Top Chef 6/13/07 ***spoilers***

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by montag, Jun 14, 2007.

1. montag

montag New Member

Mar 10, 2001

Advertisements

I've always thought this show to be, by far, the best food reality show on TV and last nights premiere only confirms my thoughts. This show is really about cooking and skill. It's great to see that they haven't messed with the formula after a few seasons to get more ratings.

The only downside, was the guy from Mississippi or Alabama. He had very little, if any, culinary training and he appeared only selected for drama/comedy. Otherwise, I think this may be the strongest group of contestants yet. A lot less caterer's and home cooks and mostly executive chefs/owners/sous chefs/etc...

I loved the guy from Dallas that lost the quick fire and won the elimination comp. But I predict that Marcel's buddy (Hung?) is going to win it all.

2. ireland967

ireland967 Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Chicago
    I'm also impressed with the talent they cast for this show. I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt that they actually did want someone with a background in Southern cooking for variety, and casting one idiot out of 15 isn't bad. A cup of fruit in a carved out apple as an amuse-bouche?

I like how the guy from Brooklyn who didn't plate his frog legs saved himself by quoting from Anthony Bourdain's book. I don't think his dish would have been in the top two, but I see him as a contender. I like him, Mohawk from Chicago (who has an impressive resume), the woman who won the Quickfire and the two elimination finalists.

3. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    Hung looks at though he's going to be one of the breakout stars of this season.

4. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I agree with everything that's been posted so far. Looks like a very strong field. I'm glad the show is back!

5. montag

montag New Member

Mar 10, 2001

Advertisements

I loved it! But wasn't it the guy that has his own restaurant in Miami?

6. ireland967

ireland967 Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Chicago
    You're right, acc to the Bravo site its Howie, exec chef in Miami. He must use lots of sunblock :D

One other thing I thought was funny - the winner this year gets the standard spread in Food and Wine, but instead of the Kenmore kitchen they get a Europe trip. Also, Padma mentions the $100,000 prize is sponsored by the "Glad family of products" this year. I'd laugh this one off as a silly promo stunt, but I am the jerk that has bought two nice Global knives based mostly on recommendations from season one :eek:

7. justapixel

justapixel Domestic Extremist Staff Member

Sep 27, 2001
    The Nanny State
    :up: They really upped their game. I love this show over the Gorden Ramsey one, because they have real cooks showing their stuff. I agree that Hung is going to be a top contender, but don't discount Tre. My prediction is: those two are going to battle it out this season, leaving everybody else in the dust.

The right guy went home. Just because you cook Southern Food, doesn't mean you don't know what an amuse bouche is. Surely he could have done something better than carve a hole in an apple and stick fruit in it. While Tre's was uninspired - wrapping a thin piece of steak around some blue cheese and spearing it with rosemary - it was something, and Mississipi guy could have done it. His "cooking killed my dad" story was kind of creepy too.

Should be a good season. :up:

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    Apparently the show won't be an infomercial for Kenmore this season. :p
    I'm rooting for the tall guy...because he's the tall guy.
    Either the competition is really short, or that guy's 7 feet tall.

9. montag

montag New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    I saw a split second shot of GE Monogram when they entered into "The Top Chef Kitchen". I guess Kenmore dropped it's sponsorship.

10. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    Yep. And he's buddies with Marcel. :)

11. etexlady

etexlady Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2002
    East Texas
    PHP:
    And he's buddies with Marcel.
    Please, I hope Marcel has not influenced him to put "foam" and "gelee" on every plate.

12. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Am I the only one that watched the "4 stars all stars" episode?

If you didn't catch it, grab a repeat, because it's a hoot.

Jan

13. Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
    This was really fun to watch and the competition is fierce. Gonna be a good season.

And that tall guy, he's SUPER TALL!!!!

14. pdhenry

pdhenry Oh, my aching back

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I'm 6-1 and I can walk under a commercial kitchen hood. The hood was about at his nose level.

15. Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
    I think it was Howie who was standing next to super tall guy and Howie didn't even come up to his shoulders!

16. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    Just watched yesterday, and so far I'll agree Tre and Hung look like they have SERIOUS game.
    Is it CJ that is the giant's name? That one shot with them all lined up with Howie next to him was hilarious.

17. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    And BTW what's up with Padma's arm? Icky scarred looking thing going on. But man, she's smokin! And Salman is done I hear. That is/was a weird pairing for sure.

18. montag

montag New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    I believe it was the result of a motorcycle accident.

19. TivoDaddy

TivoDaddy Active Member

May 3, 2000
    Bay Area
    I also enjoy this show because it is more experienced chefs who've done their time battle it out. I enjoy the format where it's an individual's skill and creativity pitted against others instead of a team effort where you rely more on the weakest link.

I even learn new things like what is an amuse-bouche. :cool:

I noticed Padma's scar last season. She's still hot! :D My favorites so far are Micah, Tre and Hung.

20. jwehman

jwehman Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Superior, CO