Too late to initialize swap?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Murdock, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Murdock

Murdock New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    I recently upgraded my DVR40 to a 300 gig drive and now that the drive is filling up the tivo is starting to run slow.

I followed the Hinsdale instructions, the only thing I changed was the swap from 127 to 160. I didn't realize at the time that I had to run tpip to initialize the larger swap. Now that it is upgraded and zippered is it too late to safely initialize the swap with tpip?

I have also noticed that most people are adding the -r 4 (Skip factor?) when upgrading to a larger drive. I did not do this either as it is not mentioned in the Hinsdale instructions.

I'm not sure if the fact that my system is running slow is due to the swap not being properly initialized and if running tpip now would resolve it or if I should redo the upgrade following the Weakness instructions instead of Hinsdale.

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    You can run tpip to initialize the swap now. Keep in mind that there are two different versions of the utility, with different commands to initialize the swap. It probably won't help with the slowness of the TiVo, however. The swap is mainly used to recover from a GSOD.

The -r 4 switch is used for drives larger than 274GB, to change the block size. It lets the OS address the entire drive as a single partition.

As you have found, the Hinsdale guide is very out of date. I recommend using the info found on mfslive.org . The tools have been updated and the bugs (most of them) removed, so you won't have to worry about the swap file in future upgrades. It also explains many of the switches in the users guide.

Hope that helps,
    robomeister

3. Murdock

Murdock New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Thanks for the link, I found the answers to all of my questions there. I think I will redo my tivo using the mfslive cd rather than risk having problems in the future.