Top Chef - Texas - season thread - spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by betts4, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1 of 59
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I watched last night after getting the alert here - Thanks sharkster and dbranco!!!

I am interesting in the elimination thing and wanted some input on what I heard/saw. How many jackets were handed out to the first goup (whole pig)? and then how many to the second group (rabbit)? and how many are left for the "bubble group".

I loved that Tom sent that guy that was butchering the pig up. Sent him home right away. He destroyed the meat and almost ruined one chef's dish. She recovered it and I think that was points in her favor.

2. Nov 3, 2011 #2 of 59
    walkerism

walkerism The Clean Up Man

Aug 16, 2001
    Miami, FL
    If I counted correctly, they are 5 jackets left for the third group and the bubble group. I love that they sent the arrogant chef home. I don't have a favorite yet, but I liked a couple from the rabbit group.

3. Nov 3, 2011 #3 of 59
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Okay, that was my count also, but it seemed like an uneven judging then. I liked the big guy that when handed the jacket, Tom said "xxl right?" with a smile.

4. Nov 3, 2011 #4 of 59
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    This is Top Chef *TEXAS*. There are 30 chefs in the first cut but not one is from Texas? WTF?

5. Nov 3, 2011 #5 of 59
    bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Yep. 11 out of 16 already handed out. That leaves 5. But I'm sure they will reserve at least 1 for the bubble group. Means the 3rd group can only get 4 jackets max.

6. Nov 3, 2011 #6 of 59
    walkerism

walkerism The Clean Up Man

Aug 16, 2001
    Miami, FL
    To me, it seems like half of this crew is from Chicago. Am I the only one who sees this?

7. Nov 3, 2011 #7 of 59
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I noticed too.

Maybe group 3 is stacked with some "locals" :)

I hope..

So it will take two shows to pare down to the standard 16 or so chefs. Intersting how they had different judges for group 1 and 2. Swapping out Emeril for Gail.

8. Nov 3, 2011 #8 of 59
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I noticed they changed the name to just Top Chef, so my SP picked it up. I had it backed up anyway. What was odd was that in the morning I checked and it was still called TC TX but yesterday evening it was just TC. Anyway -

Well, this reminded me of Master Chef. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's kind of a cool way to go, giving twice as many people the chance to qualify.

I have to day, I was laughing my butt off when Chef Tom let that one jerkwad go, who just terrorized that pork.

I totally noticed that it seemed like at least half were from Chicago...the rest seemed to be from Seattle. But, hey you just KNOW they are going to have some cocky guys from TX (who will probably make me root for their early demise because I cannot stand that attitude).

9. Nov 3, 2011 #9 of 59
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    My bet is that group 3 will have Hugh Acheson as the third judge.

10. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Also loved that they show a comment from him saying how much better he was at cutting than the other chefs. He just got there and already criticizing others before he even knows them. What a tool!

11. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I liked that scruffy looking chef next to the "celebrity chef" being pissed because he wanted that cut of meat, but lost it to him then had to watch him ruin it.

12. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Unibrow guy is back! :D I was kind of glad to see him in the intro segment. When he was first on his season of TC I was put off by him (that unibrow seems to take over the entire screen), but after he came back and I got to know him more I really liked him.

13. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    My guess too. And maybe the bubble group?

14. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    bios for the first 11 are available

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-9/bios

I do like how they booted the guy hacking up the pork primal before he even COOKED something. Then some got the boot before they even tasted anything.

hard core!

15. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I do not like this format so far - I really hope this is the last time we see it.

16. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, have to agree that this episode was simultaneously dull and confusing with so many new faces. One could argue that it doesn't really premiere in the traditional sense until next week, because this really did seem like a throwaway ep.

Oh, and regarding Emeril. No. Just no. I miss Ted Allen...what happened to insightful criticism from guest judges on this show? :(

17. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    you mean for THIS season or any season?

I think the idea was to give an "inside look" into the casting process. Normally, what you are seeing would be done for producers and not the judges and wouldn't be televised. This time, they decided to involve the judges. And let the audience see..

Seems by epsiode three, we'll have the initial 16, and it will be more normal TC.

18. oscarfish

oscarfish Active Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I still don't quite get this new format, even though I think I like it. How do they know that there will be any spots left over for the undecided group when they haven't judged group 3 yet?

19. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    Any season. I'd rather just see the cooking competitions, not the casting process. It didn't hold my interest a single bit.

20. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Love that Hugh Acheson, that guy is awesome! So dry and witty it's great