Top Chef: All Stars "Island Fever" OAD 3/16/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, Mar 17, 2011.

1. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA

Advertisements

So the curse continues.

2. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    What curse?

I liked that Michael said he actually prepared ahead of time on dishes that were from the islands. It seemed like he was the only one that knew how to open the conch - without ruining the shell itself.

Watching Richard trying to get the conch was pretty funny.

3. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    The curse of Antonia being the "Black Hammer"

4. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Can't stand that Mike keeps winning.

5. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA

Advertisements

The curse is that whoever partners with Antonia in a group/team challenge goes home.

6. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Tom's blog seems a little light on details this time around. In what we saw on TV, they commented about Mike's use of butter as being a negative. No mention of it in the blog. I recall Tom taking issue with the pineable in his dish. But no mention of him not liking it. Just talked abotu how much Gale really liked the pineapple.

I wonder if it was a split decision and Tom really preferred Richards? I dunno.. Usually, the blog helps to clarify things. This one? I dunno. Still seems a little murky.

7. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Ditto that.

Glad Tiffany is finally gone, but too little too late.

Rooting for Richard.

8. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Blais is getting a terrible edit this season. Thought for sure he had this challenge (and many others this season) won based on judges' comments.

9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I'm impressed by how Mike seemed to spend time over the break learning techniques and practicing. Like boiling the conch to get it out of its shell. (I wonder I I would have thought of that. When I use live clams for chowder, there is no way I will shuck 'em Just steam 'em 'till they open).

10. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I was always indifferent towards Mike, but I'm actually starting to like him. I'm happy with any of the remaining winning, but I'd sort of like to see Mike take it.

11. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    This, except I really didn't like him last season.

12. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    I couldn't watch when they were trying to get the conch out of the shell. Whoever had the idea of killing it in boiling water first had the right idea, imho. Yanking it out of the shell (and ripping it in half) looked inhumane.

And no, I'm not a member of PETA. And I also realize they might not have a central nervous system and may not feel pain. I'm just a softie who can't watch a live lobster getting dropped into boiling water, and it's one of my favorite foods. :)

13. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I'm hoping it really comes down to Antonia and Richard. I just don't like Mike.

14. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    I think if I went back to the beginning and picked my top 3, only Richard would have been on my list. Mike has been improving big time (beat Mike V!), but Antonia's food just seems very predictable and to me, only "nice". Richard HAS to win though.

And finally, Tiffany goes. Phew!

15. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Like Mr. Soze, at the beginning of the season, Mike wasn't even on my radar. Richard, yeah, he and Jenn were my picks to win. Antonia, well, no, but she has been hilarious this season with her comments, and her cooking has been good. My first instinct is to say I want to see Richard and Antonia duke it out, but Mike has been amazing the last couple of weeks.

16. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    I was pulling for Richard, but I think Mike deserves to win this season.

17. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    you better not watch people shucking oysters. :D

There seems to be a standard way to get teh conch out of the shell without steaming it and without hacking the shell to bits. Saw it on another cooking/food show last weekend. Make a hole at the pointy end. Then insert long screwdirver into hole and twist it around to relase the conch. It slid right out.

18. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    It sounded like both Mike and Blaise had practiced using Conch. I loved how Antonia basically said that her food being plain is a compliment! ;)

19. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    and um....yeah.....HELLO PADMA! That's a great way to start a challange...lol

20. tripmac

tripmac NASA Supporter

Oct 4, 2004
    Statesboro, GA
    Amen