Top Chef S3E03: Cooking by Numbers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....

Advertisements

I didn't see a thread for this, so hopefully I'm not duplicating.

Casey won the quickfire and immediately turned into a snob. She wasn't helping her team, and disappeared when they were plating their dish? I guess she was leaving all the work to them. Howie and Joey were right that the decisions needed to be left to them, as it was their butts. I think it's interesting that they all kissed and made up when she felt guilt and cried.

Not a bad episode. Hung is still Mr. Superior. :rolleyes:

2. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    He IS a legend in his own mind, isn't he? I (being the evil person I am) laughed when he got spanked in the quickfire challenge. Bwahahaha :p

3. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Hung is awesome, because he's such a prick.

4. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I'm sure t hat's why they chose him, due to his attitude. You've got to have people that will grate on each other. At least, that seems to be the pattern, like Real World.

5. jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004

Advertisements

He's fun to watch, but definitely oblivious sometimes. The whole "So creamy and sweet don't match? Ok..." followed by him smirking and saying "I had to call him out," was ridiculous. I'm guessing that Creamy and Sweet DON'T match if the Creamy tastes like crap.

Sorry to see whatshername go home. She was cute. It didn't seem like she got much airtime at all until this episode, though.

6. pcguru83

pcguru83 RIP Misty

Jan 18, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Seriously. I thought I was pretty familiar with everyone on the show already, but she came as a surprise. She definitely hadn't gotten much airtime until this episode.

7. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I hate the hostess. She's plasticky, stuck up, and just repeats what the judges say.

Nice rack, butterface.

8. jradford

Dec 28, 2004
    A butterface? No way. She's got a hot everything, except she's a terrible host. Plus, I refuse to believe she knows anything about food.

9. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South

Yeah, my wife says it's the most beautiful woman she's ever seen. I would require a lot more research to agree, but it's certainly a valid opinion.

Do you know who her husband (might be an ex by now) is? That was a shocker.

10. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Why is it that when someone wins immunity and their dish is not up to par, they're coasting during the challenge? Meanwhile if you made a bad dish, you made a bad dish. And Tom saying why didn't they taste Casey's dish?! Why didn't the other team taste Camille's upside down cake!

11. SoldOnTiVo

SoldOnTiVo New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Canadian,...
    I think they're either thinking "I have immunity, so I can experiment" and the experiment fails.

or maybe they're just slacking off. :)

12. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    All those desserts looked horrible. What on earth were they thinking?

13. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Padme is/was married to Salman Rushdie. I guess she got sick of the fatwas.

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I thought Casey was surprisingly cute this episode.
    I also thought mohawk boy was becoming rather stuck up with his whole "I've got big balls to experiment with dessert" stance.

15. jradford

Dec 28, 2004
    Dale (dale, right?) is clearly confident, but it was a stupid decision. If desert had been halfway decent, they WOULDN'T have given him credit for doing desert, they would have said, "I'm surprised you chose desert." It wasn't a ballsy choice, it was a weird choice. I did like that at the end he took some blame (maybe too much, it wasn't ALL his fault) for being the reason that whatshername got cut.

16. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I don't think he was completely to blame. They followed too easy on the desert thing.

And, seriously, who does pineapple upsidedown cake with cornmeal? Or, for that matter, for a group of gourmands? Pineapple upsidedown cake is an American tradition, and not upscale by any means. You'd have to do something wonderful with it (maybe some brany or congnac or something - maybe pound cake instead of yellow cake, but not cornmeal).

17. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    He's done this before (to the camera, not to the guest chef judge's face), where he said that the chef "clearly didn't understand the dish", or something like that. He is definitely delusional at times, but they have had one of his type on each season so far, just for the drama of it I assume.

18. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I'll concede that. Maybe its just the lighting.

19. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    She is a terrible host. She also always wears sleeveless, or very short sleeved shirts. I find the scar on her arm distracting. It seems like she wears clothes that deliberately showcases it. If I saw a variety of clothing that hid it as well as showed it, I wouldn't think it was on purpose. It just seems that she's always doing it. It also seems to be the side that she always shows to the camera.

20. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    Just curious --were you around for season 1?

Padma is way better than the robot host of season 1 Billy Joel's daught... errrr.... wife Katie Lee Joel. Now she was a terrible host.

In comparison, Padma is a terrific host.