Top Chef IV - "Zoo Food" (OAD 3/19/2008)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jsmeeker, Mar 20, 2008.

1. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

Advertisements

Good episode.

Good celebrity judge. Both the quick fire and elimination challenges were good, too. I really liked the idea of using foods in the animal's diet. Some teams seemed to do a pretty good job with that. And I'm glad they made clear the rules in the elimination challenge. I was really worried they were going to leave it at "5 ingredients", then never tell us what counted and what didn't count.

After his stumble in the first show with his needlessly deconstructed duck dish, Mark has come back pretty strong. Nice to see that.

2. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Yeah, I still need more shows to really start to know the people, but Mark stood out to me last episode and I was glad to see him do well this time.

3. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Yeah.. Same for me. I really had no feel one way or the other for the person that got voted off. Didn't really care.

4. ireland967

ireland967 Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Chicago
    What's the consistency of that glacier Team Penguin made? Is it just like cold jello?

My favorite line was about the mushrooms - It looks like something a bear would produce, not eat :)

5. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002

Advertisements

Yea, those mushrooms looked horrible. She completely overcooked those mushrooms. They looked dried out and tough. Not to mention that the tops seemed to have crusted over.

Note to that chef: Cover your baking dish and the mushrooms won't dry out!

6. SoldOnTiVo

SoldOnTiVo New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Canadian,...
    funny how some of those chefs still have to say "no, I didn't taste it".

Watch just one season (even one episode) of the show and you should know better.
    (those mushrooms did look horrible)

7. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    I know! How can you put something out and NOT taste it first? Are you so good that you never make any mistakes?

8. SoldOnTiVo

SoldOnTiVo New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Canadian,...
    especially since they were trying to "save" things to start with. Some recipes I trust to turn out ok, even if there are little variations. But when you're "improvising" like this; then you just have to taste the stuff to make sure you haven't made something bad even worse (which is what kind of happened in this case).

9. SoldOnTiVo

SoldOnTiVo New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Canadian,...
    'only one way I now to make anything better: beer-batter and deep-fry it. :D

10. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    I certainly wouldn't have served those mushrooms. I wouldn't have even brought them with me to the dining hall. Hell, if they had been served to me at a restaurant, I'd have sent them back. The mushrooms themselves had to have a truly disgusting texture!

Those blinis must have been truly horrible for the other chef to have been booted.

11. SoldOnTiVo

SoldOnTiVo New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Canadian,...
    In a restaurant, I agree. If ins't up to par then trash it. But in the context of a competition, what are you going to do?

Each chef is basically responsible for one dish. Would you want to be the chef without a dish? Even if you used the old "it wasn't up to my standards so I decided not to serve it" argument, I think you'd pretty much be assured of being sent home. (what's-his-name tried it last year during a quickfire. The judges weren't impressed). Or, do you chance it in the hopes that someone will have made something even less palatable?

I understand the decision here, but not the "not testing after having tried to save it" part. To me, that's where the chef fails. I think they'd get credit if at least they said "I did taste it, didn't like the results, but ran out of time to do anything else to it. It was either that or take my ticket home even before the judges table started."

In any case, I think the judges will rip them a new one, but by presenting the dish, they have a chance (albeit a small one).

12. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    As a chef/cook, you should be tasting. Period. That some of these chefs/cooks didn't is dissapointing. And as a contestant on a reality TV show, it really boggles the mind that some of the appear to be not at all familair with the show. Like thye have never seen an episode of it before to help them avoid pitfalls like this.

I'm sure this won't be the last of it, either.

13. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

I dunno.

What's worse? Sending out no food or sending out food you KNOW is bad? remember, this IS supposedly a competition for a restaurant chef. You want to know/see what a chef would do. Should they lower their standards? Many would say no. You don't lower your standards. Sending out bad food could say "I don't care if it's bad. Go ahead an eat my bad food".

In the past, I think we have seen people not present a dish for some reason or other (time issues, maybe). I don't think it was an automatic ticket home.

14. laststarfighter

laststarfighter New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I think the judges insisted on tasting the mushrooms because that would leave one chef without a dish to represent them. I didn't like that they also debated wether to blame the other guy for putting cheese on it. (Sorry, still haven't learned their names yet)

15. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    yeah.. I will say that the judges did seem to request the 'shrooms. Maybe it was a "test" to see if the contestant(s) would simply say "No. Sorry. I can't serve that to you" or if they would go ahead and serve them anyway, knowing they were bad. Afterall, that's essentially what they did to the party guests. They pulled 'em off the table and simply said they weren't as they would like them to be.

16. logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    Team Bear was suppose to have 4 dishes: venison with squash, seared salmon, stuff mushrooms, and cheese & honeycomb on bread. So leaving out the mushrooms wouldn't have been a disaster.

17. BlueMerle

BlueMerle Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Finally got a chance to see this episode. Like many others I was stunned that the mushroom people didn't taste them, especially after they added items to the original recipe. That seems like such a "first month in a pro kitchen" mistake. And like others have said, didn't they watch any of the prior 3 seasons?

I'm starting to like Mark and he has got kudos from Rocco for his use of vegemite and from Wylie for his ability to recover from a lost item.... I think he may be in the final 5.... but I'm not ready to put my money where my keyboard is ... just yet:D

As of now (a whole 2 episodes), here's my list of who will be in the top five:

(in no particular order)

Richard
    Stephanie
    Nikki
    Mark
    Andrew

Remember, I'm not betting on this..:p

18. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    mark has been able to use two ingredients a lot of people turn their nose up at and made them work. Pretty impressive.

Looking forward to next week with the guest chef judge

Rick Bayless. Love that guy.

19. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    But anchovies are actually good and used in a lot of dishes. People just THINK they don't like them.

20. BlueMerle

BlueMerle Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Oh, I forgot about that. I love him too. I think this is his first time on TC, and I'm looking forward to it.

I hope they manage to get Charlie Trotter.... after all he did do one episode of Emeril Live... this has to be a step up:)

P.S. I think the appearance of next weeks guest judge really solidifies the reputation of this show within the "pro" community. Not that most of the others aren't 'A' list, just that the # of 'A' list chefs continues to grow.