Top Chef All stars Reunion

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pmyers, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Apr 7, 2011 #1 of 71
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I've seen a lot of reunion shows and most are horribly boring, but I was entertained and lauged the entire time on this one!

Did Padma really say she wanted to motorboat Antonia?!? LOL

2. Apr 7, 2011 #2 of 71
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Yep.
    And damn what about Ellia going off on Collichio. WOW

3. Apr 7, 2011 #3 of 71
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I loved seeing the behind the scenes stuff with the judges, hilarious. Padma's a bit of a lightweight huh? Two 'gins and tonics'. :)

4. Apr 7, 2011 #4 of 71
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I thought she was right.

Good for her.

It was slightly annoying that they made it look like her comment was based on her elimination when it was clear it had nothing to do with that other than timing.

5. Apr 7, 2011 #5 of 71
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I was waiting for Tom to say "I've eaten at your place, Ellia, and it sucked!".

6. Apr 7, 2011 #6 of 71
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    btw..does anybody have a link or anything for her comments she made?

7. Apr 7, 2011 #7 of 71
    bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    When was this on?

8. Apr 7, 2011 #8 of 71
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    April/6/2011

9. Apr 7, 2011 #9 of 71
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm not sure I understood her point. Was it about Diet Coke? or was it about grass fed beef?

10. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I love seeing the muppets again!

11. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    It was about corn.

12. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    that was my absolute favorite episode and it was awesome to see some of the behind the scenes on it. Maybe having a 2 1/2 year old helps!

13. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    So her arguement was that he should be serving grass fed beef instead of corn fed beef? I'm assuming this must have something to do with the treatment of the animals? What's the difference?

14. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
  15. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Cows did not evolve to eat corn. In order to eat corn and not get sick, they get pumped full of antibiotics. Also, living conditions for corn fed beef are generally poor, compared to grass fed beef.

So basically it's about mass produced/mass grown and processed food vs organic and natural food.

16. Hansky

Hansky Active Member

Nov 17, 2005
    The timing is the very reason it makes her sound bitter. She was clearly bitter in the program, and in both interviews she resorted to the oft-used "sell out" (which rarely means anything) and comments that can't be authenticated (such as what nameless restaurant employees said). Her claims about Tom having no grass-fed could easily be confirmed I would think. Either Tom is outright lying about the market produce, or she is clueless and lying.

She has taken her "non-sell-out" talents to a game show with a cash prize. Twice. She was extremely bitter, and her way to lash out and make excuses was this.

There certainly is a legitimate debate over grass and corn fed beef, and a way to be direct and still make the point. She failed miserably.

17. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I beg to disagree.

The intimation that a once revered chef has resorted to doing Diet Coke commercials is the epitome of someone who is a sell-out.

It's no different than the hundreds of movie stars who only do commercials in Japan because they don't want the American public to know they are "selling-out" and trading in any ethics for cash.

I think she succeeded magnificently.
    Collichio is a self-indugent hack and good for her for not bowing down to him like everyone else.

18. Hansky

Hansky Active Member

Nov 17, 2005
    You provide example of why the term is meaningless as an insult. There is no inherent conflict with him doing a commercial and making money. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of his work as a chef. It is purely in the mind of the person doing the petty insulting.

I'd say the overwhelming vote would be that she came off very poorly, but your last line provides a pretty good clue about your level of analysis. I know relatively little about either of them beyond what is shown on the show and some occasional blurbs elsewhere, so I dont worry about my own petty feelings going in.

19. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    well for one -
    i don't know that anyone said it was an insult and
    for two
    - yeah it shows the "conflict" in the mind of some is that he has zippo integrity
    - and three i don't quite get what you are projecting in my "clue about the level of my analysis".
    - and four - I am happy to be in the underwhelming minority.

Collichio is a ******bag.
    There that's an insult.

20. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I didn't understand Colichio's comment that "I run a steak house. If I didn't serve corn fed beef nobody would come". Huh? I'd think grass fed beef would be a huge selling point. It would certainly appeal to me. :confused: