Too Many Suggestion Recordings Since Hydra (final)

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by macfactor, May 1, 2018.

1. May 1, 2018 #1 of 72
    macfactor

macfactor New Member

Aug 22, 2013

Advertisements

Tivo suggestions recordings are going crazy since I upgraded to the final Hydra build. It is recording 30 or 40 shows a day now. Pre-Hydra it was 2-5 a day and I was part of the Hydra beta and it was even lower during that period. Has anyone else noticed this? Not sure if I can set this to a lower setting somewhere or if I just need to turn suggestions off?

rwzeitgeist and Vincent Bonanno like this.
  2. May 1, 2018 #2 of 72
    JolDC

JolDC Active Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Same here. Got the latest overnight and my Bolt has recorded over 50 suggestions today.

3. May 2, 2018 #3 of 72
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Unless the previous thumbs ratings are gone and the new suggestions are inaccurate, I think a larger inventory of recordings is better. No space is taken and no additional wear on the drive.

4. May 2, 2018 #4 of 72
    macfactor

macfactor New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Curious about the "No space is taken and no additional wear on the drive" comment. How would this be possible? These recordings are not in the cloud so they are going to the drive and I may be wrong but I believe the space is taken, it's just that the space counter doesn't accurately reflect them since it is only looking at your actual recordings as these will be deleted if space is needed. Seems to me this would cause excessive wear on the drive.

Can you explain what you mean?

5. May 2, 2018 #5 of 72
    jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland

Advertisements

The drive is always recording live TV for all tuners, so a suggestion is just labeling that and allowing you to watch it after the fact. Drive use is the same regardless of a table registering something as a suggestion or just as a part of the buffer. Space counter is accurate, it is only for recordings that the user wanted through OP, WL, etc. Thus, it does not include suggestions or recently deleted.

macfactor likes this.
  6. May 2, 2018 #6 of 72
    dfreybur

dfreybur Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Last night yet another user interface loaded. "Go horizontal" was the message.

It fixed a bug - Suggestions now list what show it it.

Now it appears to keep recording with the target of keeping the disk full. So shows recorded by actual request have priority with suggestions taking up the rest. I have no idea how that's going to impact the deleted shows folder. Honestly, I have wondered for years why this isn't the standard behavior. Record anything in any genre we've ever recorded and let us toss away suggestions. But there better be some sort of deletion based on rankings for that to work.

As expected the real improvement didn't happen - Bosch and The Expanse seasons still don't appear. I get why - This was a software update not a database update.

7. May 2, 2018 #7 of 72
    macfactor

macfactor New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Ok, I get it now. I will need to confirm that the Suggestions are from active tuners though. I have deleted about 200 shows over that few days and though I am not positive it seemed some were from channels I have never visited. I will confirm. I think we are saying the same thing about the space counter.

I have, for now, shut off Suggestions. Prior to the update I was getting some decent recordings and the whole process seemed more selective. Now it is just to most random stuff and I have not seen a single show I would watch. Really a shame too because it seemed very good at finding movies I would like prior to the update. Of the over 200 items deleted I think 1 was a movie and the rest were TV shows I have no interest in.

I guess it is possible my thumb ratings disappeared with the update and it has no idea what I like. I have always had an issue with the thumb ratings not following me to new Tivo boxes. Seems these should be stored in a cloud and accessible to any box on the account. I rarely do them anymore because they just get wiped when I upgrade - seems like a waste of time.

JayMan747 and Vincent Bonanno like this.
  8. May 2, 2018 #8 of 72
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    As mentioned above, it just might be that user thumbs up/down ratings got overwritten by the recent update. A good time to pick up doing them again--

9. May 2, 2018 #9 of 72
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My Hydra box is not used much. It doesn't have a cable card, so only two channels can be recorded, both manual. But I see a suggestion being recorded every time I look. I just ran the clear thumb ratings and suggestions. Maybe that will help. I never left suggestions enabled before. If this is typical I guess I'm lucky.

After a clear of thumbs & suggestions I still have them. I have a single 1P, for Hardball. It still wants to record Maury. That's a stretch.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  10. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    They both have “Talk Show” in the description. Not a stretch.

JoeKustra and Mikeguy like this.
  11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That explains the PBS show Civilizations. It's also a documentary.

Good call. I see every talk show trying to record.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  12. Vincent Bonanno

Vincent Bonanno New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    My suggestions list is so long and scattered that it's unusable. Scattershot selections. Absolutely terrible judgment from the Tivo OS. I'm turning off suggestions until I get feedback that Suggestions are more focused.

Suggestions right now are awful.

JayMan747 and MMG like this.
  13. Mike McBride

Mike McBride New Member

May 6, 2018
    Add me to the list of people not happy with this upgrade. I had to turn off suggestions as well, plus I have been unable to get my PC to be visible to my Bolt in the Devices menu.

14. macfactor

macfactor New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    I have turned suggestions off and will leave them off until I hear this function has been improved. Something is definitely broken. I had much fewer recordings prior to the update and they were much closer to what I actually watch.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  15. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    So, has nobody confirmed that thumbs were wiped or remain intact? That seems the most likely explanation, as opposed to some algorithm problem.

16. macfactor

macfactor New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    In my case I don't think they were wiped. I have been setting up a new 4K panel and looking at the listing closer than usual. I am seeing things I liked a long time ago so I think in my case there is something wrong with the Suggestions algorithm.

17. dfreybur

dfreybur Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    I see the same thumbs ratings on every show I've looked at.

What it looks like to me is it weighs something more heavily than it used to. I think genre. I picked a genre I'm not interested in and did thumbs down on a bunch of shows in that genre. It stopped recording suggestions in that genre.

In the past I focused a lot more on thumbs up than on thumbs down. This version I'm tuning the suggestions by handing out thumbs down by genre.

An interesting detail - I do thumbs down on a lot of sports but not hockey or car racing. It noticed that and did suggestions recordings of the hockey playoffs. Hockey is in playoffs, who knew ...

18. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Thanks. That's surprising that the algorithm seems to have been adjusted.

19. MMG

MMG early adopter

Dec 11, 1999
    Birmingham,...
    I just took a look at suggestions and there were about 750 of them. Of those, I had no interest in about 95% of them. I deleted all of them last night and this morning there are about 100. 95% of those are duds too. It’s like it’s using some thumbs data and shot-gunning the rest based on what channels I primarily watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Vincent Bonanno and Mikeguy like this.
  20. Vincent Bonanno

Vincent Bonanno New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Does anyone know if Tivo Suggestions has calmed down?