Top Chef: South Carolina- season thread (*spoilers*)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....

Advertisements

Since people aren't really posting Top Chef episodes any longer, I figure I'll just do a whole season thread instead. Feel free to start individual posts if you'd rather.

Half of the cast as 'veterans' and half as 'rookies' is kind of a dick move. While it is interesting to see those that have done this before, knowing what to do, and then watching them tank, it could set up an us vs them mentality. You could see how the veteran/rookie thing came into play when they were set up as a team and the rookies had no idea how to shop as a team.

There's one of the 'veterans' that came out and I was like "huh?" Never remember seeing her before, and she hasn't cooked for over a year (works as a bartender).

Obviously one of the 'newbies' doesn't like the veteran/rookie references and already has a chip on her shoulder.

I do like the fact that it seems like there are better chefs this year, if the progressive meal was the best they've ever had. It's nice to know that they all can cook.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I like seeing some of the returning vets. Casey! I like Katsuji too. I'm even excited to see John Tesar. I sorta have to pull for him and hope he represents Dallas well. Plus I just want to see if the "hated" side of him shows up.

3. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    That newbie with the chip on her shoulder has already gotten on my nerves. Seriously, getting upset being called a rookie? :rolleyes:

From the first three eps, it does sound like they are making great food, especially the latest meal. I like radishes, but 14 courses of radish dishes seems a bit much.

I didn't really like the newbie vs rookie angle in the first two eps, but now they mixed up the teams, which I think is a good thing. So far, it is 2 rookies and 1 vet gone, so not particularly lopsided yet. I like seeing the vets back, although I don't remember some of them.

4. jon777

jon777 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    Was particularly looking forward to this season, as we were just in Charleston this spring while they were filming. In fact, we went to one of the restaurants (FIG) for dinner where they filmed during the day. Of course, the staff was all sworn (and I'm sure signed) to secrecy. But fun seeing some of the sites and places we went to. (It is an amazing food city, and really interesting history)

I think after this many seasons, they need to keep changing it up to keep it fresh, so the rookies vs. veterans is fun. The vets definitely have the early advantage as they understand the criticality of the clock as the gamemanship that goes on. That said, it should even out as we get to mid-season. Some good chefs in both camps, as evidenced by the outstanding results in the last meal (ep 3 radish). Looking forward to seeing how things progress.

On a local Top Chef note, Lindsay Autry just opened a new restaurant near here (in West Palm Beach), called Regional Kitchen. Looking forward to trying it soon (it's been open for about 2 months, so they should have the kinks worked out. The reviews have been very positive to date...

5. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV

Advertisements

Bummer losing Sam. :( I'm just wanting to see that John guy go and the one newbie woman who was mentioned upthread.

6. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Well, nothing like John pulling out truffles to keep from getting sent home very early on in the competition.

7. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    I still can't get over the tasting with a spoon and going back in for another taste......with the same spoon. Especially when one of the first episodes of Top Chef had someone get sent home for tasting with their finger as if that was completely taboo.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  8. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    I didn't see that. I saw someone tasting with a metal spoon, but I had to assume he was cleaning it between tastes. Most chefs now use plastic spoons and throw them away after tasting.

However, if that annoys you, DON'T watch Wolfgang Puck! He does a lot of promoting his branded products on one of the shopping channels (for which I work!) and annoys the heck out of me with his constant finger-tasting, double-dipping with a spoon, etc., all while touching/scratching/wiping his nose in between! :eek:

9. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    So I'm opposite you two. Katsuji is annoying the heck out of me, and I have a lot of respect for John having turned his attitude around. He genuinely seems to care about not being a jerk, whereas Katsuji revels in his abrasiveness. As far as I'm concerned he can take his thousand ingredient dishes and head home.

This was a perfect example of how being a return player gives a HUGE advantage. But the guy he beat (forget his name) wasn't exactly blowing anyone away with his cooking.

10. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Sam did it with a wooden spoon. I saw that, too. On some previous seasons, they've had a big bunch of tasting spoons available, but I haven't seen a lot of that lately. I've seen it happen time and again as well. Honestly, while it seems a little gross, this stuff gets cooked hot enough that they aren't going to make you sick. It's just rude.

11. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    See, I see Katsuji is just being a smartass. I'm glad to see John Tesar less of an ass in general. I have a feeling that he watched his season and realized exactly how he looked, rather than how he thought he came across. It may have made him lose a job or two, or lose job offers.

12. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I never did like Katsuji but I guess that John made a bigger ahole impression on me the first time. I need to pay him more attention so I can appreciate that he's changed. I'm all for second chances! :)

13. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    This show makes me want to go out to eat. I'm not a huge radish fan by any stretch but I want to try every one of those dishes.

14. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    The rookie offended by rookie seems confused. You're not a rookie chef *you wouldn't be on the show otherwise*, you're a rookie to the show.

Tesar is actually a likable guy now. Good for him for turning it around.

My rookie fav is the guy who cooks for the state of AL.

And how many times can you go on this show? Which Vet is on their 3rd try? I mean, at some point, accept you are not going to win and move on.

Agatha Mystery likes this.
  15. goblue97

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    I'm pretty sure her name is Amanda. She's one of the returning chefs and she kinda looks like the Big Fat Greek Wedding lady. I noticed that she probably did it again on the last episode. It's hard to say for sure though because they cut away at just the right time.

16. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I swear I've seen it a few times.

17. goblue97

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    Oh for sure. I was just piling on. :) It was pretty blatant in one of the first two episodes.

18. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Anybody know where the TC Kitchen is? It looks like Johnson and Wales, but I'm not sure.
    I'm enjoying watching this season since Charleston is my home town. And as always, I hope Casey wins.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  19. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Casey isn't going to win. I like her. I just don't think it is going to happen for her.

20. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    And this week, Casey was both on top and on bottom. That's why she isn't going to win, unfortunately. She can make some great stuff, but she has issues with consistency.