Took a walk on the dark side

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jcthorne, Jul 13, 2019.

1. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I have been with Tivo since the beginning. 1999 Sony Series 1...you know the story.

Also have a pretty advanced Plex server that has been mostly viewed through the plex app on our Tivo Bolt.

Really wanted to try out an alternate, streaming centric solution for our home theater. I purchased an Nvidia Shield, an HDHomeRun Extend and even upgraded our internal network infrastructure to 10GBE networking.

Its been up and running for a couple weeks and thought I would report where I am.

Nvidia Shield is an incredible Plex client. EVERYTHING just direct plays. HEVC, all audio codecs EVERYTHING.

HDHomerun, at least as implemented in Plex DVR is not ready for release to the family. Interesting toy to tinker with but its NOT stable and NOT a tivo replacement. I actually think is the Plex DVR software that is mostly to blame but without that, the HDHomerun is not a well integrated solution so why bother. Caused multiple lock ups of my Plex server which had been running 24/7 without a single lock up for years.

I am back to using Tivo for OTA recordings. Mostly only news and morning shows at this point. Looking forward to the android TV app to access the tivo recordings.

The nvidia Shield is staying. Its such a major improvement over the plex app on the Tivo there is just no going back. Other streaming services 'just work' and since OTA tv is no longer the center of our viewing universe, there is no reason to use the Tivo for that purpose.

For now, we will use the harmony remote and swap between the Shield and Tivo for viewing. Likely when tivo releases the android tv app, we will use the Shield exclusively and just keep the tivo to do what it has always done best. DVR OTA tv shows....it just works.

The HDHomerun is in its box and headed back to Amazon...
    The 10G networking, I really feel was a waste of money. Overall things are NOT 10x faster. The network is ok, but there are too many hardware obstacles on our systems to transfer data all that much faster. I am keeping the 10G network hardware and will grow into it over time but knowing what I do now, would not have ventured down this path. Its not cheap, its not easy and there are a lot of incompatibilities to work through.

dlfl, kpeters59 and krkaufman like this.
  2. Brilliant_Donut

Brilliant_Donut New Member

May 1, 2018
    Plex TV is awful. The UI is badly lacking. If your looking for a good replacement for TiVo look at the Channels DVR. You have all the hardware you need.

getchannels.com

3. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree that the Shield is a great device for streaming apps. I got one last year solely for this purpose (I know, overkill;)) since my Roamio Pro was not cutting it. I have other devices I can use for streaming (Amazon Fire TV 4K, Roku Ultra, Sony XBR-65Z9D), but the Shield is the superior product and has become my go-to streamer.

jcthorne likes this.
  4. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    And why did you upgrade to 10gbps? There is no good reason for a residential user to have 10gbps at this point. How is your NAS set up? How do you have almost 500TB of space there? It looks like it would top out in the 100-150TB range, depending on the size of the drives used.

5. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    You are correct, unfortunately on the networking. Did not achieve much. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

NAS is a DS3611xs with 2 expansion chassis. Total of 36 drives, 3 arrays. 2x arrays with 12x12tb drives. 1 array with 12x10TB drives. Second NAS (mounted to first) is a DS2418+ with 8x10TB drives. Max single volume limit in current Synology systems is 108TB plus dual redundancy. My current unformatted capacity is approx 480TB. Formatted to approx 360 with dual redundancy on each array.

6. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Holy crap, that's a lot of content. What is it all?

7. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Same as everyone else really. Movies, tv shows, music. Yes I hoard. yes its a hobby.

Bigg likes this.
  8. JLV03

JLV03 Member

Feb 12, 2018
    If the TiVo is being used just for OTA, couldn't a computer program (kmttg or PyTiVo) be used to offload the shows to your NAS?

jcthorne likes this.
  9. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    I just started playing with Channels DVR and it's pretty nice. If you enable the beta, you can add TV Everywhere channels too so it blends OTA & Philo into a single DVR which is nifty. I'm still on the 30-day free trial, not sure if I'll start up a real subscription, but it's given me something to think about.

Keep in mind, you DON'T need to buy the apps (which are pricey at around $25 per platform), those are included for free w/ the DVR subscription.

BillyClyde likes this.
  10. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    What a great idea!
    I think you're on to something.

jcthorne likes this.
  11. Brilliant_Donut

Brilliant_Donut New Member

May 1, 2018
    Yep. It's great software and the best DVR, IMO. Assuming you have the hardware (NAS, Tuners, etc) and the technical ability to set it up.

BillyClyde likes this.
  12. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    What's do you mean by Nvidia Shield?

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  14. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I'm sure that's not what he meant. Unless he was an idiot, he would have Googled "nvidia shield" himself before posting.