Top Chef-Texas "Restaurant Wars"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by betts4, Jan 12, 2012.

1. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Restaurant Wars by Gender. That was fun! To see how catty the gals got and how fast the guys got disorganized.

I was still thinking no matter how many times the guys changed their arrangements of who did what, they still did better than Lindsay who kept everyone waiting at the front - even the judges!

Bev - come on girl - stick up for yourself!!! you did great and I am glad you won, but man did you take a beating in the kitchen. I wasn't crazy about you doing short ribs...again. That is reminding me of other one note chefs, but you did help others out. Even if they didn't really acknowledge it in the end.

Chris does one dish, a dessert, and it wasn't even that great and he doesn't go home? Well, maybe next week.

2. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area

Which just goes to show you that it is still really all about the food

3. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Yep. You can forgive bad service if the food is great. The other way around, not so much.

4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Did anybody else notice that 'Austin Motel' sign? Maybe it's just me, but that struck me as odd.

This episode didn't seem to hold my interest.

5. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Seems like Sarah and Lindsay were competing in a *****-off.

6. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    You could tell that Sarah was really pissed that Beverly won. To be fair, everyone was doing 2 dishes, but Beverly had more time to perfect her one. She kept screwing up Lindsay's dish, but part of that is Lindsay's fault for not teaching her how to make it properly. They goofed by not having an expediter. Unfortunately, the best person to do that is someone who isn't as busy, but since all of the dishes had to be cooked at the moment, or plated at the moment, then there really wasn't anyone to help Lindsay out. She was trying to do 2 or 3 jobs at once. I was afraid she was going to go home until the girl team won.

Moto Chris is barely hanging on at this point. I have a feeling he thought that he was a better chef than he really is. He saw Richard Blais do all these great things with molecular gastronomy and kick ass on the show. The problem is that Richard served better tasting food than Moto Chris puts out there. Weird food isn't enough to take it through.

7. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I thought it was non-impressive all the way around.

New strategy for Restaurant Wars: Don't focus any time on decor or service and just focus on the food, because none of that stuff appereantly matters to the judges.

8. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Not necessarily. I think if the other group's food was up to snuff, it would have come down to service and decor. First of all, it's the food. After that, it's the service. The front people have gone home before, due to poor service, so they can't ignore that. It's just that Lindsay's poor service (on seating, and food coming out late) wasn't nearly as egregious as the lesser quality food of the other group.

9. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Was restaurant wars later in the season this time? Or were there always just 4 people on each team. I could swear they had five. One FOH, one person anointed Exec. Chef, and then everyone else working the line. This year, no Exec. Chef. Lindsay wasn't just trying to Exec. Chef/Expedite, she was back there plating stuff. I think that is what killed her FOH duties.

Of course, they still managed to win because they did what is most important in TC. Put out the better food.

10. Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    In past seasons there always seemed to be at least a few chefs much better than the others. I have yet to see one this season stand out. At this point I would love to see Bev win. With this group and a little luck who knows what could happen.

11. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    It's Top Chef, not Top Short Rib. ;)

12. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    :up:

13. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User