Top Chef: S09E06 Higher Steaks OAD 12/7/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    So, the whole dinner menu seemed to be rather sad for the steak thing. Everyone just wanted to put their own little heads down and try not to work as a team. Sometimes, the team thing screws you, but sometimes, taking charge, keeps you alive. It's all about how you execute. The girls did a good job of executing, EXCEPT for flashing the steaks too early.

I don't understand sticking the steaks in cold water after putting them on the grill. I'm sure it's to stop the cooking, and I understand that. But it would seem like the steaks would be watery. There was enough of them, and enough grills, that multiple people could be cooking steaks.

The one chick (Heather) is being rather bitchy. I think she's correct on some points, though. Being a chef seems to be a more male dominated industry, so I'm sure she's had to be forceful to get anywhere. She should dial it back a bit.

Now, if you haven't read any of the blogs, I suggest you go read Hugh Acheson's blog for this episode. He makes fun of Ty's eyebrows (and his own). :)

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    In his blog, Tom essentially suggested what you do. There were enough people there that they could have cooked all the steaks from raw to mid-rare directly.

I think booting someone for raw potato was a good move. Raw potato is a lot worse than a steak that's a past mid-rare into medium.

3. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    collichio is an idiot -
    no way he would have had time to grill 200 steaks.

4. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I couldn't believe the chefs thought they could have one chef to grill all those steaks and would expect them to come out perfect. I know the guy used to work in a steak house, but that is not the same as grilling 200 steaks at the same time. I don't know how they could even do that, even with 5 chefs grilling them. I mean, each steak is a bit different from each other and each grill has hotter and colder spots and to try and do them all the same, and be served at the same time seemed like an incredible task.

5. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I haven't read his blog yet. Do you have a link?

6. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    Here's how Tom would've done it, according to his blog:

I actually think Ty was cooking ribeyes. I don’t know whether the chefs had the option of buying and cooking the whole thing, then slicing and serving it, which is how I would have handled making the meat for 200 people were I in their shoes. Furthermore, not every piece of meat is the same -- some have more fat in them, etc. So the process the chefs devised of cooking, flashing, moving the meat was all just too much. It would have been much better to just cook them in one place and be done with them. Working with the pieces of meat Ty was working with, I’d have kept them raw until 15 minutes before they needed to be plated, and then just grilled them, and they’d have been fine. And had they been thicker, they could have been tied, but they weren’t thick enough for that. I think this was a mistake of planning, and, as a result, while many of the pieces were medium rare, others were rare, while yet others, as you saw in the episode, were medium. Cooking them on the grill the whole way, Ty could have accounted for that.​

7. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    That was my thought.

You'd have some people eating when other people's steaks weren't even on the grill yet.

I think they were destined to fail. I have a hard time cooking 6 steaks on a grill at once. Doing 200 would have been ridiculous.

8. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    You can find it on the Bravo website.

9. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Were there enough servers to serve 200 plates at once? My assumption was that you could constantly grill 200 steaks but you don't have to literally serve them at the same time since you'd need a crapload of servers for that.

10. DVC California

DVC California Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I would just fresh grill the judges' table. If they made sure that one table was perfect, this wouldn't be an issue.

11. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    For someone who worked at a steakhouse, I was appalled to see him using LIGHTER FLUID to start all of the grills. I guess they do things differently in NY than in TX.

12. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ

exactly! This is the kind of challange where the only thing that matters is the judges table. COOK THOSE TO ORDER....and who cares what you put out to the masses.

13. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Excellent point!

14. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I still can't find anyone I want to win, just chefs I want to lose with varying degrees of enthusiasm. :)

15. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    This seems to be about the weakest cast (in terms of skill) that I can remember. Add to that there are no heroes or villains and it's less than must-see-tv.

16. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I tried to record this episode twice now and both times it ended up being that stupid art show. Hopefully it gets picked up before the new episode airs this week.

17. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    Agreed. I'd eat all the food because I'm a pig and don't have taste buds.

But they don't seem as good as previous seasons. Especially the "master" seasons, whatever that means. ;)

18. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I think Chuy had the potential to be a hero, but he failed on execution. Heather can be a villain, and they're going on and on about how pushy she is. The "cute" Chris sabotaged (in my opinion) the guy in the second episode with the cooked shrimp.

Part of the problem is that they all have seen the show, and have disected how people get booted off the show. So they're trying hard to keep from making those same mistakes. So what ends up happening is that no one ends up taking a chance and making something great.

19. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    The time to take a risk is during the Quick Fire challanges because you don't have anything to lose, but when it comes to the actualy challange....you just need to do something you can execute well. This strategy will get you pretty far in the "game".

20. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Yeah, this definitely got a :eek: from me.

I watch this show as soon as I can every week. but every week I am not clear why. I'm just not getting the "chef: vibe from this crew, they seem to make pretty plain/boring food and half the time don't even do it well.