Tons of (*free) items in the Tivo Store!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jmccorm, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Mar 6, 2020 #1 of 10
    jmccorm

jmccorm Special Forum Guest

Oct 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    There's a ton of free accessories in the TiVo store.
    Back up the truck! Get everything you need!

* - Surely you don't think there would be any catch, do you?
    Answer: Yes. You go through checkout, and you pay just for shipping and nothing more. Now you're on your way to receive a bunch of free toys to play with! Right? Except when you go into your order history on the TiVo customer support page, it shows that you're paying full price for every item you've ordered and the full amount is charged to your credit card.

Ooops?
    Now, if someone else would like to confirm...
    Accessories

Tivo-Store-Free.png

Noelmel likes this.
  2. Mar 6, 2020 #2 of 10
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I can duplicate all of the above right up to the point of sale. Knowing the likely outcome, I'm not hitting the final button of course.

3. Mar 6, 2020 #3 of 10
    Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    I still have a $199 Roamio in my cart that I never could get to flow through complete to checkout, so this really screwing it up!

4. Mar 6, 2020 #4 of 10
    weaver

weaver Member TCF Club

Feb 27, 2004
    New...
    When I tried it now there are no prices listed, just a dollar sign, and when I tried to put an item in the cart it did not add it to the cart.

Noelmel likes this.
  5. Mar 6, 2020 #5 of 10
    tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Darn.......... I missed the sale. I wanted to buy the "No ads" feature for my Tivo.

Mikeguy and Noelmel like this.
  6. Mar 6, 2020 #6 of 10
    jmccorm

jmccorm Special Forum Guest

Oct 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    You are wise.

After making the purchase, I happened to remember that there was a 'Your Orders' screen at TiVo's support website. Perhaps I was a little... enthusiastic? It was a shock to see that my total had reached $386.73, but luckily, they offered a cancel button. Odd thing though, everything I ordered ended up being described as 'HDMI Cable 4k'.

Here's what I was led to expect when I whipped out the credit card number...

Tivo-Checkout_Sanitized.png

Here's what actually happened...

Tivo-Post-Checkout_Final.png

No harm done, though. I hit the CANCEL ORDER button and all was well.
    I'm not one of those aholes who would have demanded my pile of freebies. :)

Noelmel likes this.
  7. Mar 6, 2020 #7 of 10
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is a weird delay before the prices fill in on my iPad. I wonder if they're using one of the javascript frameworks to fill in the prices dynamically after the page loads and it's failing for you for some reason.

8. Mar 6, 2020 #8 of 10
    vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    There is no such thing as a free lunch. There is no such thing as a free lunch. There is no such thing as a free lunch. etc.

9. Mar 6, 2020 #9 of 10
    weaver

weaver Member TCF Club

Feb 27, 2004
    New...
    Or maybe it was a transition to fixing the problem. Non-zero prices are listed now.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No the prices were there after just a couple seconds. So I'm almost certain they're using some sort of javascript to dynamically load them via a secondary ajax type call. Maybe the code they call on the backend to return the prices was failing and that's why they all displayed as $0 but still charged you full price at checkout.