Top Chef 9/9/09 "Vivre Las Vegas"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mrpantstm, Sep 10, 2009.

1. mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...

Advertisements

I gotta say, I'm really enjoying this season of Top Chef. Dunno, I liked the contestants from last season but this season is just grabbing me a bit more.

Jennifer and Micheal as a team is a winner, no doubt. Am I the only one who thinks there are sparks between them (I hate myself for bringing that up).

Bryan and Mike also made a good team. I'd say Bryan pulled more of the weight since the sauce idea was his but Mike didn't screw up either.

I really thought Mattin was going to be toast given that there is a tradition of contestants going home on their birthdays.

The quickfire elimination was harsh, especially for Jesse who just never found her feet with the show. Oh well.

First man packs his knives. Finally the "favoritism" is over. ;)

2. MrGreg

MrGreg New Member

May 2, 2003
    Why the spoiler boxes?

3. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    About the Quickfire - Loser goes home. I know that they did one at the start of a new crop of chefs in a previous season but have they done it that far in?

Don't you love how Mattin threw Ashley under the bus about making an asparagus voluté? A frenchman with a shiv!

Kevin was as quiet as a church mouse at the judging table.. :)

4. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I think Jennifer has skills, but a local chef pointed out to me that most of her dishes so far have been direct replicas of dishes at La Bernadin. She seemed to do well in this episode, though, and if her "skills" really are based on copying known recipes she will be rooted out quickly. I don't think that's the case though. Could be wrong.

5. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001

Advertisements

I think the entire judging panel (at least Tom explicitly) knew what was going on with that exchange. I want to like Mattin, he's personable, but I think he did himself a major disservice with that lie. And I think Ashley showed enormous class by not calling him on it.

Poor Hector. I feel for him but honestly anyone worthy of the title of cook let alone chef should be able to properly cook a simple cut of beef.

6. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yay, nosering is gone. I'm sorry but watching her prepare food is just like watching a big guy sweating in the food...VERY unappealing.

I kind of liked that Mattin got spanked by being in the bottom of a French challenge. :D On a snarkier note, what's up with the Quick Draw Magraw bandana? Is this to differentiate him as a French guy?

7. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    That might be classy, but not smart in a competition like this!

8. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I've would've liked to have seen what Kevin would have brought to the table. He's my odds on favorite to win this season.

9. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    What a hard core elimination challenge (and quickfie, too). Seriously, the judging panel looked like what you would expect at the final round. The top contenders this year do consistently well. The four top people this week, plus Kevin, are first rate. I think any of them have what it takes to win it all.

They didn't show Kevin making comments, but I think I would have ***** a brick sitting at the table. Might have been scared to say something dumb. The funny thing is that I have had meals at all of the chef's restaurants, with the exception of Jean Joho (and I suppose Kevin too, but he is a contestant ). All but one in Las Vegas, in fact. Sure, two of them were burger joints, but it still counts. :)

Let what happened to Hector be a lesson to you all. Please, rest your meat. :)

10. mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    I'm unsure how Mattin threw Ashley under the bus. He said when they were in the store, no asparagus in the voluté. I don't know whose idea it was to end up putting it on the plate but I think he opposed it.

Ashley had the attitude that Jesse had just before leaving. Exasperated, confused and tired. She did bring up a good comment about this being a big wager for these chefs. I'm sure all this public exposure does have a dark side we don't think about.

11. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    No. I said the same thing to Handan during the judge's table scene. Maybe she's his "work wife" (and vise-versa)? :p

Either way, they really blew out the competition.

I was surprised that the frogs leg team wasn't in the bottom two. No one seemed to like their dish at the table.

12. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I kind of feel the same way about Ashley. That hair? :eek: I keep thinking it looks like she has mange. I understand the look is personal preference, but I just think it looks disgusting. :thumbsdown:

I was surprised we didn't get to hear Kevin make a comment about not getting a chance to cook - which we usually do when a chef gets to/has to sit out for some reason. Of course, he had an enviable position, but this is a COOKING competition...you'd think you'd want to cook.

13. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Especially for THAT group of diners. What an opportunity. But then again, just dining with them is an opportunity.

14. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    I disagree about Mike I., he's leaned on the brothers for the past two weeks. Bryan basically made that sauce for him. He did well the first week, but the second week if the guys would have been in the bottom he'd have been on the chopping block along with Ron. Third week he was technically bottom this week Bryan essentially did the work for him. Tom even said in his blog that they could tell that the sauce wasn't made by Mike.

Ashley wanted to put asparagus in the volute, Mattin said no, she put it on the plate, Tom said did you think about putting the asparagus in the volute, she said yes but it was shot down, Tom ask Mattin if it was true and he said no.

15. GDG76

GDG76 .

Oct 2, 2000
    I can't believe they didn't send Mattin home. It was like a native born Spanish speaker getting an F in Spanish.

Hector was never impressive though and won't be missed. Get rid of Ron next and I'll finally be able to understand everyone. There are clearly 4 favorites- Jen (who seems to make spins on 1 or 2 dishes so I don't think she'll last) the brothers, and Kevin.

Everyone else just seems like fodder at this point.

16. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

Hector impressed with his tofu dish for the pool party. It was a nice bounce back from the deep fried steak the week prior.

17. BadlyDrawnBoy

BadlyDrawnBoy Member

Dec 24, 2001
    San Francsico
  18. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!!

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    I was thinking about Kevin - and being in that position... I do think I'd just sit quietly and take it all in. These are huge personalities - speaking when spoken to is sometimes the best move. WOW! to be at that table... HUGE!!

Kevin is my favorite by far. :) I was excited that he got this opportunity, and actually glad that he didn't mention not being able to cook. He may later, or in a diary session (none were shown of him last night), but there was no reason for him to say such to these chefs or judges...

19. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!!

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    I forgot to mention this... but, I was very displeased with Hector just leaving the Judges' Table with no "thank you" or "it was a great opportunity"... nothing. That really bothered me. Did y'all notice that? or am I reading too much into editing or something?

20. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Just editing, I suspect.

I want to see Jenn cook something she is NOT familiar with. Something that wasn't devised by Rupert.

Does Jennifer have an accent? She seems to mumble all the time, and I can't tell if it is an accent or speach impediment or ???