Top Chef Masters (4/6)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Frylock, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Apr 8, 2011 #1 of 21
    Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Wow, this went from an enjoyable program to one I don't care about as much. Didn't like Curtis as the judge, and also don't think you can really lump this group of "Masters" in with the first 2 seasons of the show. Are they above the level of Top Chef? Yes. At the same level as the first 2 seasons? Not even close IMO.

2. Apr 8, 2011 #2 of 21
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Hard to judge from 1 ep, but having 3 of them not plate during the quick fire was bad!!!

As I'm not in the chef world or know a WHOLE lot about them, I've never heard of any of these chefs.

Hope the season gets better

3. Apr 8, 2011 #3 of 21
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Real Masters won't even do this show. Thomas Keller, who does the Today Show occasionally is nowhere to be seen for example.

4. Apr 8, 2011 #4 of 21
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    You must consider only a dozen or two chefs as "Masters" if you think the contestants from prior seasons wouldn't qualify. Those seasons had numerous michelin-starred and James Beard winners.

This season has chefs on the cusp of being at the level of some of those contestants, but I agree that it's a little underwhelming in comparison.

As far as Thomas Keller goes, he is often nowhere to be seen even in his own restaurants these days. I wouldn't use him as a benchmark of participation by elite chefs. Nonetheless, if chefs of his ilk are your measure, then certainly you are correct as far as I can tell.

5. Apr 8, 2011 #5 of 21
    Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    If you don't consider the Chefs from the past 2 seasons Masters, then you have one very high standard! And even then, I think a few of them would fall in that category.

I recognized a few of them. One of the women, I forget her name, was on "The Next Iron Chef". She didn't win.

6. Apr 8, 2011 #6 of 21
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I'm pulling for Alex Stratta.

7. Apr 8, 2011 #7 of 21
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I think the new format for Masters requires much more time commitment then the previous two seasons did, thus you aren't going to get the same level of contestants.

8. Apr 8, 2011 #8 of 21
    Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I was surprised by this new time commitment. They still are all playing for charity as well. That's a big time commitment for some of them to be giving up!

9. Apr 8, 2011 #9 of 21
    TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    I'm happy to see Masters follow the format of the other 2 shows. I could never get into Masters, because as soon as I got to rooting for a chef they'd either be eliminated or wouldn't be back on for several shows.

10. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    You know, I knew something was different (aside from Curtis) but just having finished Top Chef All Stars it didn't even hit me until this thread that the actual format was different--all chefs started at the same time instead of being broken down into groups like before.

I'm still up in the air about this season. We'll watch because we like cooking shows, but it stinks because we only recognized two chefs (and one was from the Iron Chef show).

11. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I'm in Curtis Stone overload, but I like the other judges so far. :eek:

To me this is just another season of Top Chef but without Padma and Tom.

12. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    I don't know Curtis Stone, but he's fine to me. Obviously he's not overexposed on the Soze Scale.
    As to the chefs, I know most of them. (list from wikipedia)

Know
    Floyd Cardoz — Union Square Hospitality Group (New York, NY)
    Traci Des Jardins — Jardiniére, Public House, Manzanita and Mijita Cocina Mexicana (San Francisco, CA)
    George Mendes — Aldea (New York, NY)
    Mary Sue Milliken — Border Grill Restaurants and Truck (Los Angeles, CA)
    Suvir Saran — Dévi (New York, NY)
    John Rivera Sedlar — Playa (Los Angeles, CA)
    Alessandro "Alex" Stratta — Alex and Stratta (Las Vegas, NV)
    Celina Tio — Julian Restaurant (Kansas City, MO) - only from Next Iron Chef

Don't know
    Hugh Acheson — Five & Ten, The National, and Gosford Wine (Athens, GA)
    John Currence — City Grocery Restaurant Group (Oxford, MS)
    Naomi Pomeroy — Beast (Portland, OR)
    Sue Zemanick — Gautreau's (New Orleans, LA)

On rep I would put Mendes in my exactas. Stratta and Des Jardins will be solid contenders.

As to the format, with these generally lesser known chefs, I think the change is good. It will give them a chance to grow on us rather than being one-and-done.

13. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    :up:
    I agree. I was sick of him before, now I'm really sick of him. I guess he's never heard of over-exposure. Not to mention, Kelly Choi was nicer to look at!

14. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    It's weird to me to see a chef that I kind of know on the show-- I've eaten at Naomi Pomeroy's restaurant Beast quite a few times and talked to her a couple of times, so I guess I'm rooting for her.

15. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Was it me or was the editing poor on this? I mean I don't think we saw all the quickfire dishes, and I don't recall seeing them chose sides for the restaurant wars.

I haven't watched the prior seasons of Masters, but love the original top chef. I'll have to see if this hold my interest.

16. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I only recognize two of them - Mary Sue and the one lady who was on the Next Iron Chef last season (or was it the season before that?). Anyway, never heard of any of the rest of them. Not invested yet, but will keep watching as I do enjoy this entire TC franchise.

17. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Why does Noami wear just a red shirt and not a Chef's coat?

I just watched the bug/10 course meal episode and it was interesting but they fell short on the 10 courses I thought. I didn't agree with the judge's choice for winner.

18. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Ok, I am enjoying the show even though I only recognized two of the people on it this season.

But seriously - somebody needs to hold unibrow guy down and wax that thing. It is profoundly distracting to me. Ok, had to say it.

19. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    For Top Chef Masters, they wear what they wear in their own kitchens. She doesn't wear a chef's coat in her restaurant. She just wears an apron.

Simple as that.

20. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Unibrow guy bugs me since he's almost exactly like one of my old officemates in speech style and appearance. I keep thinking, "Hans, is that you?"