Top Gear - S24E01 - ...and they're back! - 3/5/2017 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Mar 5, 2017 #1 of 18
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

Just finished watching the first episode. I think this season is going to be much better than the last one. All three hosts are very likeable and they have a good repoire.

That FXXK looks like an amazing car, but what a pain to own. You'd have to go through a massive logistics exercise to ever be able to drive it.

That FRS (GT86) will make for much more exciting celebrity laps. With rear-wheel drive, it's actually going to take some skill to get a decent time. That's a good thing in my book.

I was laughing so hard when Rory knocked his cab off the blocks and it drove away without him. And that wreck with the Volvo and the Mercedes seemed really bad, but the Merc hardly had any damage while the Volvo was mangled. I wonder if LeBlanc got whiplash from that.

Finally, at the end when they showed the black cab up on the display posts, there was a Russian version of the space shuttle behind it. I didn't know they ever built a space shuttle. Did it ever go into space?

2. Mar 5, 2017 #2 of 18
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually enjoyed it! Of course Chris and Rory did the red-button Extra Gear last year and many people thought they should be in the main show. I think they proved their worth! Even LeBlanc was bearable without the ginger twat in the mix!

I noticed they addressed the complaints about last year's track and returned to the original, albeit in a Toyota 86 (as it's be known here now Scion is no more). Not sure how much Harris' haranging of the guest will get annoying over time, but we'll see.

Overall, a good showing, even with the return of the challenges. I could totally see the scene with the cab running away with Hammond doing the chasing! The new studio is clean and bright and really, if they could add some kind of news section, they could keep it going as Top Gear without Clarkson, Hammond and May!

BTW, if you'[re wondering what a Renault Twingo is (Rory said he'd be driving one after Chris' spin in the FXXK), here it is...

upload_2017-3-5_22-22-39.jpeg

3. Mar 6, 2017 #3 of 18
    redrouteone

redrouteone This Space for Lease TCF Club

Jun 16, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    How did y'all watch it? I checked Amazon and they don't have season 24 yet.

4. Mar 6, 2017 #4 of 18
    ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    My guess is less than legal means. :) Don't think it premieres in the states until 3/12.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  5. Mar 6, 2017 #5 of 18
    kdelande

kdelande TiVo-Wobble

Dec 17, 2001
    Louisville,...

Advertisements

Yes, the Buran. Buran (spacecraft) - Wikipedia. One unit made it into space for 2 orbits and then landed autonomously. That was about it before it became financially nonviable to continue to fund.

Based on it's look and feel, and the state of our relations with the USSR at the time, it's pretty obvious where the design and engineering came from :rolleyes:

6. Mar 6, 2017 #6 of 18
    osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    The 12th on BBC America, they moved it up a day.

7. Mar 6, 2017 #7 of 18
    ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Nice!!!

(Updated my post.)

8. Mar 6, 2017 #8 of 18
    MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    With the first shot of the blocks, it looked pretty darn solid. The second shot and it was obvious that it was going to fall off. Every shot from then on was just a it's-this-time-right? moment. When it did take off, he seemed quite surprised.

9. Mar 8, 2017 #9 of 18
    lambertman

lambertman Still not Bertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    This was a lot of fun. I didn't hate Chris Evans like everyone else did, but the vibe was so much better with this trio.

10. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Watched this last night.

EXCELLENT!!!

Loved every minute.

The chemistry between the hosts is great. The segments were informative and fun. The return to the original track is good news and the Toyota 86 should be interesting. Even the James McAvoy stuff was handled well because it was in bits and pieces and wasn't a huge stretch. Add some news and we are good to go!

Top Gear is Top Gear again. The Grand Tour pales in comparison. I don't even want to talk about them in the same thread anymore but I know I won't be able to help myself. :)

Bravo, BBC! :up:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  11. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    2nd episode was even better

12. redrouteone

redrouteone This Space for Lease TCF Club

Jun 16, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    I just watched it. I agree great episode, had that classic TopGear feel. The old car challenge have always been my favorite.

13. purwater

purwater I make tasty water

Aug 25, 2005
    SW Virginia
    I actually enjoyed this trio. I didn't realize how much Evans ruined the show until we got to see the new group together. Last season was so bad that I didn't even bother with the last couple of episodes. It's great to have 2 car shows that are actually enjoyable to watch now.

14. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    While I think it's better than last season, I still didn't find it that great. I think Matt is doing a decent job but I don't feel the camaraderie between the 3 hosts and the conversation seems forced.

And what no Stig!!

Scott

15. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Spoiler alert...

The Stig is back in Ep 2!

16. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Although with a bona fide racing driver (Harris) as one of the presenters, it kind of makes the Stig unnecessary. If they could do Power Laps with Harris driving and providing actual feedback about how the car feels as he's driving the lap, wouldn't that be more entertaining than just watching a white-suited mute drive the car?

17. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I've seen only the first episode thus far and so my comment below will only reflect that.

While Chris Evans' absence is much appreciated, for some reason I feel the three of them haven't quite clicked yet. I don't agree that this latest Top Gear is better than The Grand Tour, at least not so far. Hopefully it will get better.

The comment about Leblanc thinking Timbuktu and Kazakhstan weren't really real places was just dumb. The one thing I don't miss about Clarkson's absence from the show is perpetuating the "dumb American" stereotype and I really wish they don't go there again.

I hope they're not going to show Harris' driving instruction to the star of the week every single week; this week's got old after the second spin-out, and I don't need to constantly hear Harris telling the star that the car's electronic nannies saved his (or her) azz on that corner. They should only show it if there's something epic along the lines of what Sir Michael Gambon did to get a corner of the track named after him.

I did enjoy the challenge though. That said, I find it hard to believe that Leblanc didn't realize that was an ex-taxi Mercedes. Someone as knowledgeable about cars about him, and as well traveled as him, would know that's a standard German taxi color. However, I don't think that was a former taxi, as after the car was hit it appeared to reveal a light blue color in the areas formerly hidden by other pieces. Like with the Crown Vic, you can order a Mercedes model typically used as a taxi in a typical taxi base color (beige in the case of Germany) so there's no need to repaint it in that color.

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Obviously much of this show is scripted, just like TGT, even when they're trying to make it sound like regular off-the-cuff conversation. Clarkson/Hammond/May have gotten really good at making the scripted convo sound spontaneous, but they've had 15+ years to do it. LeBlanc/Harris/Reid are still developing their chemistry, so they're not going to compare favorably to the veterans, at least not yet.