American's like trucks. Remember when TGUK did the SouthEastern US special, Hammond was very very excited to get to buy a pickup. It seems they are quite rare in the UK aside from the Hi-Lux which is a minitruck, not a full size truck.

11. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I enjoyed the race between Tanner in that car/off-road truck hybrid and the Texan in the souped-up airboat. Tanner did an awesome job of making up lost time and eventually beating the airboat, though just barely. I would say it's the best segment they ever had so far.

Big Star/Small Car could use some more refinement though. I'm not sure if it's the narration, or the editing, or the camera angles, but the segment still has a lot of catching up to do with "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car."

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Without starting a big argument, can someone explain why they think this is so much worse than the UK version?

Apparently I've watched only about 4 eps of the UK version, and most of not all of the US version. (Back when I was using netflix streaming more often, a lot of them wouldn't play on my S3, and I'm a completist, so I was keeping track of which eps I'd seen, like I do for a lot of shows.)

I'm not even a car person, but their various stunts (on both versions) are interesting. I mean the "My First Car" and such.

I just don't get why people revile it so much. I have NO IDEA who these people are, and probably would have liked Adam Carolla much better (I apparently don't get the SPEED channel).. but they're vaguely entertaining, about what I'd say about the UK people, who I don't know either.

13. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    For me, it all starts with the fact that the UK guys are all professional broadcasters, journalists, and writers. They all have long histories of presenting for various television or radio shows. That helps give them so much more presence in front of the camera, and that in turn helps make the show so much more watchable. Of the US guys, only Rutledge has any significant television experience, and that's as a NASCAR commentator, not a host.

Camaraderie on the UK show is still considerably better than that on the US show, although I'll grant that the US guys are improving.

One thing that cannot be avoided, however, is that the UK version is generally an hour long, and that is commercial (and interruption) free. The US version, on the other hand, is the typical 42 minute (give or take) highly commercial interrupted show you get over here. As such, the UK show flows so much better, and they aren't rushed to try and jam everything in. The pacing on the US show can be a rather jarring because they are working against the clock.

The last thing is a little hard to put into words. All of the segments on the UK version are just beautiful. Even a simple review is filmed as if it were an epic masterpiece... and when they do a piece like the one on Ayrton Senna, or one from the most recent season finale on disabled Afghanistan war veterans trying to compete in the Dakar rally, it's breathtaking. Yet, they can just as easily do these epic screwball comedies, just three car guys messing around, that are hilarious. I honestly don't see either the same sort of quality coming out of the US version, and the comedy they do here doesn't have the same ease or fun as the UK version.

If I had to describe the US version very briefly, it would be "trying too hard, and failing."

14. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    And yet Rutledge is the guy I dislike the most on the U.S. version.

Not only beautiful, but also witty. Some of the analogies that Clarkson uses seem to come out of nowhere but are just great.

Let me point those of you that haven't really watched much of the U.K. version, check out 2 segments in particular. Check out the trip to Albania and piece they did on the Renault Robin. I think after watching those, you'll get it.

15. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    That bit had me HOWLING with laughter. :D:up:

16. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Especially later when they had Stig out to set a lap time in it. :up:

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wait - which piece on the Robin, the one with Clarkson, or the one with Hammond and May and the space shuttle?

18. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    The space shuttle launch was awesomesauce.

19. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Anyway, for the US version, I would have loved to see them use some already famous car guys with on-screen experience. A few names I could envision: Jay Leno, Tim Allen, Adam Carolla, Christopher Titus. You get any of those people, you already are ten steps ahead of where we are today.

20. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I'd forgotten the space shuttle was a Robin.
    I was thinking of the Clarkson one from one a more recent series (season)
    where it tips over every time he (or later stig) tries to go round a corner