Top Chef 03/23/11 "Last Supper"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by rgr, Mar 24, 2011.

1. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003

Advertisements

First two points:

Michael gets $5,000 for the quickfire, but Richard gets $0 for the elimination? Sure, winning it is probably worth more than $5,000 to him, but the money would be nice as well.

The second challenge envelope doesn't seem fair. One of the chefs could have completely blown the main challenge and still come back to get in the finals. In this case, though, I think Michael was a tad stronger in the main challenge and also won the second challenge, so it's not a big deal.

Also, good to see Richard come out on top going into the final, that should boost his oddly flagging confidence.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I'm happy to see Blais in the final again. I hope he wins. Mike I. will be a good competitor.

3. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ

I totally agree and I hated that twist. It seemed like Mike did much better on the elimination challange than her but it meant nothing. Then again that might have swung the favor in his direction with the split vote.

4. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    The twist was dumb and I wonder if the producers didn't sway the judges towards Mike's dish because a Mike vs. Richard finale is more dramatic than a Richard vs. Antonia finale.

5. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

Advertisements

I'll say what I always say when someone suggests this.

I say no. Over and over, Tom clearly states the judges have the say and vote on the food they eat at that challenge. You can believe him or not. I believe him. It seems his blog for this week's show is not up yet, so it's hard to get the real scoop. Also, one could argue having Antonia in the finale is equally compelling as it presents a chance for a woman to be the Top Chef All-Star.

6. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    btw....I'm not a big Antonia fan. Everything she cooks just seems to be straight up food and she never seems to vary or try to "think outside the box". Now maybe that is her strategy and not how she is in real life, but I just find it boring.

7. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I didn't like the twist either, but if Mike had been eliminated I wouldn't have mind so much. ;)

8. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I dunno how gumby Mike has ended up in the final.
    It's a joke.
    50% of the all-star chefs are better than he is including Antonio.

oh yeah i forgot - this is a reality competition show engineered by producers to do whatever they want.

i call BS.

9. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    Really? He's won most of the recent challenges, including topping Michael V. I don't (try not to) get over-involved in the drama-edits portraying him as a *****, and I think his food looks pretty damn good. I still want Richard to win, but Mike has earned his way there.

10. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    This. I think the Richard/Mike face off is right on the money. Mike has proven himself to be a much better chef than I thought on day one.

11. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Agreed. He isn't much more likable, but he has put a lot of effort into researching and practice of different techniques in preparation for the show.

12. Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    I did not mind the twist if its use was a legitimate. I can certainly believe that all those eating could have a vote and it come to a tie, in which case that tie breaker was a fine format. If there was a clear loser I am fairly confident they would have been sent packing with no need for a tie breaker.

I am sure the Mike vs Richard final may have played a part in the final outcome, but I am sure that Antonia did well and deserved some respect.

Should be a fun Final. GO BLAIS!

p.s. Anyone wish Mike wins?

13. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Agreed. I believe them that they vote on taste. I argue this every season but everyone seems to think that the producers decide. I could think of way better finales than Blais vs Mike and if I was able to have the powers that people give to producers I could think of far more dramatic or far more skill for the finale.

Know what would have been a better "good guy vs. villian?" Marcel vs Blais. Better "skill vs. skill" Angelo vs Blais. Best "showdown from his season" Antonia or Dale. "Fan Favorite" Blais vs Carla. No matter how it would have panned out, people are going to complain that it's somehow rigged by the producers to get someone they didn't like to the win. How about occum's razor? Maybe everyone here are pretty damn good chefs since it's All Stars, you didn't taste the food, and maybe Mike had a better day than Antonia.

As others have said, he's stepped up his game. He played middle of the radar early on and while he isn't a great guy, he knows how to play the game that's why he's here. If the producers were really involved, Marcel would be here right now. Also remember, that Mike played in (arguably) the hardest season and got fairly far (memory is failing me, 5 or 6.) He isn't a bad chef, he's just an ass that plays the game.

God no, I've been on team Blais since the first episode of his season.

14. Roadblock

Roadblock New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Including Morimoto in the elimination challenge was a terribly unfair idea, so I'm glad they had the twist. Too bad Wolfgang didn't stick with the flavor he liked better (Antonia's).

15. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Yeah, I'm pulling for Mike. I find Blais' attitude annoying. He "hates everything he cooks" but acts like he believes he's so much better than everyone else. :rolleyes:

Mike has an abrasive personality for sure. But I recognize the personality from my days living in NY/NJ and don't mind it too much. And clearly he prepared himself well for the past few episodes. :up:

16. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I am in a win/win. I would be happy if either wins. As jradosh said, Mike is just a guy from NY/NJ - my cousins have that same personality.

I have never seen the allure of Angelo's food so I am glad he is not around. I would have loved to see Dale and Richard in the final.

17. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm happy either way. I like both of them.