Top Chef "Second Helping" 8/22/07

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by smallwonder, Aug 22, 2007.

1. smallwonder

smallwonder Age quod agis

Jun 13, 2001
    MD, USA
    Sad to see Tre go but he exited with class. Hope he succeeds in his own restaurant venture. :up:

2. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I was not surprised at the team losing, it seemed from right at the beginning of the show they were doomed.

Man, Sara can dice and Hung can butcher! They were both very fast, very good!

3. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    It always seems like these kind of shows give you a hint of who's going home. Early on Tre mentions that he's the one to beat...or something to that affect. How smug was that guest judge...he needs a swift kick in the arse!

4. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I predict Tre has the brightest future of anyone in this cast, regardless of who wins.

5. Dead INside

Dead INside New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Tre wins like every other challenge, has one bad outing and gets the boot.

Howie seems to be in the worst of the worst like every week but hes still around. Tre would have made it much farther by being an A**hole since it seems thats all the porducers of this show are looking for.

6. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Every time Tre said he could cook something in his sleep it turned out horrible.

His barbecue and then his Bread pudding. Hopefully he stops sleep-cooking.

7. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I was thinking that also. He keeps saying 'easy' and then it comes out really bad.

Howie does as well as any of the others. And his attitude was less 'bullish' in this episode. I really don't know who I think should win at this point. All of their good and bad points.

8. Hexerott

Hexerott New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Tre should still be there. That was a real crock to let him go. There were at least 2 others that should have gone before him on his team.

9. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    Well, he had two bad outings in a row. He got a second chance, and he didn't do enough to turn things around. Why he stuck with that tenderloin dish that the judges clearly weren't enthusiastic about is beyond me. He seemed to think that the only thing they didn't like was that the potatoes were oversmoked, but that clearly wasn't the case.

Really, though, the reason he's gone is that he was in the executive chef position. He didn't do a worse job than anyone else on his team, but he was ultimately responsible for the food that left the kitchen.

10. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Tre had some moments of brilliance in past challenges, but he also was at the bottom a fair number of times.

And in this challenge, I think he did deserve to be the one sent home. Not only were his dishes bad, but hr did not take charge and ensure that the food that went out of the kitchen was good. Where Sara was decisive and took charge to make sure things were right ("No, that isn't right, cook those again"), Tre was just wishy-washy and didn't take responsibility for anything. That was his job as exec chef and he failed at it.

11. katbug

katbug Tivo Junkie

Oct 2, 2003
    N. AZ
    I think they were both crazy to volunteer for the exec chef position, knowing that the exec chef is ultimately responsible. Someone has to do it though, so I can understand it the first time around. What I don't understand is why they didn't mix up their positions for the second night to show that they were all involved equally. They had a problem with some not being as involved the first night and said as much (even going so far as to really dogging on whats-his-name for his front of the house delivery...sweating, unorganized, etc.). That should have been enough to say "hey, let's try someone else".

I was surprised to see Tre go too...I think he ultimately was one of the most talented, but the way they have these shows set up, one big "oops" moment and you're gone. Howie really, really , really needs to leave next. I just wouldn't want him as my chef, dripping all that sweat into my food. Ick!

12. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I was surprised that after the first night Dana showed up in a polo sort of shirt and jeans. It didn't fit the decor of the restuarant.

I guess Brian didn't sweat as much.

Tre was definately wishy washy, he was more 'casual' is what he called it. Mellow. I remember him saying something about being relaxed. I thought wishy washy. As an Exec Chef, he needed to be on top of things. And he wasn't.

I do want to add that CJ and Casey were not big assests to the team. Casey in the quickfire was just saaaad.

13. logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    What do you get if you win the main challenge? In the early rounds, you get immunity for winning the quickfire but as far as I can tell, there is no tangible benefit to winning the main challenge. Do they tally up the wins at some point? (I didn't watch season 1 or 2.)

14. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    They got $200 extra for their wine budget and the "services" of Steven as sommelier.

15. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    No, they got that for the first, smaller challenge of the episode.

16. katbug

katbug Tivo Junkie

Oct 2, 2003
    N. AZ
    I don't remember a prize for the winner in a while. Would make it worthwhile not to put yourself in the spotlight.

17. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    They didn't give a prize to the winner, which I thought was odd. Maybe there WAS a prize, but the prize wasn't from a sponsor and they didn't put it on TV.

That being said, Tre did say he could do it in his sleep, and did a terrible job. If he hadn't made bread pudding before, what made him think he could do it in his sleep? That seems like stupid boasting to me. I think it bit him in the hiney. He got complacent. He may be one of the best cooks, but in a competition, it takes more than boasting to win. I think it was wrong of him to try and spy. I think that also bit him in the hiney. He figured that Team Garage/Quatre was going to crash and burn and he just had to ride it out.

He did go out with class, though. I was proud of him for that.

I'm glad that Howie still sucked it up and played as a team. Same with Hung. They all worked together. Even if Howie got mad at Sara with the cooking thing, he took it and went with it and it worked. Joey obviously was jealous, though, calling "Howie dish" being undercooked. I think that was a bit low of him.

Madonna's brother is a restaurant consultant? Seems a bit odd. And the sommalier coming form a previous season really isn't a helpful addition to this season. It should've been a different sommalier.

18. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I think the regular judges respect the risk and I suspect winning that task as the Exec Chef buys you a close call somewhere down the line potentially. What's her name is likely going to get the benefit of the doubt because she stepped up and took the risk.

I think Tre got burned because he made multiple big mistakes. Two of his dishes were bad, one of them being like the most horrific some of them could remember eating, and he was very lazy running the kitchen. I think having the Chef back there probably cost him. Outside of this challenge, though, this show is fairly narrow for most of its course as to what you need to do to go far. Essentially come up with dishes in a short period of time. The final challenge seems to require some skills managing other people in running a kitchen, but outside of this one role in this challenge, the rest of the show doesn't touch on that much at all.

Even when they are put into team's rarely does anyone step up as a leader.

19. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    I don't know if they edited that part to make it look worse than it was, but it seems that you could pull in some random person from the street that would be able to dice onions faster than she did.

20. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    :up: