Top Chef: All Stars - "Finale" (OAD 3/30/2011)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jsmeeker, Mar 31, 2011.

1. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Glad Richard won. But both meals looked and sounded great.

2. Seattle

Seattle Active Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA
    I agree. I wonder how much the dessert fix helped Richard. Interesting way to pick Sous chefs.

3. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Yeah, Mike brought his A game, that's for sure.

4. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I liked that the finale was a mini "restaurant wars" hope they continue that.

I'm happy Richard won. I was pulling for him and Carla all season.

5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Doin' the happy dance. Richard's pouting has been annoying, but he has been one of the best top chefs ever.

6. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I loved that they did this. This is what I was hoping they would do before - just have the chefs cook something they love with no twists or such and be judged by that.

It felt like they could pretty much toss a coin and either would be worthy.

Glad that Richard won, but I would have felt good if Mike won - he did present a great meal also.

7. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I wonder if Richard gave Mikey some money like he said he would do if he won.
    The most disappointing thing about this season being over is I can no longer get my Carla fix. I think I have a crush on her.:)

8. ireland967

ireland967 Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Chicago
    Great finale, I'm glad they let them cook their way without preset themes or gimmicks. My opinion of Mike really changed through the season, I thought he was annoying in his first go around, but he really grew on me. Congrats to Blais, a solid season with very few close calls. I wish more of his family could have been there, his wife had a baby girl a couple months ago.

They mentioned the promise Richard made in the live show afterwards - he had already been planning on investing in Mike. I can't recall if it ever came to that, Mike mentioned through his exposure he had sold all available shares in his new venture.

Every dish looked amazing (Mike's first course might be forgettable) but would LOVE to get my hands on either of those fish courses.

9. USAFSSO

USAFSSO Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Las Cruces, NM
    I had seen the preview for this week.You can see who wins by seeing Padima's eye line when she says "You are Top Chef" and knowing who was standing where.

Was a good season, looking forward to the next run.

10. ireland967

ireland967 Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Chicago
  11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I dunno... captain crunch ice cream sounds better than foie gras ice cream to me.

Glad that Richard won. It seemed like he could actually tell which dishes were better than others in this episode! He's growing as a person...

12. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Ditto and ditto!

Was really rooting for Richard. I think Mike is a d-bag and how unclassy to proclaim that he actually won but just didn't get the prize, especially after Richard had promised him some of the money if he won so that they could both open their restaurants. He was definitely a sore loser. I can understand being disappointed, but it went well beyond that with 'everything is always all about me' Mike.

13. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Minor nitpick with Richard - the correct phrase is "tongue IN cheek", not "tongue and cheek".

14. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    The better man won. I just can't get past Mike's first season behavior/attitude. He'll always be a ****** bag to me.

15. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    YAY! I am really happy that Blais won, he deserved it.

16. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    I liked the way the picked the sous chefs this time around. It gave it some added drama without being silly.

17. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    True, but "Tongue & Cheek" makes for a better restaurant name.

18. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Captain Crunch ice cream does sound pretty damn good, but foie gras ice cream can be pretty amazing. I've had it a few times at a local restaurant, and it's great every time.

19. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I think this is the first finale where I didn't have a favorite...so I was happy either way.

20. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I LOVED how they picked the sous chefs and also loved the final challange. Really, a perfect finale and I was happy with either one of the winning.

I do find it ironic that the most creative chef (Richard) has a burger joint. Just doesn't seem like a good fit on the surface, but I'm sure its great!