Top 25 Most-Recorded Shows Is Flawed

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by PopcornGuy, May 25, 2007.

1. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    What's going on with the Top 25 list on tivo.com:
    http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-tco/top25.do?show25=seasonpass

Many notable shows are missing...American Idol, Lost, Heroes, Desperate Housewives, all the CSI's and L&O's...I could go on!

"Most-Recorded shows are from Season Pass rankings based on anonymous, aggregated data, for the week ending 5/20/2007; +/- represent weekly changes in rank." I can't imagine people are doing single episode recordings of the more popular shows. And based on discussion threads alone the data can't be accurate. So, what's going on? Did they post 26-50 instead? :confused:

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It even has Studio 60 in the top 5. I realize many people still have S60 on their SP list, but I refuse to believe it is in the top 5 recorded shows, or appears on that many SP lists. Heck, it hasn't even aired in over a month (until last night).

So I think you are on to something here. :confused:

3. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Well I'd like to think that most TiVo users are above watching AI :p But the rest of those omissions are pretty suspicious, I agree. OTOH, the unusually high ranking of certain SciFi shows makes a little sense based on the technophile demographic angle...

4. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I wonder since AI is generally talked about the next day, that a bunch of tivo people just watch it live!

5. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I think it is flawed. It says it's based on Season Pass rankings. If by that they mean position in the Season Pass Manager, then that's a bit silly. I don't generally order my SPM by how much I like the show. Pretty much the top will be the most recently added Season Passes that needed the "record all episodes" treatment. And often a newly created Season Pass will stay at the bottom as long as it doesn't conflict (though periodically I move once-a-week local channel stuff to the top and often-repeated Sci-Fi/Discovery/etc. stuff to the bottom).

Also, I suppose folks without two tuners will, when presented with a conflict, watch their favorite show while another records in the background. The favorite show goes unnoticed by anonymous data collection.

6. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Many of the shows (but not all) had a + change of 10 or more. No shows in the top 25 dropped to a new position in the list. House, The Sopranos, and Boston Legal seemed to keep a high rank but even those moved up. I don't know what the rankings were last week, but the #1, 2 ,4, 5, 6, 9, and 10 shows are not even in the list now!

7. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Maybe since those shows ended for the season they were removed from the list? I would think both Lost and Heroes would have been on that list as well.

8. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    When does Big Love start? Did it maybe start to appear in the ToDo List? That could explain it's jump.