Tools to open an old Premiere XL -- and what to strip, if anything

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by snicklefritz, Mar 7, 2021.

1. snicklefritz

snicklefritz New Member

Jan 4, 2010

Advertisements

I hate throwing things in the trash. Is it worth it to strip anything from my old Premiere XL -- it has its original 500MB hard drive, not large -- or do I just take it to the scrap yard? I believe I need Torx screwdrivers to get this open -- what size? I can't believe it's hard to get out the hard drive and fan, but not sure if this is worth the effort. The goal is not to make money but not sure anyone would pay shipping plus a few dollars I'd spend on the screwdrivers.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its still good if it has lifetime subscription and you could sell it as is, for parts or use.

The XL has a 1TB drive, namely TCD748000. (see back label.)

3. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Torx 10 to remove the case. T15 to remove the fan.

You can easily Google these things as well. Here's the first result I found: TiVo Premiere XL4 Repair

The Premiere still has decent value if it has a Lifetime subscription. If it doesn't, then it cannot be be activated again and the motherboard is essentially worthless. The hard drive, fan, and power supply may have some value to someone on ebay.

A quick search on ebay shows people buying units for anywhere from $25 to $80 with the higher value purchases having the box, cables, remote, etc. tivo premiere -lifetime | eBay

4. snicklefritz

snicklefritz New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Thanks to both respondents. I'm an old fogey (sp?) and did didn't think to google. The machine does not have a lifetime subscription -- I corrected this mistake when I upgraded my Tivo! -- so this is valueless except for parts. I really don't want people to buy this thinking it works, which is what I fear is happening on ebay. I do have the remote and manuals but not the box.

5. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Advertisements

Drop it by a Goodwill..................

If it's an XL - the remote should be a GLO - I used my GLO for several years after purchasing a Roamio that would do RF