Top Chef: Just Desserts - "Black and White" - OAD 10/20/2010

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Dashel, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Dashel

Dashel Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Baltimore, MD

Advertisements

I was really sorry to see the extremely pleasant, drama-free and fairly competent Erika go, especially losing to the elementary dish by Danielle, who's regularly been on the bottom of both quickfire and elimination challenges. However, it's largely about taste, and the judges' comments made me think that some soap did indeed get into Erika's dessert. I'm not accusing any of the others; maybe something that she was using and washed was not fully rinsed. I know that's happened to me before.

Anyway, it was good episode with good challenges. Zac, the "flamboyant man with the butch palette", had a few predictable but good one-liners about his quickfire win. I also liked someone's comment regarding Morgan running around the kitchen being the return of Seth. I do wish more of the black and white dishes were closer to being actually black and white not dark brown or deep purple and near/off-white. That said, true black or white foods and ingredients are hard to come by. Licorice is one the few things that immediately comes to mind that could have worked.

Lastly, Zac got the option to give up his immunity for a cash reward. Like him I would have held out for more money. One grand was nowhere near enough to forego immunity, even for Zac who's regularly been in the top group. I hope they keep this twist and also introduce its converse, allowing someone who wins money to have the option to give it up to, in effect, buy immunity. Some of the cash prizes in this and the regular show are sizable, 10-20K, and would be hard to give up even for immunity.

2. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    I am starting to despise Team Go Diva (another sponsor plug?), especially Heather who is coming across uber-whiney especially regarding Morgan. And Zac. And Yigit. Oh wait, that's the whole Team. ;) The pettiness is so High School.

I am trying hard to find someone to like, and losing Erica makes it that much more difficult. Morgan had a great line. "I don't trust them as far as I can throw them, and I can throw them pretty far." :D

3. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I liked that twist too, but I would have held out for more than $5,000.

Was there a rule somewhere about not using food coloring? Brown is the new black I guess. I was on the same page as the judges with wondering why people were using red berries to try and make it black. I think if I was presenting, my thought was "a newspaper is black and white and read all over". But really the challenge was to use just black and white.

4. jon777

jon777 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    The Black and white and read/red all over came to my mind immediately as well... surprised that none of them used it. Sorry to see Erika go over Danielle, who should be gone next week as she is by far the weakest of the remaining.

I agree that I think there was more cash to be had if he had held out... 5K shouldn't have been enough to give up immunity...

The missing rice krispy treats are the Just Desserts version of the Pea Puree?

5. Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009

Advertisements

I call it a challenge failure. To my eye none of the dishes truly met the requirements and so judging wise none or all should have failed for this single reason. And just because it is dark brown does not make it better than red or blue they all pretty much failed.

Erica was the one contestants I really liked, I am now rooting for the cake baker but do not like his chances. Her getting booted reminded me of what happened to Tiffany in the regular series. Again a single bad dish despite a decent run, while other bottom dwellers continue on.

As much as I like the series it seems it is losing a bit of credibility this season.

6. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I wonder if it was Dawn Hand Renewal that got into Erika's ice cream.

7. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I find myself rooting for Zak, and also the tall skinny guy that reminds me of catburger - in a tall skinny way (a fellow tcfer) and believe it or not, for Morgan, who does show creavity and expertise.

8. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I'm rooting for the baker first, and Morgan second. I don't really like Morgan, but I despise Heather, so pissing her off with Morgan wins seems a worthy goal.

9. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    LOL, That's what me and my wife were thinking. :)

My favorites for the top 3 (to win) are Zac, Morgan and Yigit.

My wife's Creep'O Meter doesn't approve of Morgan, but when I think about who I think has skill and creativity to win he's up there on my list. As a person I don't think I would like him either. Even though I do think he's kind of creepy Heather's complaining about him as just as off putting IMO.

My underdog favorite is Eric (the baker). He's probably the only person I can consider "normal".

10. Dashel

Dashel Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    This is off-topic from this episode, but I thought I'd share it anyway. I came across another board about TC:JD to which Seth has posted. I don't want to list his several comments here out of context, but if you are interested the thread can be found here http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/129905-top-chef-just-desserts/. Seth's first post is about halfway down page 2.

11. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    Smeek's a mod over there, BTW. It is a great board.