Top Chef Texas "BBQ Pit wars" 1/4/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by betts4, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1 of 51
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Just watched this and all I felt at the end was pity for these guys. This is the second competition where they have to be on a team and up all night and then all day. Yuck.

Red team losing one member seemed to really hurt them but then would the chicken have turned out different? I guess the brisket might have because they wouldn't have had to cut it up and then have it sort of 'steaming' instead of being fresh. The judges brought this up and Ed said they had to do that because they were down one person and didn't want a long line of people waiting. Tom seemed to think that would have been okay, but I don't think they could have won with the judges either way. If there was a long line, but the brisket was good, I bet the judges would be harping on that.

I was interested when the judges pulled the two teams back and said anyone of the 6 of them could have gone home. It was a matter of choosing who was worse then the other 5 that were also bad

2. Jan 5, 2012 #2 of 51
    NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Yeah. When did Top Chefs become half survivor? I don't want/need to see these guys pushed to their physical limits just to cook. Focus on creative challenges that will allow these guys to showcase their skills with amazing/interesting food. Not a challenge to see who can "season" or "cook" a chicken properly...

Weak direction...

3. Jan 5, 2012 #3 of 51
    Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    What do you guys think of this season so far? I have the episodes saved but haven't watched beyond the first one. None of the 'characters' seemed very compelling.

4. Jan 6, 2012 #4 of 51
    Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I'm not a fan of the cooking all night in the extreme heat thing. It's not safe. And making such a team event means that the rest of the team is punished if someone ends up having to step out due to illness brought on by the competition. It was incredibly hot this past summer - dangerously so. Those challenges were downright ugly. Heat stroke is not something you "work through". It is the kind of thing that can kill you. The fact that they took her to the hospital means that she wasn't in good shape.

Had Ed said that they were in trouble, I wonder if they would have gotten help from Tom or someone. I would have asked if there was something that could be done for them had they said that they were in trouble without her.

Padma should have just said Chris C instead of holding it out just that much longer. It makes her bitchier than usual.

As far as grilled vs bbq - for many, grilled meats are barbequed meats if they are seasoned that way, or cooked on the bbq. It isn't necessarily smoked meats.

5. Jan 6, 2012 #5 of 51
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    If you like Top Chef, I would just go ahead and watch it.

The cheftestants haven't been that interesting so far. I have no guess as to who the who the "fan favorite" will be. My guess is the girl singing the liitle green frog song. :D
    [​IMG]
    There have had some cool challenges, and then there have been others I was surprised by how boring they were.
    The progressive dinner with the rich (but absolutely boring pallets) people.

In terms of a reality show it's been meh, as a cooking competition show it's still good, just a hiccup here and there.

Chris' beer can chicken was smart, but he used it more as a gimmick, and was a little too proud of it.

6. Jan 6, 2012 #6 of 51
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Tom probably would have said "a Top chef would know how to handle this." I think if I was Ed or Ty my answer would have been "a Top Chef wouldn't have let themselves be in a situation like this and screw you", but I guess with the money involved that they have already won, it wouldn't be a smart move.

Did they just replace one annoying chef with another?

7. Jan 6, 2012 #7 of 51
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I thought the beercan chicken idea was great. I'm not sure how it couldn't have had much "smoke" flavor.

I was surprised to see them all have to use 1 smoker. That isn't something you want to keep opening/closing the door to every time a team wants to check their meats. And what if a team wanted to do everything in the smoker? No way there would have been enough room.

8. Jan 6, 2012 #8 of 51
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    As any of the people on this board who frequent the BBQ places of Central Texas will tell you the Salt Lick was the worst choice for displaying TX BBQ. Should have taken them on a tour of Lockhart.

9. Jan 6, 2012 #9 of 51
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Yeah, I have a crush on Grayson. First, cause I find her hot. Second, 'cause she is a fellow Cheesehead. Third, 'cause I love her little green frog song. That was the clincher. My first girlfriend (decades ago), that I met out camping in N Wisconsin, was just like Grayson. Of course, we were 15 at the time. Same hair.

I don't see why they failed so badly. BBQ is easy, really, if you have that much time. However, chefs in Texas should know grilled doesn't equal BBQ. Not in that part of the world.

10. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Yeah the pitmasters in TX I follow on Twitter were laughing at the girl who is from TX who shouted "BBQ? I love to grill!". Not the same thing darling. :D

11. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I grew up knowing the green frog song. It's slightly different, and the last line is completely different, but the tune is the same (and I still stick my tongue out). :) It cracked me up that she knew it.

12. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    She is alluring, but I think she'd wear me out. In a good way. ;)

13. Grasshopper AZ

Grasshopper AZ Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    +1000. I love Grayson. She is the favorite is this house. The previous week when she made the "Wisconsin" sized steak the accent she was using could have been anyone from my wifes family.

It doesn't hurt that she brought up "sex in the mouth" either :eek:

14. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I prefer Salt Lick over Lockhart but it really depends on the individual item you are eating. I only have limited experience at both but the Austin locals with whom I went felt the same. The ribs at Salt Lick were a little better (though still not the best I've had) and the sausage was way better.

What exactly were they doing all night? It feels overblown. Most of the time would have been spent just monitoring the pit and smoker. They could have done that in shifts.

Beer can chicken has to stand on the beer can as far as I know. I would imagine that would make it difficult to impart smoke flavor on most parts of the chicken if just using a pit.

I really want a copy of Modernist Cuisine. I am even more impressed with Myhrvold than I was before seeing him in this episode.

15. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I looked, and that Modernist Cuisine is like $500 on Amazon. I think it used to be about $1000.

16. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I think it used to be over $1000 even. $500 is still steep. I'd buy it if there ever were a lightning deal for $250.

17. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    No - it's retail has always been $625. I have come near to pulling the trigger on it. Right now it's $448.94 on Amazon. Still too high for me, even though everything I have read about it is impressive.

18. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm sure sales will skyrocket since this episode aired.

19. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I remember some people selling it for a lot more than retail a while back; but not on amazon I guess...

20. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm not really feeling at all invested as I have in previous seasons. I did really like Chuy, so was bummed when he got the ax. Since then I haven't latched onto anybody. There are the bitchy ones, the irritating ones, and the just plain lackluster ones. Maybe it will get better. Going to keep watching.

The guy who talks through his jaw kind of drives me nuts and topknot guy needs to go.